My Conceptual Site Plan of Discarded HKDL

On page 130 of the new WDI book there is a very nice overview of an early version of HKDL:

This painting coincides exactly with the widely-released overview painting that gave the rear bird's-eye view of the park (a large version of which can be found in an old Disney Magazine) and both coincide very closely with the original press release (Phantom Manor, Toontown, etc.).

Using these three pieces of information, a magnifying glass, and some artistic license, I created a conceptual site plan of that first version of the park:

Here is a size comparison with the actual HKDL:

Anyone with eagle-eyes and the imagineering book, maybe you can you make out some things that I could not - there is something on Adventure Isle that looks like a spinning swing (like the silly symphony one), but that obviously wouldn't make sense.

Re: My Conceptual Site Plan of Discarded HKDL

If they were planing to build the park like the frist concept art, why didnt they build the current park in a spot where they could accomplish their plan?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Very nice! That is one pic (along with the TDS concept art) i wanted ENLARGED in this book but no.....

Looks like parts of this Concept Art is being reused to imagineer Shanghai Disneyland. Anyways, how easy must it be to imagineer Disneylands nowadays with the layout being very similar? Shanghai Disneyland sounded like an exception but the new concept art doesnt impress me one bit. DisneySEA really is the crown jewel of Disney imagineering (it was just all over the new imagineering book).

• Minion

Terrific work as usual, Randy. With regard to HKDL as built...it's good that large expansion pads were left adjacent to Adventureland and Fantasyland...but it's unfortunate that Tomorrowland was left so cramped and without much expansion space (just compare to the one in the concept, for example).

All that being said, I'm glad that HKDL overall is on the right track. It should be quite a fine park by the time I get round to visiting.

Quote Originally Posted by HKDLFAN View Post
    Very nice! That is one pic (along with the TDS concept art) i wanted ENLARGED in this book but no.....
    That's my main complaint with this book. It is very beautiful...but why leave the most desirable concept artworks so small? Whatever the rationale, it is a disservice to the imagineering fans who Disney knows are the audience for this text.
    Down with the Hat

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    but it's unfortunate that Tomorrowland was left so cramped and without much expansion space (just compare to the one in the concept, for example).
    Tomorrowland could easily have 3-4 more E-Tickets if Autopia was removed. I just dont think Autopia doesnt deserve that much space at HKDL given that there isnt enough space left after HKDL is expanded with the 3 new lands. Heck, a whole new land could fit into that space!

Quote Originally Posted by HKDLFAN View Post
    Tomorrowland could easily have 3-4 more E-Tickets if Autopia was removed. I just dont think Autopia doesnt deserve that much space at HKDL given that there isnt enough space left after HKDL is expanded with the 3 new lands. Heck, a whole new land could fit into that space!
    something in my mind abt Autopia in HKDL.

What if:
    Autopia upgrade to become a indoor/semi covered ride?! With LED, laser, illuminating features?
    People will be driving in the dark, more "Space" liked.
    Then we can get some E-Tickets on top of the upgraded autopia?

That's my main complaint with this book. It is very beautiful...but why leave the most desirable concept artworks so small? Whatever the rationale, it is a disservice to the imagineering fans who Disney knows are the audience for this text.
    I agree. The book is very good, but there are a few questionable editorial choices, ie, the terrific, juicy Maureen Johnston DisneySea painting is the size of the a postage stamp, at the same time a two page spread is given to an amateurish painting of Fantasyland by Andy SKLAR... I wonder why that happened...

• Sorcerer in Training

A fun little project. I do believe that GRR should be an attraction unique to Disneyland. It is however, sadening to see that this never came true to HKDL
    YouTube page: The Sorcerer's Lair

"And so you see the magic isn't just in the animated characters, it's also in all of us"
    -Drawn to the Magic

"Remember...dreams come true"
    -Julie Andrews

"Some imagination, huh?"
    -Mickey Mouse

"Dreams are make believe, till they all come true"
    -Fantasmic!

"Believe me: this is one of the most exciting and challenging things that we've ever tackled at Walt Disney Enterprises"
    -Walt Disney.

"Disney has helped bring out the magic in us. Now let's work together and help bring out the magic in others."
    -SorcererHero5571

If you have the making-of HKDL book you can see the site plan for an early, boutique-version of the park. If you don't have the book, I've transcribed the site plan - it could have been an even tinier, odd little park:

Learn more about it on my website (link in signature).

• Minion

^^ Could you provide the title of the book Randy? Does it have any interesting concept art not available on the net?

I must say I am glad this boutique park didn't get built! It would have been the "McDonald's" version of a Magic Kingdom.

Though I must say, I have long thought that Pooh would be an easy theme for a variation on the Tea Cups. Looks like the thought hasn't escaped the imagineers either...

Also interesting that Small World is the main weenie of the park. What are the buildings around Small World? A mini Fantasyland village?
    Down with the Hat

^^ Could you provide the title of the book Randy?
    There are two making of HKDL books, confusingly with almost identical titles. The thin softcover book is called "The Making of HKDL: Magicians at Work" and covers the construction process and the thicker, hardcover version is a broader history called "The Making of HKDL: Magic at Work." Both, by Melody Malmberg, were never released to the public - although you can occasionally find them at the Imagineering store in Glendale or on ebay.

Does it have any interesting concept art not available on the net?
    Sadly, not really. I went to great lengths to obtain these books, hoping for a trove of canceled attractions and concept art, but almost all (90%) of the art has been out on the web at one time or another. The best HKDL art I have seen is in the new Imagineering book. There are are a couple of nuggets in these books, such as a photo of an imagineer working on part of the model for the canceled PotC ride (the Mayor in the Well scene) and the above rendered early site plan (of a mini park), but for the most part it is photographs of the construction and the finished park.

Though I must say, I have long thought that Pooh would be an easy theme for a variation on the Tea Cups.
    That and the Teapot Lady from Beauty & the Beast.

Also interesting that Small World is the main weenie of the park. What are the buildings around Small World? A mini Fantasyland village?
    The curved areas abutting the water in front of IASW are just a sheltered queue area. The bigger section west of IASW (northeast of the teacups) is labeled as Fast Food and Merchandise - I imagine the exterior would be themed in the fantasy-village style or as toontown - but it is a small area.