Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Exotic or Local Adventures?

A lot of people have been talking about 2nd park and this even applies to Shanghai. For the local audience, what do they prefer, local adventures or exotic ones?

Tokyo DisneySea caters to those who want exotic locations as nothing in that park is in the same continent.

Then there is Disney California Adventure which is the opposite extreme where every adventure is within a 10 hour drive.

What do the locals want?
    Last edited by Ice101; 06-27-2011 at 11:07 PM.

Re: Exotic or Local Adventures?

The wild success of California Adventure suggests that locals would rather local adventures, obviously...

You mean 2nd gate? I think the balance of thrill rides and family rides is important. Right now HKDL has too few thrill rides and too many family rides.

As for theme, it depends on many things. DisneySea divides the park into different harbours. DCA divides the park into different areas of California. I think DisneySea's idea is more global and suits the Hong Kong visitors much better.

I believe HK public wants unique rides that are not available in any other Disneyland parks, especially the upcoming Shanghai DL. We are happy with Mystic Point and Grizzly Gulch because these will be unique to HKDL for sometime.

Build us a thrilling roller coaster with Iron Man as its theme and you have a winner. Although I doubt very much Disney will make Iron Man exclusive to HKDL as it is such a valuable property.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MactheMan View Post
    The wild success of California Adventure suggests that locals would rather local adventures, obviously...
    The theme is one of many things wrong with the park.

But several people are suggesting that Shanghai will be given a more "Chinese" touch with Chinese themed lands etc. My question is, would locals rather have these "Chinese" additions, or would they prefer the far more exotic
    (to them) additions that are already present in other Disney parks?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Keep in mind the locals aren't like the mainlanders therefore much more westernized. Exotic locations would be much more popular amongst the locals in my opinion.

Exotic definitely.

It's part of the appeal of going somewhere else, HKDL does it well enough, just not enough of it. It will also provide a great deal of flexibility as far as theme is concerned. California Adventure "works" because the various forms of Americana easily incorporate the different kinds of amusement parks.

Chinese theme can get you to some degree, but can't we leave that to the actual local parks like OP and 360 Ngong Ping? If I really wanted Chinese culture, and this will sound a little ignorant, I'll just go to the mainland.

• Not here to help

WHAT?! It sits besides one of the most classic and visited places in the world, still it took a mega rebuild to make it just OK. ...and still it does not draw that much people as itīs much better neighbour.

Please Disney... donīt make a stupid mistake. Make it EXOTIC! ...a few local touckes are always welcome.
    Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 06-28-2011 at 04:27 AM.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

Yeah, Americans.

===
    A mulan ride/themed area would be great. But making the whole park Chinese/Hong Kong-themed is just going too far. Look, NP Village here is a complete trash. People go there because of the cable car and buddha, not that fake village housing stupid attractions. Like what SirEdge said, I'd rather go to the mainland if I want authentic Chinese. Cheaper+better food.
    Last edited by iluvHKDL; 06-28-2011 at 02:57 AM.

I thought the questions' answer was pretty obvious to begin with, so I thought I sarcastic reply wouldn't have been misunderstood.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    WHAT?! It sits besides one of the most classic and visited places in the world, still it took a mega rebuild to make it just OK. ...and still it does not draw that much people as itīs much better neighbour.

Please Disney... donīt make a stupid mistake. Make it EXOTIC! ...a few local touckes are always welcome.
    Is this Sarcasm or did you miss his?

• Nutty about Disney parks

I would haveta disagree. The only reason that DCA is more of a local adventure is because the corporate suits thought it was a clever scheme to steal more tourists away from the real California that was right outside the park, but even then they went about it all wrong. The locale concept was forced onto the guests. They only accepted it because of the success of California Screamin' and Soarin'. If not for those two rides, the park would've been must worse when it first opened.

On the other hand, "Exotic" doesn't always cater to all tastes, and the one place that comes to mind is Disneyland Paris, a park that many French protest the building of and had to add alcohol into its park in order to cater to the locals. Also, and I can only guess at this, I think the reason the hotels are doing so bad is because the idea of giving 6 out of your 7 hotels an American theme doesn't sit too well with many European guests. Also, they built their second gate after a mainly all-American theme of a Hollywood studio backlot. Yeah...
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Banned User

Guys: MatcheMan was joking/using sarcasm/not being serious.

However, I do appreciate your response. And toonaspie, the reason the hotels are doing bad is because there was 7 hotels, for one theme park. Obviously it will fail no matter what the theme.

• Minion FOREVER!

Exotic to the local audience.

But instead of DisneySEA, DisneySKY (Sorry, don't have any idea what SKY would stand for).

Quote Originally Posted by HKDLFAN View Post
    Keep in mind the locals aren't like the mainlanders therefore much more westernized. Exotic locations would be much more popular amongst the locals in my opinion.
    mainlanders likes exotic locations too, just let you know that pirates of the carribean might be heading to shanghai, if you look carefully at the shanghai concept art you will see a large pirate area and a galleon. also there is a maya temple. the castle would be disney's biggest

@shanghairules, Yup, we're aware of those possibilities and i'm excited for shanghai disneyland as well. i guess it's more of a response to Disney's decision to make SDL a more "localized" park.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast