What's this Tomorrowland meant to be?

I've never been to Hong Kong Disneyland, but I've looked through a lot of photos and there's one thing I'm really confused about: what is the Tomorrowland meant to be?

With the Disneyland, Magic Kingdom and TDL Tomorrowlands, they're seemingly going for a Buck Rogers futuristic city style (albeit fractured at present) and before that there were the realistic depictions of a utopian tomorrow presented by Walt. Discoveryland in Paris has the Vernian element tying (almost) all of it together as a futuristic city as imagined by the Victorians. But I can't quite figure out what Hong Kong's is trying for. It's not realistic, it's not Buck Rogers, it's not Victorian.

Now I've read that the Imagineers identified Hong Kong city as being a real Tomorrowland in itself and I think it was a wise choice that they took it in a different direction, but I can't tell what direction it was they chose... As far as I can tell almost all of it seems to be a cartoonish, toy-like version of the future. Is this right? Is it kiddie-Tomorrowland?

There seem to be a lot of strange choices, like the UFO Zone playground with oversized sci-fi toys, and Buzz Lightyear - at Disneyland, the toy elements seem to be confined inside the building, whereas here they're very much brought out into the land as a whole - even the building itself looks like a toy box (with the painted starburst-on-starfield logo) rather than, say, the headquarters of Star Command. Then there's the yellow rocket, the flying saucers, the wavy cafe roof which are all exaggerating a childish rounded design, which then contrast with the harsh, geometric, silver rocks at the Stitch Encounter and the angular Space Mountain.

I wonder if I'm missing something having never been to the park, that I can't get through photos? What direction is the land aiming for, and how successful do those of you who have visited the park think it is in achieving that?
    Last edited by MouseketeerCole; 11-05-2010 at 12:15 PM.

Beastly Kingdom
    ? Sci-fi City? Pirateland? Port Disney? Discovery Bay?
    My website: The Neverland Files - all about Disney projects that never got built!
    My blog: Disneyology - Imagineering news and commentary!

• Minion

Re: What's this Tomorrowland meant to be?

I guess they wanted to go for the more "fun" view on Tomorrowland.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Minion

Good topic, Cole.

Tim Delaney was the lead designer and the official line on TL from the making-of book is it's "a space port - a family friendly space outpost in a far away galaxy." I'm sure the limited budget factored heavily into the final design.

My personal feelings towards the design and execution of HKDL TL are somewhat contradictory in that I think (A) it is easily the most thematically consistent & coherent Tomorrowland in existence today; but (B) its theme & design aim lower than all the other TLs. As you mentioned, from the photos it feels like Tomorrow Playland.

So it hits its design goal, but that goal was child's play.
    Last edited by RandySavage; 11-05-2010 at 03:53 PM.

• Future Disney Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    Good topic, Cole.

Tim Delaney was the lead designer and the official line on TL from the making-of book is it's "a space port - a family friendly space outpost in a far away galaxy." I'm sure the limited budget factored heavily into the final design.

My personal feelings towards the design and execution of HKDL TL are somewhat contradictory in that I think (A) it is easily the most thematically consistent & coherent Tomorrowland in existence today; but (B) its theme & design aim lower than all the other TLs. As you mentioned, from the photos it feels like Tomorrow Playland.

So it hits its design goal, but that goal was child's play.
    I agree with this, right here. This Tomorrowland had the most coherant theme of all TLs, which is a (cartoon) alien galaxy. All of the rides involve space travel, and fighting aliens. There is no ride themed to an Earthen utopian future.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Well, Tomorrowland is the most satisfying land at HKDL. It has basically 3 really good rides (SM, BLAB, Autopia) and is the mot crowded nowadays- well at least since i left HK 4 months ago. Its not cheap design wise, it may look cheap because itself is very small, if Autopia were removed for a huge expansion of the land then it would look so much better. A Star Tours could be put here and would easily fit into the theme of an alien world and intergalactic travel etc... This is also a good land to put in movie rides e.g Wall E, Monsters INC.

• Not here to help

One thing that is cheap is HKDL´s Space Mountain... now there we have CHEAP!
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Current CM

Quote Originally Posted by HKDLFAN View Post
    A Star Tours could be put here and would easily fit into the theme of an alien world and intergalactic travel etc... This is also a good land to put in movie rides e.g Wall E, Monsters INC.
    Please no Monsters Inc for HKDL's Tomorrowland, that doesn't fit in with the "space port" theme. I'd be glad if Disney do something related to the murals in Starliner Diner.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Quote Originally Posted by iluvHKDL View Post
    Please no Monsters Inc for HKDL's Tomorrowland, that doesn't fit in with the "space port" theme. I'd be glad if Disney do something related to the murals in Starliner Diner.
    I dont think Autopia fits in. Ultimately its what is popular in HK. Thats why TSL is coming to HKDL because the brand is very popular there. More people like Pixar than the classic Disney animations.

I don't see why Monsters INC shouldn't be in HKDL since BLAB doesn't fit in either with its whole concept of being shrunken to toy size and help Buzz fight Zurg. The cartoony aspect of HKDLs TL enables it to have these rides blend in perfectly unlike TDLs TL in which Monsters doesn't fit in at all.

A Marvel ride would be great for HKDL, you have any idea of how popular Iron Man and Spidey are in HK? The Dark Knight wasn't anywhere near as popular as Spiderman 2, neither was Star Trek or any Disney movie apart from Toy Story 3. I of course would abhor the idea of having Marvel anywhere near HKDL but its not about me.