Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 62128293031323334 ... LastLast

• Five-Legged Goat

Re: Hong Kong Disneyland Construction

Very nice photos of all the progress at HKDL!

I'm actually very excited for Grizzly Gulch. I don't know how the queue or ride effects will compare, but the track layout and general organization of the coaster there look more interesting to me than Expedition Everest. It really seems like the Imagineers took all the concepts they've used in various coasters before (launch, backward segment, etc.) and synthesized them in a way that builds and improves on past efforts.

Although the Grizzly Gulch work does seem pretty far along, I wonder whether they'll really be done in two months, which that casting call seems to suggest is the planned opening date for the land.

And Mystic Point really looks like it'll be quite expansive. Even though it'll only be one land, I get the feeling that it won't seem too condensed. The Adventurers Club building seems pretty substantial as well and, as people have pointed out, there's room behind both Mystic Point and Grizzly Gulch to further expand these lands with additional attractions in the future.

I can't wait to see the final product! I'll definitely plan to visit HKDL next year if I can.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    Here is another video:

Thanks. What's your in-person take on what you're seeing?

---------- Post added 04-26-2012 at 06:42 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalFan View Post
    It looks great! WDI truly is in it's own league with outdoor coasters and rockwork in general. I believe one of the artist showed in a pic from that link is the same artist that worked on the 6 acres of impressive rockwork in Cars Land at DCA
    Zsolt Hormay has been one of their key rockwork people for many years... he's outdone himself with the Carsland range...

what impresses me about Disney/WDI are the resources they are willing to put into creating terrain (mountains). Universal has done some Tier I rockwork (Potter, Mythos, PoE, etc.), but never a full mountain just to create the illusion that the ride isn't a coaster.

There are couple parks in China and elsewhere where monumental rockwork has been put up, but the opportunity was missed by not making the track level with the terrain (and thus selling the experience as more than a rollercoaster):

I'm not aware of any examples of significant sized coasters (outside Disney) that follow fabricated terrain. Anyone know of any?
    Last edited by RandySavage; 04-26-2012 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    Zsolt Hormay has been one of their key rockwork people for many years... he's outdone himself with the Carsland range...

what impresses me about Disney/WDI are the resources they are willing to put into creating terrain (mountains). Universal has done some Tier I rockwork (Potter, Mythos, PoE, etc.), but never a full mountain just to create the illusion that the ride isn't a coaster.
    True, in fact, it's this aspect that capture my imagination as a kid, and got me to ride coasters in the first place.

For most people the story is secondary to the thrills, but it's the story that drove me to try coasters. Eventually, on my 2nd or 3rd trip to DL, I forced myself to learn how to use contact lenses so that I won't miss the details of the story.

There are couple parks in China and elsewhere where monumental rockwork has been put up, but the opportunity was missed by not making the track level with the terrain (and thus selling the experience as more than a rollercoaster):

I'm not aware of any examples of significant sized coasters (outside Disney) that follow fabricated terrain. Anyone know of any?
    This one is Crystal Wings in Happy Valley, Beijing - same ride as Superman: Ultimate Flight, but obviously different themeing. I happened to find the themeing of that particular land, Atlantis if I'm not mistaken, to be spectacular. However, since it's it's a flying coaster, it kinda makes sense to not have the tracks hidden. It's pretty hard to do so, unless it's indoors, which cancels out the need for a mountain.

However, once you're on the ride, the scenery is negligible, since it's pretty empty. But it's a great ride, very very smooth.

Apart from the rockwork, it's the AAs that make Disney coasters. Which they need since Disney coasters are very tame.

Based on the pics, and the deduced layout, how thrilling do you think BGM will be?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by SirEdge View Post
    Based on the pics, and the deduced layout, how thrilling do you think BGM will be?
    Hey. While it shares some qualities with Everest, it seems to lack Everest's two most thrilling components: the backwards run in darkness and the big forward drop. I think it will probably be on par with Big Thunder. But BGM might have an accelerator (LIM, like Rock n Rollercoaster?) portion (when the dyanamite goes off and the train explodes out of the lower mine)... that could add some interesting thrills. If it is still opening in a couple months (July?), the coaster should be testing soon.

