Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: HKDL to release proposal for the design of further expansion

I think the HK govt may not be interested in cloned rides like TSM and Star Tours 2, as they seem to insist on exclusive rides as the current expansion suggests. Both TSM and Star Tours 2 will be at TDR so they don't even qualify as Asia exclusive.

HKDL knows only too well not to push in that direction.

• Watch Your Language

Loss Narrows at Hong Kong Disneyland - WSJ.com

---------- Post added 01-11-2012 at 07:47 PM ----------

Quoted from news article, "Hong Kong Disneyland, which has reported record attendance figures, said yesterday it was planning to double visitor numbers within a decade by turning Lantau into a major tourist destination."

"Developing tourism to Lantau, the biggest island in Hong Kong, was a key component of Disneyland's strategy to attract 11 million visitors a year by 2022, almost double the record 5.9 million it attracted in 2011, said Andrew Kam Min-ho, managing director of theme park, which last year narrowed its net loss from HK$718 million to HK$237 million."

Source: SCMP
    Disneyland planning Lantau push | HK News Watch | Latest Hong Kong, China & World News | SCMP.com

---------- Post added 01-11-2012 at 07:54 PM ----------

If their new target is 11 million tourists per year by 2022, they need more attractions, hotels and retail/shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Asa View Post
    I think the HK govt may not be interested in cloned rides like TSM and Star Tours 2, as they seem to insist on exclusive rides as the current expansion suggests. Both TSM and Star Tours 2 will be at TDR so they don't even qualify as Asia exclusive.

HKDL knows only too well not to push in that direction.
    But I wonder, do they even consider TDL as competition?

Quote Originally Posted by SirEdge View Post
    But I wonder, do they even consider TDL as competition?
    No, they don't. Tdl target on Japan local tourists. But hkdl target on south east Asian countries and southern part of china.

• Minion

ORDDU: It's so nice to see you around here again, Keithlee83, duckling! Don't be a stranger. Do you still have your wonderful web site up and running?

• Banned User

They need something like a Star tours attraction. That would help beef up the E-Ticket roster.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey View Post
    They need something like a Star tours attraction. That would help beef up the E-Ticket roster.
    I would be first in line if they re-theme it with John Carter. They don't have to pay Lucasfilm royalties and John Carter is supposedly what inspired George Lucas to do Star Wars, so it is a similar theme.

My opinion is that, if HKDL is to attract 11 milion people a year to the resort, it will need to be among the Best Theme Parks in the world. I want HKDL to attract Disney fans and tourists from all around the world to come and see it. Not just the locals or people living within a certain distance around it.

If HKDL just keep on making copies of other Disney rides to "complete" the park, then it is not going to achieve that aim. It needs to be world class and it needs its signature attractions.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Asa View Post
    My opinion is that, if HKDL is to attract 11 milion people a year to the resort, it will need to be among the Best Theme Parks in the world. I want HKDL to attract Disney fans and tourists from all around the world to come and see it. Not just the locals or people living within a certain distance around it.

If HKDL just keep on making copies of other Disney rides to "complete" the park, then it is not going to achieve that aim. It needs to be world class and it needs its signature attractions.
    Well stated. I agree, and I hope Andrew Kam and the HKDL leadership do as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: It's so nice to see you around here again, Keithlee83, duckling! Don't be a stranger. Do you still have your wonderful web site up and running?
    Morva haha I come there few times everyday, looks how you all speak, funny!
    My blog is still here, you can see the link, I will go tsl,TDS next week. Hope could post some pics.

• Minion

ORWEN: It would be ever so nice to look at whatever pictures you have to show us, Keithlee83, duckling! We look forward to seeing them!

• Minion

Interesting quote from Disney & More Blog..

Hong Kong Disneyland proposal will include building one large hotel and three smaller vacation-style hotels which will be connected by a tram and the park, which saw a record 5.9 million visitors last year - also aims to build an artificial lake. If the new plans looks too big for the HK government which owns 57 percent of the park, HKDL is apparently willing to compromise, saying that all four hotels do not have to be built at the same time.
    Sounds a fantastic idea to me. OK, I'm cautious at the idea of 4 more hotels, but the notion of them being connected by a tram sounds a nice unique aspect to the resort.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    Interesting quote from Disney & More Blog..

Sounds a fantastic idea to me. OK, I'm cautious at the idea of 4 more hotels, but the notion of them being connected by a tram sounds a nice unique aspect to the resort.
    Not to dampen everyone's excitement but Kam actually disputed the four new hotel claim. He states there are one large and one small parcels of land for two additional hotels. He also mentions that the tram ride and artificial lake are just some of the ideas and more detailed plan would come in 12 months' time the earliest.

Source (in Chinese): j
    Last edited by wali; 01-16-2012 at 09:14 AM.

I agree with RandySavage that there is dearth of even adequately themed queues in HKDL. The queue in IASW is my favorite, but only because it reminds me of EPCOT (maybe it's the floor), and it's hardly themed at all.

Immersion is something that is very difficult to achieve in HKDL. The ride with the biggest set-up is Buzz Lightyear and that's it. Off the top of my head, I can't think of any ride with a themed queue. Maybe the Toy Solider Parachute is a distant second.

Regarding the hotels, I'm glad to hear from wali that it's probably not going to be four hotels. The two existing ones feel plenty enough already and since the park is accessible, there's no need to stay on property. Unless the add more things to do either by expanding the park or making a Downtown Disney sort of shopping area that is unique enough from the shopping mecca that is Hong Kong.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Star Tours II and TSM seem like the easiest winners because they've both been considered (and shown on maps or models) before (Star Tours 1 at least).

I hope they have:
    1. Star Tours (new version)
    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
    3. Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (with two separate tracks)
    4. Tangled dark ride

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast