Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ideas for second gate

I was just curious to see what ideas were out there for when (or if) Disney opens a second gate in Hong Kong.

Personally I would love to see a park dedicated to Pixar movies
    Pros: Modern and more relevant to the local people + new movies regularly
    Cons: with toy story playland and astro blasters in Disneyland less material for attractions + unknown if Pixar will still be big in 20 years.

The other idea I like is a chinese themed park (Kind of like DCA is to DLR, but not crap)
    Pros: Locals would love it (possibly attract Chinese visitors to there instead of Shanghai) - and its original which the resort is lacking
    Cons: Very few Disney films to incorporate + probably better themed to be in Shanghai

Post what you think is a good park idea and why it would be good in HKDLR

Re: Ideas for second gate

I disagree.

I really love Pixar movies, but I'm extremely skeptical about too many theme park attractions based on them.

However, I see your point. They're far richer material than most of what Disney has produced. And extremely well-loved.

As long as it's poorly dressed carnival rides, ala Toy Storyland (which I'm not against per se), it should be fine. Immersive E-ticket rides, not just a reskinned Fantasyland.

I would like to see Animal Kingdom as second gate, now THAT would be unusual!

I would want a totally original theme, but the rides may incorporate some of the existing rides.

I can imagine a DisneySky theme park, with rides such as Soarin' over China, something based on "Up" (hot air balloon rides?), something based on "Wall-E" (simulator ride?), Aladdin's magic carpet, Dumbo, Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Mission: Space, Mount Everest and so on. Anything that has an element of flying or being in sky or space.

Quote Originally Posted by Asa View Post
    I would want a totally original theme, but the rides may incorporate some of the existing rides.

I can imagine a DisneySky theme park, with rides such as Soarin' over China, something based on "Up" (hot air balloon rides?), something based on "Wall-E" (simulator ride?), Aladdin's magic carpet, Dumbo, Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Mission: Space, Mount Everest and so on. Anything that has an element of flying or being in sky or space.
    Yeah i agree that they need an original park to draw guests there instead of other parks. However I don't think that sky is the right style as it would be seen as like a cheap rip off of disney sea.

Some attractions i think they definatly need to include is some Everest/ matterhorn style coaser with an original them of course. And a tower of terror maybe if it can tie in. I was thinking how cool would it be if they built into the sea an made a Killamanjaro Safari style attraction in the ocean with sharks and dolphins ect, however i think the HK water would need alot of work.

I also think it would be cool if they build up and into the mountain as that would be a very original and iconic image for the park.

• Banned User

What they need in HK is a very well themed water park. It's so hot and humid for most of the year... and a killer water park would be a hit me thinks.

With Buzz in TL and the new TSPL coming in a couple of years, they really do not need a Pixar park. Plus, the idea of a DAK is not unusual because Ocean Park already has land and sea animals on display in that park. Disney does not need to copy the competition.. Its bad enough their scary halloween is a cue taken from Ocean Park in order to compete. But they need to start being trend setters, not followers.

Quote Originally Posted by AlastairW View Post
    I also think it would be cool if they build up and into the mountain as that would be a very original and iconic image for the park.
    I think that would be fantastic if they could build a park onto the nearby mountain. Disney have always built their parks on flat land, but in truth I think they missed a great opportunity to build Sleeping Beauty's castle on top of a small mountain in HK.

Ocean Park is built on a mountain and it enjoys some of the best views in all of HK. Allan Zeman was flabbergasted when he saw the views and heard that HK govt wanted to demolish it.

My idea was Disney North American Adventure.
    It had six lands - New England Harbour, Aztec Ruins, Hollywoodland, Caribbean Cove and Maple Province.

Quote Originally Posted by Asa View Post
    I think that would be fantastic if they could build a park onto the nearby mountain. Disney have always built their parks on flat land, but in truth I think they missed a great opportunity to build Sleeping Beauty's castle on top of a small mountain in HK.

Ocean Park is built on a mountain and it enjoys some of the best views in all of HK. Allan Zeman was flabbergasted when he saw the views and heard that HK govt wanted to demolish it.
    I think HKDL builds on a flat land by the mountain is much better than build the castle on the mountain. If it builds on the mountain, it is very tough to go up and down in the park(especially people using wheel chair...), it will also destroy the view of each land, we may see nearly the whole Space Mountain when we ride on the Jungle River Cruise...

And I hope there will be a Tower of Terror at the second gate.

I agree with what has been said about the mountain idea, as interesting as it is, it'll ruin a lot of the illusion that each land is supposed to establish. Of course, that won't be a big deal for a lot of people.

I'll give Ocean park that it has some beautiful views, but half a day there always tires me out like crazy. And don't get me started about the confusing map.

Disney parks, as many know, are built around a hub system, and there is always a need for a visual magnet, be it the castle or a giant tree.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Please don't try to serve Chinese food to the Chinese.

DCA would have been a good theme in Tokyo, it was lost on locals in California.

Likewise a fake version of China presented by the United States is an inherently slippery slope.

I thought the whole idea of building a Disneyland and especially about a 2nd gate was about being creative. What are the Disney engineers called again?

Just because the castle is on the mountain, the whole park is ruined? If you build the castle on the mountain, then logically, obviously the whole park will be designed completely differently from anything we have ever seen. I thought that was implied in my last post but I guess everyone here is so stuck with the Magic Kingdom format theme park there is no room to move.

With that in mind, I think we will not see anything too different from what already exists in the HKDR second gate. Disney knows that we are not ready for big surprises.

Therefore, we can expect another run of the mill second gate, with some luck we will have Tower of Terror, Soarin', etc.

The food in the park is not good enough, the machine-made sushi rice is so horrible!
    Or maybe every Disney parks are the same? I remembered few years ago I've been to Tokyo Disney Sea, the Mapo tofu rice was just like some slime.... The original Mapo tofu should not be like that.

^ The "food" here does not really mean the thing we eat.
    Last edited by iluvHKDL; 09-22-2010 at 06:32 PM.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Disagree with you Wheatlecoast ENTIRELY. The food is one of the reasons I LOVE HKDL. I used to go to HKDL after school almost thrice a week to get their smoothies at their bakery. They are the best smoothies in HK.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast