Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Dreamer

Should the OLC take over HKDL?

There's been rumors of the Oriental Land Company taking over management in the Shanghai project, which would clearly see to making a suitable resort for the Chinese people. Whether they'll do it is their choice but what if they took over HKDL and adjusted the management according to the people with the most attendance?

To my knowledge, DLP has always been managed by European members of the Disney company. Now, I can't speak for all Europeans because there's still a small resentment of having built DLP in the first place(?), but Euro Disney S.C.A. makes sure Europeans are the most comfortable when visiting the resort.

Let's face it, HKDL is unfinished and uninspired, but with the (seemingly) unlimited resources of the OLC, they could really complete the Disneyland park and built another unique 2nd Gate by 2020 and have people from all over the world standing in line just to see what it's all about.

• Seasick

Re: Should the OLC take over HKDL?

The OLC should take over ALL of the Disney resorts.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Minion

Yes DLP is well catered for, hence the alternate languages on ToT and the forced French in Phantom Manor (which is fine) aswell as traditional snacks on sale throughout the park, they did a great job.

Since the OLC do such a great job, i'd be fine if they took over HKDL. At the moment I only recognise 4 Disney Parks. However, I do want to visit hong Kong and go there myself someday.

The rumor is not that the OLC will take over Shanghai the Walt Disney company would not allow that. As it is they have regretted the contract that was made between them and the Japanese resort.

If OLC was to join the Shanghai project they would just be part investors and or operators for that resort.

As for the Hong Kong park, the problem is not so much that Disney has not wanted to invest in that park. the problem is that they can not just invest heavily into the resort without government approval and investment. The Chinese government owns majority share of that project and any investment that Disney makes has to be properly balanced between them and the government. It makes no sense for Disney to be the only investor while the Chinese government earns majority shares on the project.

The expansion that is taking place soon in Hong Kong would not have happened if the Chinese government had not given up part of its share ownerships to help balance of the bigger investment that Disney was going to put into the project.

Disney could in fact make a deal with OLC to be the operators for some of the other Disney resorts but that does not mean that the same kin dof investments will be made as the Japanese resort. Remember they own the resort in Japan and basically get all the profit back that is made. They only pay Disney the rights for the brand and also have a contractual obligation to the Walt Disney company to use WDI as well as to follow Disney rules when it coms to additions and changes.

Also the OLC does not have unlimited resources after all they just run and own one resort. They do however have money set aside for what was suppose to be a third stand alone park so they could very well use that funding to be 1/3 of partnership with the Shanghai resort. It would be The Chinese government, Walt Disney and OLC if it was to happen and the majority shareholder owuld most likely still be the Chinese government.

• Not here to help

Disney see the MASSIVE visitor numbers at both gates in Japan, sure they regret not owning a park there. But if Disney owned DisneySEA it would have been a Disney´s Tokyo Adventure park.

Disney is great but they are too cheap. It would be a dream to see OLC run all parks. WDW needs... something!
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BC_DisneyGeek View Post
    The OLC should take over ALL of the Disney resorts.
    Amen.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    Disney is great but they are too cheap. It would be a dream to see OLC run all parks. WDW needs... something!
    at one point during the oil crisis, Disney actually considered (not too seriously) selling WDW is it became unprofitable due to low attendance because high gas prices/ rising airfare.

Who were they planning on selling it to? OLC.

To the question, it would definitely not be a bad thing. I also agree with Ice.

• Minion

ORWEN: Actually, I think the Oriental Land Company should take over the whole WORLD!!! That way there would be high quality standards in place for absolutely everything--from mass transportation to good quality food. (Not to mention a Disney theme park in every country!)

• Bangarang!

While you can say that OLC does have the where with all to get attendance at HKDL increased given its track record, you do have to wonder if they would fair any better than TWDC at getting money and/or approval for projects from the Legislature.

That's partly whats holding HKDL back IMO (along with the Mouse's understandable cautionary approach).

Sure, if they (OLC) took over the reigns and were able to give Hong Kong the kick in the shorts it needs, and at the same time boost the investment for both the S.A.R. and Disney, then I say go for it!

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORWEN: Actually, I think the Oriental Land Company should take over the whole WORLD!!! That way there would be high quality standards in place for absolutely everything--from mass transportation to good quality food. (Not to mention a Disney theme park in every country!)
    Here Here!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

I think Disney shouldnt be blamed for HKDLs misfortune given that they really put a lot of effort into the expansion with Glacier Bay and the Pirate land. If it wasnt for the HK Government wanting the majority stake in HKDL, we would have gotten those things instead of TSL. The HK Gov was even screwing around with the opening date of HKDL since they wanted to open the resort ASAP (the newspapers here always use that fact when they want to say how crap HKDL is). I dont think the OLC would have done much anyways if they were partnered to such a uncooperative and greedy government.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Its come to my knowledge that the Oriential Land Company needs to sort its own house in order before even attempting to take over another themepark.

I have yet to see any evidence that Tokyo DisneySea is the huge financial suscess people have claimed. Before Tokyo DisneySea came along Tokyo Disneyland was attracting between 16-17 million Guests per year. Since TDS has opened that figure has grown by around 25-26 million Guests. Thats about a 8-9 million increase. Now Keep in mind TDS was the most expensive themepark likely to have ever been built. Is this a good return on your investment. Anyone who visits the Resort will tell you that TDL is by far the more attended park.

