• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

HKDL 5th Anniversary, Expansion and food hints!

Source: Hong Kong News Headlines | Hong Kong's premier newspaper online | SCMP.com

Visitors to Hong Kong Disneyland will soon be able to munch on egg puffs, cheesecake on a stick and other new treats as the theme park's dining options expand to meet the increasingly diverse tastes of its guests.
    "We're trying to do egg puffs, but we need to change some of the kitchen equipment. If it's successful, we'll look at doing egg puffs in a Mickey Mouse shape," Paul Chandler, who oversees Hong Kong Disneyland's food and beverage operations, said.

At the Main Street coffee cart, we're working on cheesecake on a stick."

The additional food offerings are expected to help boost the park's food and beverage income, which has grown 12 per cent in the five years since it opened. There are between 250 and 300 different food products on offer, from Cantonese cuisine and cotton candy to hot dogs and pizza.

The park has hired three or four Indian chefs and is looking to recruit some Thai chefs, Chandler said.

Food will be an integral part of the park's fifth anniversary celebrations. Visitors may be allowed to buy some of the dinnerware they have their meals on, Chandler said, and dining promotions aimed at children aged five and local visitors with the number five on their identity cards are among options being considered.

Although there will be events to mark the fifth anniversary on September 12, year-long celebrations will be held from January 1 to December 31 next year.

More and different dining venues will also be added as the park expands, beginning with a food kiosk in Toy Story Land, which is due to open next year. Chandler said the standing-room-only kiosk would mainly offer health food options, as the attraction was expected to draw many families. Grizzly Gulch will open next, with a food kiosk and seating available, while a 400-seat restaurant, similar to the Royal Banquet Hall in Fantasyland, will be included in Mystic Manor.

About 85 per cent of the park's visitors eat at its restaurants, while between 40 per cent and 50 per cent buy food at various outdoor vending carts, far more than the 12 per cent to 15 per cent estimated when the park opened in 2005.
    Its a future I look forward to at HKDL...

• Banned User

Re: HKDL 5th Anniversary, Expansion and food hints!

I just wish that future did not include Toy Story Playland.

I've just read some news in Chinese that talked about the 5th anniversary of HKDL.
    Let me have some conclusions:
    -the celebration event delay to 2011 due to the Halloween and Christmas event in late 2010
    -buttons will be given if you go to HKDL at 12/9(I will go that day~) Also, limited pins will on sale that day too

-Andrew Kam, the Managing Director of HKDL, just replied the rumor of budget cut of Mystic Manor, there will still have the trackless system inside the ride
    -the Art of Pixar Animation Studios show may come to Hong Kong next year for the celebration, we may have a chance to see the concept arts of Cars 2!

Anyway, I can't wait to the celebration! Although TSL may not be so attractive for you guys, my friend and I are still looking forward to the opening of TSL(since we may have no chance to go to Paris)~

Red Face Re: HKDL 5th Anniversary, Expansion and food hints!

Crumbs!

I'm coming over later December, and it's a shame if there's nothing for the 5th anniversary then.

I mean, I enjoyed the Christmas trimmings in Disney, but I feel the Christmas Let It Snow, or whatever it's called, is a poor Christmas dressing, especially when compared with the other Disney parks, or even HKDL's Halloween parade.

All those haunted attractions this year may be overkill, but at least there's something to see apart from the stuff that's already there the entire year.

Give us something new this 5th year, apart from It's a Small World Christmas, which is indeed beautiful.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Yay the trackless system survives! but at what cost......

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Quote Originally Posted by HKDLFAN View Post
    Yay the trackless system survives! but at what cost......
    I have my guesses. I am going to take a stab at the 3 rooms when the 3 ride vehicles split up. When I saw that concept art I said to myself "wow, that is epic, and I bet that gets cut"

• Banned User

Nothing new Eric.. this is Tokyo's track system for Pooh and Aquatopia and has been un use for 10 years at least.

Of course, I am bummed I am missing HKDL's anniversary by ONE DAY!! I leave HK on that day and can't visit. Bummer. But will be at the park today to see what's going on.. I am wondering if they have any 5th anniversary related stuff on sale but not holding my breath. Will report on my visit later tonight.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Although there will be events to mark the fifth anniversary on September 12, year-long celebrations will be held from January 1 to December 31 next year.
    That makes perfect sense. Starting the Anniversary celebrations in September will clash with both Halloween and Christmas events. I wonder if the park will do the Anniversary in phases like Tokyo Disney does for its Anniversary events. Giving locals more reasons to visit though out the year. Good to see we finally know the reason why the park has kept quiet about its upcoming Anniversary. Hope more details will be annouced soon.

Visitors to Hong Kong Disneyland will soon be able to munch on egg puffs, cheesecake on a stick and other new treats as the theme park's dining options expand to meet the increasingly diverse tastes of its guests.
    "We're trying to do egg puffs, but we need to change some of the kitchen equipment. If it's successful, we'll look at doing egg puffs in a Mickey Mouse shape," Paul Chandler, who oversees Hong Kong Disneyland's food and beverage operations, said.
    You have to admire that the park is working on new and creative ways to make more revenue out of its food offerings. This is why Disneyland Paris is in such a poor state. Management just do not understand or get that we don't want to buy branded products in the parks. And that we looking for something unique. Paul Chandler could certainly teach his Paris counterpart Christophe Coutanson a few ideas.