Breakfast at HKDL

Hi guys, how's the breakfast buffet at the HKDL Hotel? Is it any good? How does it compare to other hotels?

Are there any other great places to start one's day at HKDL? I'd rather splurge on one good meal than spend a little less on a few not-so-good meals.

• Banned User

Re: Breakfast at HKDL

I wish I could help, but I never had breakfast at HKDL. We did have two very nice dinners at Chef Mickey's at the Hollywood Hotel. But I will add this much.. I have spent less on some very good meals inside the park. I think hotel buffets, especially anything that have characters bothering guests and interrupting their meals.. is overhyped and overpriced.

We did the breakfast once and it was pretty decent food. Personally, I'd skip the character brunch and do something that you can only get at HKDL - dim sum! If you are visiting on a weekend, check out the Crystal Lotus at the hotel - they have Disney themed dim sum. (I have a couple articles online if you want to see pics of the dim sum - search for Disney themed dim sum on Google...I've heard you cannot use links here). The dim sum is quite good and it's rather fun to see the creations they come up with. Also, the Plaza Inn inside HK Disneyland serves Cantonese dim sum and entrees. It is one of the few places where we've found dim sum carts (something not always easily found in parts of Asia anymore).

My thought is you can do a character buffet at any of the Disney Parks, but the dim sum is truly something unique to HK. We don't always get to enjoy it as I often visit HK during a week day and the hotel only serves it on the weekends and public holidays. If you go though, it is considered more lunch as they don't start serving it until 11am. We usually grab a quick bite and then come back to the hotel when they open as the Disney dim sum usually sells out around 2pm. Not sure what time they start serving at the Plaza Inn, but I know it goes later in the day.

As for other food in the park, we usually eat at the Corner Cafe as they have themed entrees depending on the holiday. The bakery usually has some seasonal goodies and be sure to try an egg tart - a Chinese specialty!

I have to be honest, most of the time we go back into HK to eat. My husband and I are foodies (plus I'm a food and travel writer) so any chance we get to enjoy HK's culinary scene, I'm all over it. We live close so we do weekends in HK and visit Disney for part of a day only.

Hope you have a great time!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Breakfast buffet at Chef Mickey is alright. Dinner is so much better there. I would reccomend you take the free shuttle to the main hotel and have breakfast at the Enchanted Garden which is entirely western. It's slightly expensive though.

Breakfast is also available at the park. The waffles at the Main St Corner Cafe or the pancakes at the stall outside Small World are Good alternatives. If you want a salty breakfast at the park then go to the bakery at main street. They have egg rolls, tarts, muffins, Danishes, pastries, fruit etc... And at a reasonable price.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by HKDLFAN; 11-09-2010 at 03:01 AM.

All right, I'll keep Chef Mickey's in mind! Thanks!

You're right, I don't think I want the characters intruding since I'll be with someone who has a fear of characters.

@poohstraveler I love dimsum. We still have a lot of dimsum places here in Manila that have dimsum carts. So as a foodie, how does the dimsum in HKDL rank? Is it an absolute must try or am I better off with the tea houses in the city?

@HKDLFAN, it was the breakfast at the Enchanted Garden that I was looking at initially. I'm just concerned about the characters, is it possible to ask them to stay away from us?

The real reason I'm looking for breakfast there is that I wanted to come to the park early, and to visit the hotels to check out their Christmas decorations. I thought since we'd be there already, might as well treat ourselves to a nice breakfast.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Quote Originally Posted by SirEdge View Post
    @HKDLFAN, it was the breakfast at the Enchanted Garden that I was looking at initially. I'm just concerned about the characters, is it possible to ask them to stay away from us?

The real reason I'm looking for breakfast there is that I wanted to come to the park early, and to visit the hotels to check out their Christmas decorations. I thought since we'd be there already, might as well treat ourselves to a nice breakfast.

Ive been to the Enchanted Garden many times with my parents and sister and we enjoy the characters but when my 4 year old cousin comes to HK once a year, we always ask the CMs to not let them near us. Once you tell them, you don't have to worry about Mickey and friends coming anywhere near you. Its quite organized as with any Disney character buffet.

As I said, breakfast at the park can be very enjoyable if you're willing to go buy things from the bakery. Main Street Corner Cafe has light snacks if you would like that but the only feasible breakfasty thing they have are the waffles. The Bakery has all the things you would need in a breakfast except hash browns! so just grab a tray full of food and sit down at the eating area only half a minute away. And the Ice Cream Stall outside Small World has really nice pancakes so try those!!

Thanks HKDLFAN, I'll consider those. Despite being overpriced, I hope the food is at least good.

Quote Originally Posted by SirEdge View Post
    @poohstraveler I love dimsum. We still have a lot of dimsum places here in Manila that have dimsum carts. So as a foodie, how does the dimsum in HKDL rank? Is it an absolute must try or am I better off with the tea houses in the city?

Ohhhh! Jealous! You will have to give us some suggestions when we visit Manila! The Dim Sum in HK is amazing. I've been to locals' recommendations that were good and then some that were just ok. Depends on the experience you want and how much you want to spend. If you just want good food and don't care about the atmosphere, the hole in the wall places are awesome. If you want to shell out some bucks, we LOVE the Ming Court at the Langham Place in Mongkok (two star Michelin restaurant). There is another place we are going to try this weekend when we go, but don't know the name of it - will ask the hubby and let you know. It's a 1 star Michelin place, that's all I know.

When are you going to HKDL? We're leaving Friday morning (6am flight uuugh) so we will be there for opening.
    New Disney Blog: Pooh's Travels
    Worldwide Disney Theme Parks Examiner for Examiner.com

@poohstraveler

Sure, just send me a PM. Last Sunday, we had a late lunch at this restaurant called Causeway, and for a particular time in the day, all the stuff in their dimsum cart goes for about US$1 each. Yum. It's not the best dimsum ever, but it's pretty good. At that price, it's wonderful.

I'll be taking the late flight out, hey just realized this now - exactly a month from now, on Dec. 17. I'll probably go to HKDL on the 20th or the 21st.