Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 132021222324252633 ... LastLast

• Five-Legged Goat

Re: Hong Kong Disneyland Construction

TSL looks quite well done -- colorful, playful, and true to theme. Of course, the theme isn't particularly sophisticated, but if HKDL had to get a Toy Story-themed area, I'm glad that the execution turned out well. It definitely looks like a step up from its counterpart in Paris.

I like the giant Rex at the land's other entrance -- which I'm assuming leads to Mystic Point. I would love to see some sort of themed bookend on the Mystic Point side when that land opens -- like maybe a realistic dinosaur skeleton or carving of a dinosaur-esque dragon, as part of the "Garden of Wonders."

(Speaking of which, I'm very excited to see more details about Mystic Point, and especially about the Adventurers Club there. In fact, these days I find I'm much more excited about what's being built in the non-U.S. parks than what's underway at DL and WDW...)

BTW, the HKDL website has pictures of some of the merchandise. Most of it is pretty run-of-the-mill (Green Army Men, Bucket of Monkeys, etc.), but I really want one of those Slinky Dog neck pillows...

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    The good news is TSPL is now out of the way and only good stuff remains on the immediate horizon for HKDL. And the parachute drop provides a nice wide field of vision to document Mystic Point coming together.

The bad news is that that huge field of vision works in reverse... and the parachute tower is going to be difficult to hide from the walkways in front of the Manor and AC, even when the trees go in. These ill-conceived visual intrusions into neighboring land have always been my biggest problem with the TSPL... we'll see if the concern is warranted.

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I couldn't agree more with you on this, RandySavage, duckling. It makes you wonder what they were thinking at the time they designed what they designed. Surely somebody should have noticed what the rest of us are!

I'm sure they noticed, but let's remember that the main point of this whole expansion is simply to get more rides into the park... right now. It's possible that the need for a ride like the parachute drop was more important than the visual intrusion it would make.

Not that I'm defending it, you understand - but I'm sure they have their reasons.
    "And after a long time or a short time, Ivan and the Wolf came at last to the home of the Firebird..."

Quote Originally Posted by 0ranos View Post
    I'm sure they noticed, but let's remember that the main point of this whole expansion is simply to get more rides into the park... right now. It's possible that the need for a ride like the parachute drop was more important than the visual intrusion it would make.

Not that I'm defending it, you understand - but I'm sure they have their reasons.
    You and I know the reason: $. It was a compromise in the age-old battle between art & commerce. HKDL execs had the option of an inexpensive, proven, already-designed attraction for TSPL. If there is indeed a significant visual intrusion from Mystic Point when all is said & done, those execs deemed it would not be detrimental enough to warrant spending a lot more money to develop an all-new attraction for that plot of land that did not loom over the neighboring land (e.g. Match Box Bumper Cars).

Interestingly, the RC Racer and Parachute Drop switched positions from the original plan:

This is likely because HKDL leadership/designers realized if something was going to loom, it should be the thing in camo.

I still think it was a bad long-term business decision (if it ends up as a major intrusion), because I know that among the most important features of compelling, profitable theme parks are the environments. Mystic Point will be most effective as a draw should it transport guests to the isolated, jungle hideaway it is designed to be and any major intrusions will damage its ability to draw on a conscious or sub-conscious level.

• Five-Legged Goat

On this topic, I remember being impressed when I learned that the color and design of the Tower of Terror had been carefully chosen so that the building would largely blend in with the Morocco pavilion and not spoil the World Showcase skyline.

On the other hand, the example of World Showcase also demonstrates that, sometimes, visual intrusions are allowed to exist when the company's internal cost/benefit analysis comes out the other way (e.g., the Swan and Dolphin).

---------- Post added 11-06-2011 at 07:36 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    You and I know the reason: $. It was a compromise in the age-old battle between art & commerce. HKDL execs had the option of an inexpensive, proven, already-designed attraction for TSPL. If there is indeed a significant visual intrusion from Mystic Point when all is said & done, those execs deemed it would not be detrimental enough to warrant spending a lot more money to develop an all-new attraction for that plot of land that did not loom over the neighboring land (e.g. Match Box Bumper Cars).
    This is pretty much what I meant by "cost-benefit analysis" -- we must have been composing our posts at the same time.

By the way, how high can bamboo grow in two years?

In the Chinese press, Andrew Kam said RC Racer could expand to two tracks/vehicles, if the demand for the ride is high enough.

• Resident of the Caldera

Doesn't it just kill you, seeing that large red circle in the above map, where the Pirate land and ride were supposed to go before the Chinese government killed it!

Perhaps they'll drop 500 million right on that spot for Avatar-land. The pad looks big enough. Or they can clone Carsland. That would save them some bucks. Perhaps they've built two of everything and are ready to get busy.

Mystic Manor looks quite impressive already.

I only hope that the transitions will be up to standards for Mystic Manor and the two adjoining lands.
    "And after a long time or a short time, Ivan and the Wolf came at last to the home of the Firebird..."

• triple seven

Does anyone know the expected date/month that Grizzly Trail will open? I will be visiting the HKDL resort in May of 2012 and it would be more than awesome if this new land is open for my visit.

Thanks for any information!

Supposed to be first quarter 2012, but no formal announcements. May 2012 is Golden Week and there will be loads of mainland tourists.

• Minion

ORDDU: Somehow the videos and photos I've seen of Grizzly Gulch just don't look like it will be ready by May 2012. But, then, a witch could be wrong. We'll just have to wait and see.

news.gov.hk - Categories - Business & Finance - FS promotes HK in Los Angeles

Hong Kong's Financial Secretary John Tsang was in Los Angeles for a series of meetings. One of them was a meeting with Walt Disney Company.

"John Tsang then called on Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, and held a meeting with Walt Disney Company senior executives."

This was the same move as in 2009 when the three new lands were announced. I am sure they had something to discuss about HKDL's future plans. At this point in time I think they are talking about the financial arrangement for the plans. Even if HKDL is financing everything under its own steam, it still needs to notify its biggest shareholder.
    Last edited by Asa; 11-13-2011 at 09:18 PM.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

I still find it odd they are building these lands based upon one ride... This expansion confuses me.. I wish they would just add some class Disney rides to the lands that should exist.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Page 23 of 37 FirstFirst ... 132021222324252633 ... LastLast