Red Face Trip to HK Disney in August

Hey! I am a brand new member to the forum. Ex-castmember from DLR in CA.

I am going with some friends to Hong Kong Disneyland in mid August. Can the whole park be accomplished in a day? What are the best attractions, restaurants and experiences? I really want to experience the best out of this resort as we will only be there for one day and we are staying off property at the JW Marriott.

Thanks

Re: Trip to HK Disney in August

Guess I can update this myself. After doing some research, It seems that I can't miss the food at the Plaza Inn and in one day will have more then enough time to experience every single attraction at the park.

I'll have to take a big photo update...!

• Minion

^^ I haven't been there, but I would say that you are right.

Be sure to catch any theatrical shows and seasonal offerings. The rides are pretty much what you will find stateside. If haven't been to WDW in the last seven or eight years, don't miss Philharmagic.

Even if you do absolutely everything, you can probably easily finish in a day.
    Down with the Hat

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Hey there!

Quote Originally Posted by maxfieldblue View Post
    Can the whole park be accomplished in a day?
    If you want to experience EVERY attraction and shows the park has to offer then you might have to take 1.5 days so that you don't rush your day. The summer shows/parades are certainly worth watching since they are unique to HKDL and must-sees in my opinion. And not to forget the two main shows of HKDL (The Golden Mickeys and The Festival of The Lion King). I suggest you to give some attractions the boot and only focus on the ones that are both unique to HKDL and exceptional so that you can enjoy the summer shows/parades and the two main shows.

What are the best attractions, restaurants and experiences?
    Given that you're an ex cast member from DLR, there are some attractions not at DL (e.gMickeys Phillharmagic, Stitch Encounter) and some classics that have been changed in a fun way (e.gJungle River Cruise, Tarzan Treehouse, Autopia, Its a Small World). The attractions that are the best in my opinion are: Space Mountain, Jungle River Cruise, Mickeys Phillharmagic, Autopia and Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters. These are the attractions that usually gather the most crowds especially on weekends so you should prioritize them.

The two main shows are also worthwhile. The Golden Mickeys is a lighthearted montage of some of characters of Disney as well as popular songs (Tarzan, Mulan, Toy Story, The Little Mermaid, Hunchback of NotreDame, Lilo and Stitch and finally Beauty and the Beast). My favorite is the Lion King one, it features the same music from the film and audio animatronics as well as fire knife people (or whatever they're called).

For the summer, as i said before, all the shows are very entertaining and fun especially Mickeys Waterworks parade which is unique to HKDL. There is a fantastic fire knife performer in Adventureland at night who performs for around 15 mins so don't miss that if you have spare time, and a mini parade on main street with the Genie, Mr Incredible, Stitch, Ariel and Goofy which is also fun.

Finally for the restaurants, there is a variety of foods available at the park. There is Indian and Indonesian food at the Tahitian Terrace in Adventureland, combination of western, japanese and chinese food at the Royal Banquet Hall in Fantasyland, proper western set meals at Main Street Corner Cafe, Westernized Chinese food at the Plaza Inn, and a fast food at Starliner Diner at Tomorrowland. The restaurants in bold are the best ones per land but my personal favorite is the Main Street Corner Cafe because it is reasonably affordable as it comes with 3 course sets and a la carte dishes can be ordered as well along with the delicious Mickey Mouse Waffles. Im sorry i cant comment on the Plaza Inn restaurant because i havent had the chance to eat there but my friends say its a very good restaurant but is also expensive.

I hope this helps. Good Luck with your trip

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    Even if you do absolutely everything, you can probably easily finish in a day.
    Depends on how you define "everything". There is no way you can see every attraction, every show and every summertime offering. It would be possible if you went during the time when there are no seasonal offerings to see EVERY thing in a day.
    Last edited by HKDLFAN; 07-14-2010 at 09:25 PM.

• Cars Land Rocks!

When we went we planned two days, just so we didn't have to rush. It made it very enjoyable and we took out time. I don't get to Hong Kong so often, so I made the most of it.

• Not here to help

It all depends on how long you will stay in Hong Kong really. The best things in HKDL are: Space Mountain and Lion King. Also worth a look Golden Mickeys, Jungle Cruise and Autopia. The rest... well... they have some parades and fireworks. If it is during special events Id give it 1.5 days. Otherwise Id spend one planned day there. The park is very small and dont have much to offer when compared to all other parks. Its like a mini Disneyland... but it cant be missed. It is a really nice place anyway. Dont go there on a weekend.

If you have a day or 4 over to spend... the best themepark in the world is not far from Hong Kong, DisneySEA.

It would be fun to hear what you think of it when you get back.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

Cool Re: Trip to HK Disney in August

I will be sure to take some pictures! I am bringing an extra suitcase just to fill up with park merch!

My boyfriend works for Delta and my Dad works for Marriott So we get to stay 20 minutes from the property for a huge discount and fly for close to free! Hooray!

We are planning on visiting all the international parks! I hear DisneySEA is amazing. When I worked at Disneyland Ed Grier was the president of our resort and he had previously been a creative mind at DisneySEA.

August 14th cant come any faster.

Does anyone know what this haunted hotel thing is? Is that a halloween type of deal?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Does anyone know what this haunted hotel thing is? Is that a halloween type of deal?
    The Haunted Hotel is a Halloween attraction only along with Demon Jungle, and Alien Invasion. Its basically a walk-through in a "haunted hotel" that is very scary, think a typical haunted house in a carnival but plussed in every way due to budget and creativity.