Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1

    • Forgotten Spirit
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cypress, CA
    Posts
    1,066

    Should Cinderella Castle have been HKDL's castle?

    Am I the only to think that Cinderella Castle or something the size of Cinderella Castle should have been the castle of the park rather than Sleeping Beauty Castle? I feel like SBC is way to small and dwarfed by the mountains...where if something on a larger scale would have not been nearly as dwarfed and small looking at the end of main street.
    HKDL:


    DL:


    Cinderella:

  2. #2

    • Disney Fan & Musician
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,764

    Re: Should Cinderella Castle have been HKDL's castle?

    If they did, I would hope it had the TDL paint scheme. The WDW paint scheme looks horrible!
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

  3. #3

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: Should Cinderella Castle have been HKDL's castle?

    I would have prefered if HKDL had gotten their own original castle design (like DLP's has become) and it should have been called Snow White's Castle.
    Now, I am not bothered by HKDL having the same DL castle.. but on a less ornated fashion. I think a bigger castle would have taken away from the unique vista of the mountain in the background.. but that's only me.

    And yes, I agree with Matterhorn above.. the WDW castle paint scheme is bland bland bland as can be.

  4. #4

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Manila, Philippines
    Posts
    394

    Re: Should Cinderella Castle have been HKDL's castle?

    I agree about the mountains. The mountains being there as a double-edged sword. They're intrusions of the outside world, but they add some charm to the park. However, they do dwarf the already small castle.

    As for Cinderella's castle, I think putting it there would only magnify my disappointment that it's not as big as WDW.

    I do understand why the chose Sleeping Beauty. I assume the smaller size makes it cheaper (any experts can verify this?). At that point, only the original castle hasn't been cloned before, so why not this one? And it's a copy of the original, which on its own has its charm and merits.

    A new one would have been great for us fans, but not necessarily for the public. It had to be recognizable for Asians as the same park as the US versions, which adds to its appeal (just like the "originlin America).

  5. #5

    • Nutty about Disney parks
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    2,596

    Re: Should Cinderella Castle have been HKDL's castle?

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I would have prefered if HKDL had gotten their own original castle design (like DLP's has become) and it should have been called Snow White's Castle.
    Now, I am not bothered by HKDL having the same DL castle.. but on a less ornated fashion. I think a bigger castle would have taken away from the unique vista of the mountain in the background.. but that's only me.

    And yes, I agree with Matterhorn above.. the WDW castle paint scheme is bland bland bland as can be.
    I think every Magic Kingdom should've gotten a different castle from different fairytales (and this includes Tokyo DL no matter how nice their castle looks).

    Anyway I believe the SB castle was intended for Hong Kong because they wanted the mountains to show in the background. I'm not bothered by it. At least the mountains dont have any cities that show up at night. The look in unique to Hong Kong (like a tropical Disneyland) so I like it.

  6. #6

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Phantom Manor
    Posts
    1,531

    Re: Should Cinderella Castle have been HKDL's castle?

    Yeah, a unique castle would be preffered.

  7. #7

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    360

    Wink Re: Should Cinderella Castle have been HKDL's castle?

    Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    Anyway I believe the SB castle was intended for Hong Kong because they wanted the mountains to show in the background.

    I think it was chosen because it was the cheapest option.

  8. #8

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Morva in the Land of Prydain
    Posts
    4,354

    Re: Should Cinderella Castle have been HKDL's castle?

    ORDDU: I don't think the mountains dwarf the castle as some have said. The mountains aren't as tall, themselves, as so many other mountains around the world are. In the same way that the mountains in Germany compliment Neuschwanstien Castle, so do Hong Kong's mountains serve as a nice back drop to compliment Sleeping Beauty's castle.

    ORWEN: But we also believe an original castle should have been placed there--like Beauty & the Beast Castle, for instance.

  9. #9

    • Forgotten Spirit
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cypress, CA
    Posts
    1,066

    Re: Should Cinderella Castle have been HKDL's castle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: I don't think the mountains dwarf the castle as some have said. The mountains aren't as tall, themselves, as so many other mountains around the world are. In the same way that the mountains in Germany compliment Neuschwanstien Castle, so do Hong Kong's mountains serve as a nice back drop to compliment Sleeping Beauty's castle.

    ORWEN: But we also believe an original castle should have been placed there--like Beauty & the Beast Castle, for instance.
    I am officially honored to be on MiceChat...for you have finally posted in my thread

  10. #10

    • Not here to help
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,097

    Re: Should Cinderella Castle have been HKDL's castle?

