Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Minion

Mystic Manor Toonified?

Mystic Manor is the one theme park attraction under construction I am looking forward to the most, representing that rarest of the rare, an original E-ticket dark ride unconnected to any pre-existing franchise or film.

The 2009 D23 Expo artwork and model were very, very promising.

I noticed, however, that the current display in Hong Kong shows a maquette of the monkey (and an illustration of Lord Mystic) that are far more stylized and cartoony than the D23 renderings:

2009 D23 on Left, 2011 Display on Right

I have a sinking feeling (since the maquette is on display) that this may be the direction the character representations within the attraction have taken, and would be a radical change in tone: less Hotel Hightower, more Tarzan's Treehouse (with cartoon representations in tangible backdrops). I realize some people (and many kids) may react better to the cartoony execution of the attraction... I'm not one of them.

Can anyone with inside knowledge confirm or assuage my fears?

Re: Mystic Manor Toonified?

Oh.

No.
    "And after a long time or a short time, Ivan and the Wolf came at last to the home of the Firebird..."

It's hard to say what it the attraction will finally look like till we get closer to it's opening. Maybe there was a decision for something more stylized to better fit with the culture that will be the core audience? It is a mystery indeed.

---------- Post added 09-28-2011 at 07:33 AM ----------

We do have a clue of how the human characters voice might sound, of course nothing is final till it's open.

A sample is at 26:58

Last edited by AtomicBear; 09-27-2011 at 11:34 PM.

From what I gather, the focus seems to be on the effects happening before the guests' eyes rather than an actual feeling of horror/humor. So a toonified version is possible. In fact, I expect it.

Each day, I slowly accept this possibility. In fact, I'm imagining a cartoonier, smaller scale version of Indy. Not exactly the best mental image. I've always expressed the desire for some nod to HM in musical form, a spectre of sorts, or a finale. Right now, I'd settle for enough visual puns.

• Not here to help

The newer toonified look is aweful. If that is the way things will look it better be one good ride that makes up for it.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    The newer toonified look is aweful. If that is the way things will look it better be one good ride that makes up for it.
    Although I don't always agree with you, Timmy, I second this.
    "And after a long time or a short time, Ivan and the Wolf came at last to the home of the Firebird..."

• Sawasdee! สวัสดี! :)

I hate Toy Story Land,
    and now I'm goin' to hate this (awful) cartoony ride? -___-

• Minion

I didn't mean to incite any unwarranted pre-condemnation of the attraction (since we know so little about it), only to see if any Micechatters with contacts at WDI can confirm or deny the toony, ostensibly kid-friendly version, so I can set realistic expectations.

Thanks for the video, although it seems to support the toony version (i.e., the somewhat comedic, silly British accent, rather than a more sinister Thurl Ravenscroft-like approach).

• Not here to help

The carton monkey is plain ugly. This is the monkey that I want to see:

http://www.visitchn.com/wp-content/u...r_50397059.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_IYCurpREyZ...ysticManor.jpg
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Munchings & Crunchings

One thing occurs to me after seeing the more cartoony characters. I think it has to do with cost. It's much easier for WDI to create AA's that are this stylized. They don't have to worry about fur, or realistic movements. They can do things cheaper by making everything look simpler.

Personally, I don't like the direction, but I would be willing to bet that's why they are doing this, so they can cut costs, or possibly direct the money toward the special effects. To me, it kind of takes away from the "mystic" part if it's more like Tarzan's Treehouse, or Sindbad's Storybook Voyage. It could do with a bit of suspense and creepyness like TDS's Tower of Terror. This "silly" version will just not have the same thrill, because the characters are not serious enough.

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I don't understand what it means to be 'toonified' but it's rather ironic that there is so much animation character bashing taking place on the topic boards, of late, considering that the Disney Company got its start promoting and making money off animated characters. Certain modern Disney fans seem to look down their noses at cartoon these days and can't seem to appreciate them as much as the older, more traditional Disney fans did. It's as if they expect the Disney company to turn its back on its own legacy and create something else to satisfy the 'toon haters' of the world.

ORGOCH: Ain't gonna' happen.

ORWEN: Fortunately there are enough Disney fans out there who DO still like animation and 'toons'. They actually seem to be in the majority.

• Minion

"Toonifying" means, for example, going through the Jungle Cruise and replacing animal AAs that look like this:

With animal AAs that look like this:

No one's looking down their nose at animated features and we understand their rightful place in a Disney park. But there needs to be a healthy dose of more real-world based attractions to make the overall park experience compelling for a wide audience (IMO). HK's Adventureland: 2 of the 3 attractions based on animated films. HK's Fantasyland: 100% based on animated films. HK's Tomorrowland 2/5 attractions on animated films. Toy Story Land: 100% animated.

This park desperately needs that more menacing, real world type attraction (PotC, Tower of Terror, Haunted Mansion, JttCotE) that is going to draw the pre-teen/teen/young adult audience that may look at animated rides as kids' stuff.

• Munchings & Crunchings

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    This park desperately needs that more menacing, real world type attraction (PotC, Tower of Terror, Haunted Mansion, JttCotE) that is going to draw the pre-teen/teen/young adult audience that may look at animated rides as kids' stuff.
    And the park is ripe for it too, just look at what they do for Halloween. They obviously have a market for scary and thrills. So, yes, the park could really use a permanent attraction that reflects that.

• Imagineering God

I was hoping that this would be the attraction that adds a little bit of a dark/somewhat thrilling kick to the park, but I guess I was wrong.

Let's just hope the Grizzly Peak coaster doesnt involve miners prancing around rainbow colored gold singing at a painfully high register with lyrics so campy I'll need to drink a bottle of Pepto Bismol afterwards, but you never know.

• Minion

ORDDU: Thank you for your explanation, Randy Savage, duckling. Off hand I don't recall seeing anything quite as drastic as the example you depicted. But my sisters and I are open to seeing any other examples you'd like to point out. The Jungle Cruise should most certainly have animatronics of reality based looking animals.

ORWEN: There are some Disney fans out there who seem to really hate just about ANY Disney animated characters by the way they express themselves. Your topic title just reminded us of them and that's why we said what we said.

ORGOCH: Well, heck! I don't like most 'toons' my own dang self. 'Cept fer my best brewin' buddy--Mad Madame Mim--none a the rest of 'em ever did anything fer me! So I wouldn't mind bashin' any a the rest of 'em!

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast