Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 71415161718192027 ... LastLast

Re: Hong Kong Disneyland Construction

Quote Originally Posted by 0ranos View Post
    And on to a second gate: I liked two ideas for this that popped up in this thread. I believe that a 'sky' themed park could work in the same way that the 'sea' theme works at TDS: by not trying too hard to keep everything perfectly relevant. Essentially, in TDS all the 'sea' elements are on the greater scale, with the 'ports of call' idea, and to a lesser extent with the 20,000 leagues attraction and Sinbad boat ride. And the Little Mermaid area. And the Mediterranean Fortress. But anyway, I digress.

The main success, in my opinion, of Tokyo DisneySEA was its adaption of various elements and somehow making them 'fit' in the theme. Naturally, as people have said already, there are tons of different elements that could fit in the 'sky' category. Can't you just imagine an Indiana Jones ride themed to Machu Picchu? Again, the Vernian and Wellsian elements would thrive here, not only from basic 'air' related ideas, such as 'Around the World in 80 Days' and 'The Island at the Top of the World', but also through even more 'sci-fi' themed literature as well, such as 'From the Earth to the Moon', and 'John Carter of Mars', and 'The Time Machine'. And let's not forget all the great Disney and Pixar properties that could fit here, such as UP, and Treasure Planet, the Rescuers, Soarin', Dumbo, Peter Pan, Aladdin, and others I'm sure I'm not thinking of. In short, it doesn't necessarily have to be about 'air' as an element, but themes and properties that might inhabit it, including most mountain-based adventures. In short, I think it's a brilliant idea for a second gate.
    I see the same potential in that concept to the point that I've drafted a detailed conceptual site plan for a DisneySky park (which I may post on my site plan blog in the coming months when I get the time). It has a bunch of elements you've mentioned - and one of the themed lands is based on Greek Mythology, using your screen name as an attraction title.

Most excellent. I would love to see the layout, and I hope you do put it on your blog. And as to Oranos visiting the park, well, the Titans always needed a representative in the parks, didn't they? :P

I start to like Disney California Adventure more and more. I wouldn't mind HKDL get a copy of that. Maybe call it Disney Adventure or something.

• Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by wishyouwell View Post
    I start to like Disney California Adventure more and more. I wouldn't mind HKDL get a copy of that. Maybe call it Disney Adventure or something.
    That would make absolutely no sense. DCA is custom designed and planned for the Anaheim resort, so there needs to be a unique second gate for HKDL.

It makes as much sense as the DisneySKY concept. DCA has all the "American" elements HK people like: Hollywood section, boardwalk pier section, national park section, Pixar theme lands... People love going to HKDL because it feels like they are going on a vacation in US (without the 12 hours flight).

They don't even need to have one theme for the second gate. After all, the existing Magic Kingdom-style parks don't really have one theme - they're really just a collection of a number of different lands based on different themes (in HKDL it's future, fantasy, adventure, america)

They could just build a 'mirror' park with a different central icon (spaceship earth, tree of life, fantasia hat, anything really) and have a number of completely different lands based around it. Even if they copy entire lands from other parks, there's plenty to choose from - for example, Toon Town, New Orleans Square, Critter Country, Hollywood Land, Studios, Paradise Pier, Cars Land, Bug's Land, Golden State, Africa, Asia, Mysterious Island, Future World etc. Not to mention Pirates Land and Glacier Bay.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Lamp View Post
    That would make absolutely no sense. DCA is custom designed and planned for the Anaheim resort, so there needs to be a unique second gate for HKDL.
    It's also one of the most incohesive, poorly designed parks with by far the least potential of nearly all the Disney parks.

I believe firmly that there are certain '#' gate parks that should stay 'unique' to one resort. DCA, to California - I mean, even disregarding the issues with quality (that are being fixed now, thankfully). Animal Kingdom to Florida. DisneySEA to Tokyo, etc. I wish they would build a unique gate at Paris, too, but until its financial problems are solved that's not going to happen. And Hong Kong and Shanghai should both get their own second gates, too. I realize it's more expensive to do this, but I feel it pays off better in the long run with higher attendance from tourists, and more pride in the park for/from the locals.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Another construction update:

• Minion

ORDDU: Thank you, HKDLFAN, sweetheart! Are you about ready to leave Canada by now? Or have you already done that?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: Thank you, HKDLFAN, sweetheart! Are you about ready to leave Canada by now? Or have you already done that?
    Always a pleasure I've thankfully left Canada but am sadly now in the doldrums of Dubai. HSBC had my dad take a post up in the UAE branch. So it doesn't seem like there will be much Disney for me there for sure.

• Minion

IMO, the site of the second gate in HK is perfect for a DisneySea park. No need for it to be a clone of Tokyo's...there are so many great nautical themes other than those at TDL. Since HKDL doesn't have Pirates, the second gate could have a Pirates land; plans for Glacier Bay could be resurrected; then there's Atlantis; or even ships sailing through space a la Treasure Planet; a Nemo / Living Seas area, etc etc.

For now though, the original park needs much more attention before any resources are diverted to a second gate. It might not happen but HKDL needs a second expansion on the same scale as the one currently underway, if it truly wants to be as successful as the other Magic Kingdoms.
    Down with the Hat

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    IMO, the site of the second gate in HK is perfect for a DisneySea park. No need for it to be a clone of Tokyo's...there are so many great nautical themes other than those at TDL. Since HKDL doesn't have Pirates, the second gate could have a Pirates land; plans for Glacier Bay could be resurrected; then there's Atlantis; or even ships sailing through space a la Treasure Planet; a Nemo / Living Seas area, etc etc.

For now though, the original park needs much more attention before any resources are diverted to a second gate. It might not happen but HKDL needs a second expansion on the same scale as the one currently underway, if it truly wants to be as successful as the other Magic Kingdoms.
    I agree almost entirely with ^this post.

It is entirely true that to truly come into its own, HKDL needs to fill up the rest of its map - it does have room as others have observed, and I expect that if the current expansion pays off in guest numbers, then by the end of this decade we'll have that next expansion after. Disney has never been shy to follow where the money is. The only thing that could derail this is devotion of resources to Shanghai... but that's like saying Disneyland'll be snubbed because WDW is getting a new expansion. Clearly that's not the case. Anything could happen, though.

I guess my only nitpick is that, if we're going to make it so different from Tokyo DisneySEA... why even call it a DisneySEA park anyway? I mean, really, I agree that there's a lot that can still be done with these sorts of adventure, Wellsian and Vernian things going on, while not even talking about Pirates, Treasure Planet, and Atlantis (not sure how successful those were in Asia, but I'm willing to bet not very)... It's just that I think the overall theme of the park can do better than adopting the name and idea of a park that's already in existence across the sea.
    "And after a long time or a short time, Ivan and the Wolf came at last to the home of the Firebird..."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 0ranos View Post
    I while not even talking about Pirates, Treasure Planet, and Atlantis (not sure how successful those were in Asia, but I'm willing to bet not very)...
    With regard to Atlantis and Treasure Planet...similar themes could be the basis for lands, even without any reference to the movies themselves. But that having been said, a land or attraction based on a movie can be successful even if the movie which inspired it is relatively unknown. Just one example of many - how many Japanese (or Americans for that matter) have actually seen Song of the South?
    Down with the Hat

Quote Originally Posted by HKDLFAN View Post
    Always a pleasure I've thankfully left Canada but am sadly now in the doldrums of Dubai. HSBC had my dad take a post up in the UAE branch. So it doesn't seem like there will be much Disney for me there for sure.
    Dang, you do get around HKDLFAN!

Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 71415161718192027 ... LastLast