Now I do feel after almost 10 years. OLC are finally starting to get this park in order. After many night time flops like DisneySea Symphony and BraviSEAmo. The park is finally bringing in Fantasmic which will be re invented for the Med Harbour. Tower of Terror, Legend of Mythica and the introduction of last years Halloween Event have all also been steps in the right direction. Duffy has helped to bring people who wouldn't usually visit into the park to spend money on merchandise and food. And 2012 will see the debut of the new Toy Story Mania attraction. Shame the park has to add cheap quick additions like Turtle Talk, Raging Spirits and Carpets. But these simple rides do appeal to the large audience that usually visit TDL. And anything that is going to ease the presure of TDL and its 2-3 hour wait times is needed.

Now just because OLC has had some suscess in running a Disney Resort does not mean all there outside projects have enjoyed the same suscess. Camp Nepos springs to mind as does the recent poor turn out for cirque du soleil's Zed. Planet Hollywood recently had to be evicted from Ikspari because it was unable to pay the rent, as a result of poor takings. So OLC has had its fair share of failings and only seem to come out on top when it has the Disney name on it. And could some of this suscess not be credited to the WDC who advise the OLC on the best way to operate the parks.

Also lets take into account that OLC employ there Cast Members on part time contracts. This means the company does not have to pay out on any holiday pay. It also offers zero other benefits. So no discounts. If these Cast Members want to visit either park than they have to pay full admission price. Do you want this sort of ruthless Management running our parks. This act works in Japan but would fail in most other destinations.

I think the Disney Management team that are running this small park are doing a fantastic job. The standard of Cast Member and upkeep is just as high as that found in Tokyo. The thought of OLC taking over is quite scary when you see some of the stupid Characters shows that are put on as part of the entertainment in Tokyo. I also dread to think what would happen to the park's Halloween event. Which is more adult focused.
    Last edited by Malin; 07-12-2010 at 10:55 AM.

• HKDL fan

Originally Posted by HKDLFAN
    I think Disney shouldnt be blamed for HKDLs misfortune given that they really put a lot of effort into the expansion with Glacier Bay and the Pirate land. If it wasnt for the HK Government wanting the majority stake in HKDL, we would have gotten those things instead of TSL. The HK Gov was even screwing around with the opening date of HKDL since they wanted to open the resort ASAP (the newspapers here always use that fact when they want to say how crap HKDL is). I dont think the OLC would have done much anyways if they were partnered to such a uncooperative and greedy government.

I totally agree with HKDLFAN.
    What needed to be changed is the HK Government's stand on this project.
    My Web Site - RedBubble Site

~ Going to HKDL in 2015 [10th Anniversary] ~

Looking Forward To HKDL's Expansion

akaytrinity.com

• Banned User

The thing is, the OLC has dignity in their work, unlike the stateside parks (or atleast in the early 00's.

Here's a clip from one of Al Lutz's DIG updates:

Seems that a year or two ago, Disneyland hosted a group of employees from Tokyo Disneyland - these maintenance types were excited they would get to visit "the park Walt walked in" and were literally treating their visit as a trip to Mecca. The excitement was palpable - they discussed how hard they worked at Tokyo Disneyland to keep the attractions sparkling fresh - and how the Oriental Land Company (who runs the show there) was ever so strict as to their quality standards. Long talks were held before they set foot in Disneyland - they had discussed how they diligently worked on maintaining the Pirates boats for example - and their rehab schedule which would keep everything in tip top shape. They were very excited about finally coming to the original Disneyland, and seeing how the mother park did things - they were sure Disneyland was maintained at levels even higher than theirs.
    You probably already know where this is going, right?
    Well, let's just avoid repeating the obvious here - the group from Japan was DEEPLY disappointed at what they found here. In particular they were distressed about Pirates and the Haunted Mansion. As they took rides through the attractions, then got backstage visits, they would audibly gasp and animatedly express to each other how badly things were being let go. In short they were shocked, and one wrote me later using words such as "deeply disturbed" about what they saw here.* They wondered how the company felt "no shame" in how the quality had so obviously slipped. The writer also said they had read many of the updates here before their visit, and thought we were trying to hold Disneyland to much higher standards than was humanly possible - but that their own visit convinced them our reporting here was accurate as to the many problems Paul Pressler has introduced to the parks.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

The excitement was palpable - they discussed how hard they worked at Tokyo Disneyland to keep the attractions sparkling fresh - and how the Oriental Land Company (who runs the show there) was ever so strict as to their quality standards.
    I'm not sure how long a go this Al Lutz article was writen but I assume it was during the Paul Pressler days. I can tell you after recently visiting both Resorts that rides at Disneyland are maintened to the same standard as found at Tokyo Disneyland in my experience. For anyone who is under the false impression TDR attractions are at a standard set above anything else I request you look up details about a Space Mountain vehicle derailing back in 2004. Where many people involved in the maintenance operation of the attraction were publicly reprimanded and forced into taking paycuts including its President Toshio Kagami who missed out on 3 months pay.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast