Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 34567891631 ... LastLast

Re: Hong Kong Disneyland Construction

There is the same problem at WDS in Paris. You can see these ugly attractions from nearly everywhere in the park.
    Unfortunately there are so many people who like TSPL. It is such a bad decision to build TSPL in Hong Kong. At least in Paris it got built in WDS and not in the Disneyland Park.

Thanks for all the pictures. Maybe it has already been asked, but does the Grizzly coaster have an identical track layout to Expedition Everest? By the way EE is one of my favorite Disney coasters.

Why is Disney creating so many new lands? I mean Mystic Point could be integrated into Grizzly Gulch to form a Frontierland. In Paris PM is part of Frontierland and aren't these two attractions similar?

I know that the ride system of MP is the same used for Winnie Pooh in Tokyo, but wouldn't an Omnimover system be better, because I think it can handle larger crowds.
    Last edited by Dagobert; 01-31-2011 at 03:03 AM.

• Minion

^ I agree. Unlike WDSP, which is already a pretty hideous park that TSPL could not further damage (it's already at a nadir), HKDL is a well-themed park with plenty of promise. 2/3 of the expansion is improving the place. I wouldn't even have a major problem with TSL if not for the visual intrusions.

Answering your questions: I believe Grizzly Gulch has similarities to Everest (same tubular track/train chassis/backwards mechanism), but the track layout is radically different.

As to why they are creating three new lands, it probably has something to do with the perceived notion that the Chinese prefer quantity over quality. Saying HKDL has 7 lands as opposed to 4 or 5, is a better marketing tool (to HKDL management). This goes hand in hand with counting every photo prop as an "attraction" and marketing the expansion as bringing HKDL to "over 100 attractions."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Dagobert View Post

I know that the ride system of MP is the same used for Winnie Pooh in Tokyo, but wouldn't an Omnimover system be better, because I think it can handle larger crowds.
    So Pooh at TDL is the most popular attraction there. And that means that an Omimover would be a good solution to fixing the ride's capacity, right?

Wrong. The ride would be instantly lame if it was an omnimover. The trackless system is WAY cooler than the OmniMover and adds so much to the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    So Pooh at TDL is the most popular attraction there. And that means that an Omimover would be a good solution to fixing the ride's capacity, right?

Wrong. The ride would be instantly lame if it was an omnimover. The trackless system is WAY cooler than the OmniMover and adds so much to the experience.
    Thanks for your answer. I know that this system is way better and I hope that it will come to Paris with the proposed Ratatouille attraction.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post

I think that experience and story are more important than specific ride system. Is Disneyland's Haunted Mansion "Lame"? Would it be better if we carved out huge empty track areas so that vehicles could roam around? A high capacity, deeply themed omnimover attraction is a beautiful thing. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Honey Hunt ride system, and it is one of my favorite rides at TDL, but that doesn't mean that other ride systems are any less capable.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    They need to start planting bamboo all around the park to hide that terrible orange thing. Its one the most vulgar creations of the last ten years in any place of this planet. Perhaps only the fans of WDS love these kind of things. Who knows...

The new parkmap... uh... I do hope the final version will be changed.

Mystic Point looks strangly small... like a ride and not a land.

Many pros for the smallest Disneyland in the world. But just as many cons.
    Yup, start planting bamboo.... fortunately, it grows fast esp. in the HK climate.

Fortunately, the parachute drop is more camouflaged.

Mystic Point like all the HM's look small on the park maps because they only render the entrance.
    I'm pretty sure they'll change that as things progress.

• "The Musical Quil"

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    ^Thanks for all the photos. Hadn't seen many of them (like the details of the Garden of Wonders or Conservatory/Greenhouse). Hopefully the greenhouse scene with attacking venus flytraps returns to MM in some form (may a future enhancement).

The visual intrusions of Toy Story coaster (and soon the Parachute Drop) are infuriating & frustrating. Frustrating in that TSL was very close to being Glacier Bay, had HK execs not insisted it was too similar to Ocean Park's arctic expansion. It's unfortunate that people who don't "get" theme parks are the ones who had a say in this. There was a time when WDI/TWDC used to float balloons in order to measure and design around visual intrusions from land to land. The operative word in theme park is theme, i.e., theme parks take visitors to another place & time. These kinds of small thematic transgressions (seeing a steel coaster from Fantasyland, having a Parachute drop loom over Mystic Point) add up and work to make the place less compelling for visitors - consciously or subconsciously - and so less worth the premium price.

Allowing those Toy Story carny elements to be visible from all over the park represents both poor design and poor long-term business leadership. Just asinine.
    But think about how easily it will be to bulldoze that section for something later
    DJ JARVICIOUS
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Electro | Hip-Hop | Top 40 | Funky
    www.Facebook.com/DJJarvicious
    www.SoundCloud.com/DJJarvicious
    Instagram / Twitter: @DJJARVICIOUS

• Dreamer

The visual intrusions of Toy Story coaster (and soon the Parachute Drop) are infuriating & frustrating. Frustrating in that TSL was very close to being Glacier Bay, had HK execs not insisted it was too similar to Ocean Park's arctic expansion. It's unfortunate that people who don't "get" theme parks are the ones who had a say in this. There was a time when WDI/TWDC used to float balloons in order to measure and design around visual intrusions from land to land. The operative word in theme park is theme, i.e., theme parks take visitors to another place & time. These kinds of small thematic transgressions (seeing a steel coaster from Fantasyland, having a Parachute drop loom over Mystic Point) add up and work to make the place less compelling for visitors - consciously or subconsciously - and so less worth the premium price.

Allowing those Toy Story carny elements to be visible from all over the park represents both poor design and poor long-term business leadership. Just asinine.
    I couldn't have said it better.

^Thanks for all the photos. Hadn't seen many of them (like the details of the Garden of Wonders or Conservatory/Greenhouse). Hopefully the greenhouse scene with attacking venus flytraps returns to MM in some form (may a future enhancement).

I have to say I agree with you 100% ... but then again, Imagineering no longer does much actual design anymore - it's all farmed out. Just look at the quality of the models and artwork, it's gone down hill as well.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 10/6 View Post
    But think about how easily it will be to bulldoze that section for something later
    Only problem is that, in Disney park terms, "later" is on the order of decades.
    Down with the Hat

Want more updates? Say Hello to Parachute Drop!

You can clearly see the half-pipe in Fantasyland.

looking at the the RC racer looks bigger thant he british!
    Here come's the bride.
    As long as we live.
    Till death do us part.
    You may kiss the bride.

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by bennettshiu View Post
    Want more updates? Say Hello to Parachute Drop!

You can clearly see the half-pipe in Fantasyland.

Yikes! Although the orange isn't too bad in that shot (because of all the reds in Fantasyland), that's still a lot to show. Hopefully, it's blocked in view from other lands.

• Minion

A couple recent photos on this page, including track support structure going vertical for Grizzly Mountain and possible vertical construction for Mystic Manor:

Flickr: Roller Coaster Philosophy's Photostream

It doesn't look that horrendous, since Fantasyland is full of traditional carnival-type rides. It would look terrible if it disrupts the view from Adventureland.

Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 34567891631 ... LastLast