• Not here to help

Thanks. What's your in-person take on what you're seeing?
    I am really sure that Mystic Point will be a nice addition. It looks a bit plastic at the moment but that effect might go away after the building will be completed. I donīt like the tower as it is now. It just looks odd with the windows and choice of style for the paint job.
    The buildings or building in Mystic Point is huge! I really wonder how they could have used all that space for a ride and a restaurant. They should have built a second ride. The whole layout of the park just feels weird. One has to walk down inder a bridge to get to the new lands. Itīs like it all is outside the park.

The good thing is that the visual intrusion is minimal. It was my fear that the manor building and RC Racer would be visible from many different places in Adventureland. But they are really not that visible.

To be honest I think I will prefer the Haunted Mansion after Mystic Manor opens.
    Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 04-29-2012 at 02:12 AM.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Minion

ORDDU: Thank you for your perspective, Timmy, duckling! Even without ever having been to HKDL, the layout seems rather odd to us. Perhaps guests who go there without ever having been to other Disney parks don't notice this. But to those of us who HAVE gone to other Disney parks, it stands out more. It's still a nice park, of course. Hopefully Mystic Manor and the new mine train ride will bring attendance up where it needs to be so that even more attractions can be added soon.

Hey. While it shares some qualities with Everest, it seems to lack Everest's two most thrilling components: the backwards run in darkness and the big forward drop. I think it will probably be on par with Big Thunder. But BGM might have an accelerator (LIM, like Rock n Rollercoaster?) portion (when the dyanamite goes off and the train explodes out of the lower mine)... that could add some interesting thrills. If it is still opening in a couple months (July?), the coaster should be testing soon.
    In contrast I would think a backward run outdoor is more thrilling as we really see the surrounding. I have ridden Expedition Everest both at its prime days and recently without the working yeti so I think BGM is at least on par with the current EE.

Here is the BGM rundown published last year: Hong Kong Main Street Gazette (

The whole layout of the park just feels wierd. One has to walk down inder a bridge to get to the new lands. Itīs like it all is outside the park.
    I still wish that they build a Mystic Point train station. At 0:58 of michael20183's video you see that it's a roofed structure being built just inside the MP entrance. This is different from a deck-like play area in the concept art.

• Minion

ORDDU: I think the park is too small to even need more than two train stations. If they had more than just those two it would become tiresome to stop so much. Now if they had built the tracks to cover a much larger circle--like the American parks have--it would make more sense to have at least 3 train station stops.

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: I think the park is too small to even need more than two train stations. If they had more than just those two it would become tiresome to stop so much. Now if they had built the tracks to cover a much larger circle--like the American parks have--it would make more sense to have at least 3 train station stops.
    ...and I think that there should be more to look at while riding the train. Trees and bushes are interesting a minute or two.

...and I think that there should be more to look at while riding the train. Trees and bushes are interesting a minute or two.
    What's the layout of the HKDL trains? Are the seats facing forward or are they shaped like an "U", like at DLP? DLP's trains allow to see a lot more of the scenery and the park. So if they are facing forward, it distracts from enjoying the landscape.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagobert View Post
    What's the layout of the HKDL trains? Are the seats facing forward or are they shaped like an "U", like at DLP? DLP's trains allow to see a lot more of the scenery and the park. So if they are facing forward, it distracts from enjoying the landscape.
    They face the right hand side of the traveling direction of the train.

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    Witchies, I disagree. A third stop would greatly help HKDL RR, since the having only two stops makes it more boring. Plus I'm under the impression that the first half (Main Street to Fantasyland) feels much longer, maybe even taking up almost 2/3 of the trip. And as Timmy has pointed out trees can only be so interesting for so long. A Mystic Point station would be most welcome. Now if only they'd reconfigure those seats.

Quote Originally Posted by Asa View Post
    They face the right hand side of the traveling direction of the train.
    Like the train at DAK that takes guests to the conservation station?

And although we are still speculating, if there is really a third station outside the track (say in MP) then the train cabins need to be reconfigured so people can board on both sides. With that passengers can also see the view of Grizzly Gulch, MP, TSL, iasw, Storybook Theatre, Autopia, and the lush mountain backdrop.
    Last edited by wali; 05-05-2012 at 09:57 PM.

• Not here to help

Here is a new update:

Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 62128293031323334 ... LastLast