• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Lightning McQueen debuts at HKDL to Rev Up Summer Fun with Guests

Source: Lightning McQueen debuts at Hong Kong Disneyland to Rev Up Summer Fun with Guests

(Hong Kong, May 30, 2011) Lights, camera, action! Disney‧Pixar movie “Cars 2” will surely rock the town this summer! Not only will this spectacular movie hit theatres this summer, but from June 10 to August 31, the super star, Lightning McQueen, will be making his debut at Hong Kong Disneyland with his friends during the Park’s 5th anniversary. He will be starring in the all-new, interactive Lightning McQueen LIVE!, where his pit crew ramp up the excitement as Guests are invited to party with Lightning and take photos with the international legend! Guests may also Race Around the World to meet with racing stars, taste some international cuisine and collect passport stamps from different exotic photo destinations around the world. Guests can also test their secret agent abilities in each country with the Cars Secret Mission.

“Disney friends have always been popular and our Guests enjoy meeting them in the Park. As you can expect when there is a long awaited movie showing in theaters, its characters also enjoy high popularity. Last year, we saw the popularity of Woody and Buzz Lightyear increased fivefold according to our Guests survey results for the same period, thanks to the screening of the summer hit ‘Toy Story 3’,” said Vincent Wong, Marketing Director, Hong Kong Disneyland Resort.

“As we have the Disney‧Pixar Movie “Cars 2” coming this summer, we are bringing its leading character “Lightning McQueen” to appear in the Park for the first time with some other special secret agents. We have also launched an interactive Cars Secret Mission to provide a fun and entertaining summer experience for our Guests,” added Wong.

Lightning McQueen LIVE! Accelerates Summer Fun
    Lightning McQueen is zooming to Hong Kong Disneyland to debut in his own show, Lightning McQueen LIVE! Before competing in the first-ever World Grand Prix, Lightning is partying with Guests as the Disney pit crew rev up the summer dance party and gives Guests a chance to take a photo with the star himself. Snap it quick, before he zooms away! Ka-chow!

Hit the road and Race Around the World!
    The racing stars from “Cars 2” will be showing their charm at Hong Kong Disneyland this summer as they Race Around the World. The Cars stars will be awaiting Guests at four international photo locations, including Japan’s luxurious Ginza, the beautiful Italian coast and the Euro-chic streets of London and Paris. Guests may also grab a Secret Agent Passport and track the characters as they collect exclusive passport stamps from each location. Don’t forget to try some delicious grab-and-go snacks, ranging from Roasted English Honey Sausage, Sushi Roll, French Mini Puff Skewer and delicious Tiramisu – this will surely complete the summer jet-setting experience for Guests!

What does it take to be a secret agent?
    Guests can take the secret agent test to find out if they are a professional secret agent like “Mater”! By using the Secret Agent Passport QR Code at each location, C.H.R.O.M.E Secret Mission Headquarters will track the status of each secret agent and will reveal the status level after Guests have visited all four countries and completed each mission successfully. Upon receiving the personalized secret agent certificate, Guests can continue their adventures online.

Be sure not to miss the high-acclaimed Flights of Fantasy Parade and Tinker Bell’s Castle specially created for the 5th anniversary Celebration in the Air. Tinker Bell is looking forward to meeting Guests in the park to ensure that the magic continues to be magnified throughout this exciting summer!

Duffy’s Racer Outfit Hits Stores this Summer
    To celebrate the debut of “Cars 2”, the Park is presenting over 80 new “Cars 2 merchandise items, including t-shirts, accessories, toys and stationery. Duffy is also getting ready for the race with his brand new racer outfit.
    Doesn't look like Mickey's WaterWorks is performing this year...

Re: Lightning McQueen debuts at HKDL to Rev Up Summer Fun with Guests

Not a huge Cars fan, but this sounds awesome! Thanks for sharing this!

If this replaces WaterWorks, then there's hope for replacing the atrocious Let It Snow parade.
    Last edited by SirEdge; 05-31-2011 at 12:09 AM.

Hong Kong Disneyland | Celebration In The Air

Maybe no Mickey waterworks this year. This year they focus on Cars 2 I dislike this character....

• Minion

ORGOCH: Well, then, why don'tcha just pour sugar down his dang gas tank? That'll take the lightnin' right outta him!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

The money spent on the 5th anniversary has reduced HKDL's budget for seasonal activities it seems. A dull Chinese New Year, an uninteresting summer event makes me think Halloween this year won't be as great as it was last year and the year before. I really don't get why WaterWorks was canned since it was a huge hit at the park ever since it debuted a couple of years ago.

• Banned User

I'm not particularly surprised by this. Flights of Fantasy is essientally the sole focus of the 5th Anniversary and will run un-interrupted through this year. However, I suspect the following year, Water Works could return.

None the less, this summer event sounds miserably lame. I already miss Stitch's Summer Dance Bash, small but very well done.

Hmmm, so can you help me get it straight, there will be FoF parade and this whole Cars thing?

I just had the impression initially that this was going to be separate parade.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Showing on TV sets in HK right now.

• Minion

ORWEN: It's always nice to have something new to conjur up in your crystal ball. Thank you for the latest Hong Kong Disneyland update, HKDLFAN, duckling.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Its a shame to see no Mickey's Water Works. But Hong Kong Disneyland probarely has the best Summer programme this year out of all the Disney Parks. Disneyland's Soundsational Summer looks outstanding but all of the offerings will be sticking around after the Summer months. So I don't look at it really being a Summer offering. Hong Kong Disneyland on the other hand is presenting a new show and many new photo locations. And is putting all advertising into the Cars characters. So its a unique offering for one year only. Plus you take into account all the new 5th offerings will continue during this time and lots of new merchandise offerings including a new Duffy costume. I'm happy with this line up.

• Banned User

GAH! It is so bad! It is just very poorly designed. They have McQueen come out in the beginning, and play the same music for about 5 mins before they actually start the "show". When it finally does start, McQueen the center of attention does nothing more than rock back and fourth for a total of 4 minutes. The Route 66 part of the show I thought was the best section, the choreography was well done and there is a fairly good amount of performers.

Ways to fix this show: First off save McQueen for the end! Also, add another car or two. Have the beginning and middle portion of the show focus on the performers who actually do something (and I must say that HKDL performers look to be of very high caliber! Very impressed with their work).

• Not here to help

wow

This fits DLP...

The dancers are great and look much better (and fit) than in the states. The musik was ok. The rest just sucked.
    ...I agree that that McQueen should have been saved for later. One car is not enough!
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

Find theLightning McQueen Live! full show!

• Minion

ORDDU: A witch would think that Tomorrowland would be a more appropriate place for this show to take place, say near the Autopia attraction where there are other cars nearby.