• Loves Mickey!

First trip to HKDL!

Hello!
    We will make our first trip to HK Disneyland this December around the 21 or 22 and have so many questions! Our local parks are TDL and TDS so any comparisons between the two would be really helpful especially in terms of waiting times. Our group consists of two adult and a toddler but we are used to waiting in long lines and long amounts of time so that is not a problem!

1. What time should we arrive at the park? Is one hour before ok or is earlier better? Do people run once the gates are open? At Guest Relations are story papers available?
    2. What are crowds like in late December? (Comparison to TDL would be very helpful.)
    3.Is the parade viewing area divided between sitting and standing room? How popular is the Christmas parade and procession of toys and how early should we start waiting for front row standing area? Is there a show stop in the Christmas parade or toy processional? If there is a show stop where is the Mickey position? What are the rules concerning plastic mats for sitting on? Are tripods allowed?
    4. Is there Christmas fireworks?
    5. How long generally is the line for Meet and Greet with the characters?
    6. What attractions are very different from TDL's attractions besides Jungle Cruise, Lion King show, Tarzan tree house, Stitch Encounter and It's a small world?
    7. Is it possible to see all the Christmas events pus Golden Mickeys and ride Jungle Cruise, It's a Small World, Autopia, Stitch Encounter and the train in one day, also the Lion King show? What attractions offer FP?
    8. What snacks and restaurants are recommended in the park? Is there flavored popcorn and themed popcorn buckets?
    9. What are some recommended goods and their prices?
    10. What is recommended to see at the Hotels?

Sorry for so many questions and thank you in advance for any advice!
    Please follow me @dreamsweetslove on twitter!
    https://twitter.com/#!/DreamSweetsLove

Re: First trip to HKDL!

Quote Originally Posted by ichigopara View Post
    Hello!
    We will make our first trip to HK Disneyland this December around the 21 or 22 and have so many questions! Our local parks are TDL and TDS so any comparisons between the two would be really helpful especially in terms of waiting times. Our group consists of two adult and a toddler but we are used to waiting in long lines and long amounts of time so that is not a problem!

1. What time should we arrive at the park? Is one hour before ok or is earlier better? Do people run once the gates are open? At Guest Relations are story papers available?
    2. What are crowds like in late December? (Comparison to TDL would be very helpful.)
    3.Is the parade viewing area divided between sitting and standing room? How popular is the Christmas parade and procession of toys and how early should we start waiting for front row standing area? Is there a show stop in the Christmas parade or toy processional? If there is a show stop where is the Mickey position? What are the rules concerning plastic mats for sitting on? Are tripods allowed?
    6. What attractions are very different from TDL's attractions besides Jungle Cruise, Lion King show, Tarzan tree house, Stitch Encounter and It's a small world?
    7. Is it possible to see all the Christmas events pus Golden Mickeys and ride Jungle Cruise, It's a Small World, Autopia, Stitch Encounter and the train in one day, also the Lion King show? What attractions offer FP?
    8. What snacks and restaurants are recommended in the park? Is there flavored popcorn and themed popcorn buckets?
    9. What are some recommended goods and their prices?
    10. What is recommended to see at the Hotels?

Sorry for so many questions and thank you in advance for any advice!
    Lines at HKDL are much shorter in my opinion. You are going during the week, which should help also. The longest lines I've stood in at HKDL was about 30 minutes and that was a Halloween maze last year. I will try to answer some of your questions from my own experiences. I am sure others will have more input.

1. People don't run (that I've ever seen). You can arrive a few minutes before, but I've never seen that many people line up beforehand (will let you know if it's different when I am there Friday). I've never seen the story papers, but that doesn't mean that don't have something similar.

2. HKDL was a ghost town last Christmas as compared to TDR on the days I was there. I was stunned at how long the lines were at Tokyo on Christmas Day though!

3. As for the parades, sitting in the front and then it's kind of a free for all. Last year, they told people on the second row to sit down, but Halloween this year, the guy next to me (on the front row) stood up! Again, you are going during the week so probably 1/2 hour to an hour max. I walked up 20 minutes before the Halloween one on opening day this year (on a Friday) and had front row seat. Small tripods are allowed, but they cannot be taller than you, nor can they be on the street (if you sit on the curb). So, if your tripod doesn't do short heights, they may ask you to take it down in the front. I never see people spread out on huge mats like they do at TDR. Some do, but not as many as you might expect. I don't remember anything about the stops at all - we usually stake out at the end of Main Street by the Corner Cafe.

4. Not that I am aware of based on the media info I received.

5. It can really vary based on characters. Halloween definitely draws some lines for certain characters - don't remember for Christmas. I will pay attention when we are there on Friday. I'd say probably around 20 minutes or so.

6. Off the top of my head, can't come up with much - except Pooh (which is not as good as TDL in my opinion)

7. I think you could see everything in one day,especially during the week. As for FPs....hmmm, drawing a bit of a blank off the top of my head. Space Mountain, Buzz Lightyear, and Pooh are the only ones I can think of.

8. I don't collect the popcorn buckets, so I don't pay much attention to those. (I think I am one of the only ones that doesn't it seems lol). We eat dim sum inside the park and the Disney dim sum at the hotel is awesome, but it's only available on weekends and public holidays. I like the Corner Cafe for seasonal food, the bakery has good sweets - usually seasonal designs. The Crystal Lotus at the Disneyland Hotel (where they have the Disney Dim Sum) has excellent Chinese food for dinner - the views are quite nice as well.

9. Goods vary - won't know what the seasonal merchandise is until Friday when I am there. They usually give photos with the media releases, but I got nothing this time. If you collect Disney pins, they have a lot (like what Tokyo used to have back when they were doing pin trading). The prices are a lot less than Tokyo for sure. I like some of the Chinese themed goods - we have the tea set, Mickey & Minnie dressed in Chinese outfits (pillow, beanies, and photo frame).

10. Both hotels have nice gardens. Ambassador has some themed stuff way out near the water that is kinda cool.

Hopefully this helps some!
    New Disney Blog: Pooh's Travels
    Worldwide Disney Theme Parks Examiner for Examiner.com

I'll probably be there on the 21st as well!

A quick answer to most of your questions, there are generally less people in HKDL. People are generally, from my experience, a little less enthusiastic, and I had my share of off-putting encounters with some tourists from mainland China.

You shouldn't worry so much about lines or the attractions. I was able to do, pretty much every single attraction, except for Tarzan's Treehouse, the carousel, and the Orbitron/Astro Orbiter, on a half-day last December. And that's with a handful of rounds in Space Mountain.

• Banned User

Very cool you are going to HKDL Ichigopara. But trust your intints.. this is not madly crowded like TDR. I will answer any questions you may have personally next time we get together. I am in Shanghai right now and my time is limited online... darn "pay for" internet.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

I havn't been since 2008 and that was in May, so I'm going to avoid giving answers about crowds or treats available.

No Christmas show will be offered this year. Although the park has done shows in the past.

The lines are longer on Main Street than what you will find else where in the park. Fantasyland Gardens is a good spot. But I have a feeling only the Characters on Main Street will be wearing Christmas Costumes.

Its possible but best to be avoided if you ask me. Despite reports you may have heard or read the park is a full day expereince. I attempted to do it all in one day and still didn't catch everything I wanted to see. So I think two days is fine. That way you can enjoy the park and all its seasonal offerings and by going over two days it will give you an opportunity to maybe enjoy some more of the park and catch one of the stage shows twice, and give you more time to buy merchandise and take pictures, if you plan to do that!

By the way keep an eye out for the procession of Toys a special Christmas offering that will be presented at 6.30 pm and is going to feature Duffy. If your after more answers or questions or just after another view feel free to message me.

• Banned User

Oh Ichigopara.. I am so bummed. I just found out I will be in HKDL on Dec 18th. So I will miss seeing you at HKDL by mere days!!! But I hope to see you at TDR on nov 30th?

• Loves Mickey!

Thank you so much everyone for the advice! Sorry for the late reply but it's pretty busy here!

2. HKDL was a ghost town last Christmas as compared to TDR on the days I was there. I was stunned at how long the lines were at Tokyo on Christmas Day though!
    Oh yes! The crowds here when it comes to Christmas are pretty intense especially on the weekends!

3. As for the parades, sitting in the front and then it's kind of a free for all. Last year, they told people on the second row to sit down, but Halloween this year, the guy next to me (on the front row) stood up!
    This was something I was kind of worried about. I don't want to be stuck behind someone who decides to stand at the last minute and don't want to be that person in the front row who stands and blocks someone. So I guess it's best to just do front row seating. The procession looks like it is all standing room though right? I saw the video that was uploaded here and would like to know if someone can describe the position it was taken from. I can just ask the CM where the float stops and they will tell us right?

8. I don't collect the popcorn buckets, so I don't pay much attention to those. (I think I am one of the only ones that doesn't it seems lol). We eat dim sum inside the park and the Disney dim sum at the hotel is awesome, but it's only available on weekends and public holidays. I like the Corner Cafe for seasonal food, the bakery has good sweets - usually seasonal designs. The Crystal Lotus at the Disneyland Hotel (where they have the Disney Dim Sum) has excellent Chinese food for dinner - the views are quite nice as well.
    Thank you! Do yo know if the afternoon tea is themed like at the Tokyo Disneyland hotel and also if it's a limited number?

Its possible but best to be avoided if you ask me. Despite reports you may have heard or read the park is a full day expereince. I attempted to do it all in one day and still didn't catch everything I wanted to see. So I think two days is fine. That way you can enjoy the park and all its seasonal offerings and by going over two days it will give you an opportunity to maybe enjoy some more of the park and catch one of the stage shows twice, and give you more time to buy merchandise and take pictures, if you plan to do that!
    Two days is not possible this trip but I think we will come back soon especially with the introduction of LCC flights out of Haneda and come to see the 5th anniversary and new parade so I will probably get and annual pass. So if we miss a few attractions it's ok but the wait times sound not bad at all!

Oh Ichigopara.. I am so bummed. I just found out I will be in HKDL on Dec 18th. So I will miss seeing you at HKDL by mere days!!! But I hope to see you at TDR on nov 30th?
    Thank you! We are looking forward to seeing you! I can't believe we will miss each other by just a few days!!

One more question if it's ok. I will travel with my 4 year old son and would like to know about how to collect the different stickers!
    Please follow me @dreamsweetslove on twitter!
    https://twitter.com/#!/DreamSweetsLove

• Banned User

Stickers are handed out by cast members.. just approach any CM in the park, especially custodials, and they will give whatever sticker they have in their posession.

But Ichigopara... don't worry so much. Your post is a reflection of how things are done at TDR..so you are worrying a bit too much about things.. I believe you will find HKDL's slower pace and compacted size a nice welcomed after years of putting up with huge crowds, running around and long waits at TDR. You will not need more than a day to see the park. Just get there early enough and trust me.. you will see it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichigopara
    The procession looks like it is all standing room though right? I saw the video that was uploaded here and would like to know if someone can describe the position it was taken from. I can just ask the CM where the float stops and they will tell us right?
    Yes, you can ask, and hopefully they will be as knowledgeable as the CMs in TDR. If this was WDW, I would say.."no, they won't". LOL
    Anyways... seems like that video was shot from the Emporium's sidewalk. (Think WDW's MK, Emporium on the left side of the street? same in HKDL.)
    Last edited by TDLFAN; 11-19-2010 at 04:37 AM.

I remembered last year when I went to It's a small world Christmas. It took me 1 minute for waiting. The line was about 10 meters long.

Popcorn bucket on sale now.

• Banned User

Nice to see they are selling in the same Xmas Mickey popcorn from WDW and DLR. I wonder if Paris has them... I know TDR does not since they are usually different than the "ordinary One Disney" parks.

• Minion FOREVER!

Thanks for all the responses as well since we'll be there on one of the days between 12/24 - 27.
    (This'll be our first trip to HKDL!)

One question from me: are the popcorn flavored like in TDR?