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I would have prefered if HKDL had gotten their own original castle design (like DLP's has become) and it should have been called Snow White's Castle.
    I have never agreed more. A snow white castle would be a much better tribute to anything Disney than making the same castle once again.

    If they would make a castle like the gorgeous one in Paris it would have been awesome. It doesn´t have to be huge. A bit bigger and alot more unique.

    As a matter of fact... If I could change one single thing about HKDL... it would have been the castle.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

  11. #11

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland, Baltimore to be exact
    Posts
    171

    Re: Should Cinderella Castle have been HKDL's castle?

    I definately agree that the castle should have been original and Snow White has been waiting patiently for her chance at a landmark castle, after all, she is the original Disney Princess.

    Cinderella has 2 castles (and was almost going to get a house too) AKA prince charming's
    Aurora has 3 (paris' is the best) AKA King Stephan's
    Ariel technically has a castle at TDS
    Beast Castle is being built at WDW


    anyway, not only do the mountains dwarf the castle but main street does as well. The forced perspective was just a little to much. I think the castle should be bigger, It could use 20- 30 more feet that way the mountains still look great and the castle isnt puny. I believe that a few adjustions here and there on the castle will give in just enough difference between in a DL. Considering how young the castle is, the sooner the better befor nostalgia kicks in.

  12. #12

    • Koubu Pilot
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mesa, Az
    Posts
    1,498

    Re: Should Cinderella Castle have been HKDL's castle?

    While I only go to Anaheim, I do think Sleeping Beauty Castle in Hong Kong combined with the mountains behind it is just beautiful. The mountain backdrop is what gives Hong Kong's version of Sleeping Beauty Castle its uniqueness.

    The Hong Kong Disneyland that was never built would have had the castle at the very back of Fantasyland. I had come across the concept layout on someone's Blogspot, but I don't remember how I found it. There also would have been a lagoon behind Main St labeled as Fantasmic/water show, Thunder Mountain would have been on an island like how Thunder Mountain is on an island in Paris (looked like Jungle Cruise still occupies the river), Circlevision would have been in Tomorrowland, and Space was symmetrically flanked by Communicore (present day Innoventions at EPCOT).

  13. #13

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maryland, Baltimore to be exact
    Posts
    171

    Re: Should Cinderella Castle have been HKDL's castle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Koutesu View Post
    While I only go to Anaheim, I do think Sleeping Beauty Castle in Hong Kong combined with the mountains behind it is just beautiful. The mountain backdrop is what gives Hong Kong's version of Sleeping Beauty Castle its uniqueness.

    The Hong Kong Disneyland that was never built would have had the castle at the very back of Fantasyland. I had come across the concept layout on someone's Blogspot, but I don't remember how I found it. There also would have been a lagoon behind Main St labeled as Fantasmic/water show, Thunder Mountain would have been on an island like how Thunder Mountain is on an island in Paris (looked like Jungle Cruise still occupies the river), Circlevision would have been in Tomorrowland, and Space was symmetrically flanked by Communicore (present day Innoventions at EPCOT).
    i think youre slightly missing the point of this particular thread

  14. #14

    • Koubu Pilot
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Mesa, Az
    Posts
    1,498

    Re: Should Cinderella Castle have been HKDL's castle?

    Quote Originally Posted by Omegadiz View Post
    i think youre slightly missing the point of this particular thread

    The thread's title is "Should Cinderella Castle have been HKDL's castle?". The only possible posts should be "yes", or "no" since the thread's title is a closed ended question. No one has posted "yes" or "no". Everyone is talking "castles" around here.

  15. #15

    • Internet.Serious Business
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities
    Posts
    4,824

    Re: Should Cinderella Castle have been HKDL's castle?

    If it did it would have messed up the scale of the main street, seeing as they copied all of Disneyland's MSUSA, I guess taking the castle only fit.

    But a new unique one would have always been accepted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Question] Cinderella Castle walk through
    By AtomicBear in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-16-2009, 09:00 AM
  2. Should HKDL's Sleeping Beauty Castle made a walk-through attraction?
    By josh_kslow in forum Hong Kong Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-13-2007, 11:19 PM
  3. What did they do to Cinderella Castle???
    By DisneyMickey in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 11-02-2007, 10:42 PM
  4. cinderella castle
    By kuksoolwon in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-11-2006, 11:34 PM
  5. Cinderella Castle Refurbishment
    By disneydude35 in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 08-06-2006, 10:27 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •