Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

• Watch Your Language

HKDL to release proposal for the design of further expansion

The managing director, Andrew kan of HKDL replies to local news media that they are planning for further expansion

They would release the conceptual design to public within this year.

• Sawasdee! สวัสดี! :)

Re: HKDL to release proposal for the design of further expansion

Great news!
    Sorry for grammar mistakes! I'm not really good in English!

• Minion

ORWEN: Can we start taking bets on which attractions will be a part of the new expansion? I'd bet on The Littler Mermaid dark ride, since it was originally supposed to be there already and it's already been added to DCA and is going into the Magic Kingdom.

• Bangarang!

^That wouldn't be a bad idea at all. That's if they can all agree on it.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

As far as taking bets on the post-2013 expansion plans, there are two counter-weights to consider:

1. There will be a desire from within Disney to clone popular attractions to minimize cost & risk. And there will be an equally strong desire to synergize with the Company's film & consumer products properties.

2. As stated in some articles, the Chinese audience is not as pre-disposed to Disney properties as the Japanese, Americans & Europeans (which is why 2/3 of the current expansion features original material created for the park). HKDL may want to continue to go for its own unique approach (one can only hope).

As far odds go:

Things I don't think we'll see:
    - Indiana Jones or Star Tours (avoid paying Lucasfilm licensing fees)
    - Little Mermaid (cooling affect of attraction's light popularity at DCA)
    - Traditional Fantasyland dark rides (Chinese don't know the older characters)
    - PotC (already nixed)

Possibilities:
    - Avatar (concurrent development would spread costs)
    - Something original (Audience not wholly familiar with established Disney rides, HKDL wants to distinguish itself from Shanghai)
    - Something Marvel (Disney wants to start leveraging this expensive aquisition).

Likeliest options:
    -Toy Story Mania (proven popularity, land & plot readily available, fairly low cost)
    -A Pixar attraction (Wall-E?) based on the same technology being developed for the Ratatouille ride in Paris
    -Soarin' over the World (clone, crowd-pleaser, relatively cheap)

• Watch Your Language

http://www.headlinefinance.hk/inews_....php?nid=35441

According to the above news article, "  有消息指,迪士尼已向港府提交不同初步建議,其中一個構思中的遊樂設施為「星球大戰」(StarWa r)主題,據稱其中一款類似巴斯光年的「星戰」射槍遊戲。"
    ...(translation) HKDL has submitted a number of proposal, one of them being a star war theme attraction....
    http://www.headlinefinance.hk/inews_....php?nid=35441

They also propose a retail shopping complex as big as 1 million square feet.
    Last edited by HongKongDisneyland; 01-10-2012 at 12:28 PM.

• Minion

ORWEN: So, The Little Mermaid dark ride isn't all that popular, Randy, duckling? I didn't know that. In that case, you may be right. Still, they need to flesh out Fantasyland more. I would at least think Peter Pan would be popular--or what about Rapunzel? Did she do well in Hong Kong when her movie was released there?

^ The article posted right after my post mentioned Star Wars being considered (assuming that was officially stated by Andrew Kam and not observer speculation), so that shows how much(little) I know. Regarding Mermaid's success, I've read six months after opening it never has a significant wait, while Toy Story Mania across the bay continues to get big crowds (fully understanding the capacity of the Mermaid omni-mover is much greater) and reviews I've read have been mixed.

But I believe Fantasyland in HK could eventually expand west of Small World connecting with Toy Storyland.

•   
    • TDS and TDL FUN times

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    ^ The article posted right after my post mentioned Star Wars being considered (assuming that was officially stated by Andrew Kam and not observer speculation), so that shows how much(little) I know. Regarding Mermaid's success, I've read six months after opening it never has a significant wait, while Toy Story Mania across the bay continues to get big crowds (fully understanding the capacity of the Mermaid omni-mover is much greater) and reviews I've read have been mixed.

But I believe Fantasyland in HK could eventually expand west of Small World connecting with Toy Storyland.
    Little Mermaid doesnt have a wait , it has no fast pass and is a constant omnimover... which is like haunted mansion but with the mansion you have to go down the elevators first...

Toy Story Mania is a slow loader and has a much lower theoretical hourly capacity
    Mermaid is popular its a huge people eater, you just dont see the lines becauses constantly loading..

One thing I found interesting is the Star Wars Game similar to Buzz lightyear... Hmm so could we see a way to use lightsabers or rayguns... personally if they can perfect the lasers to come out stronger raygun style game of star wars would be great... imagine taking on stormtroopers

Star Wars seems odd, particularly if they build it in the empty plot that they have been talking about. Isn't Star Wars supposed to be in Tomorrow Land? Why do they want to pay Lucasfilm license fees, when they can use their own Marvel properties like Iron Man (hugely popular here), Up or Wall-E?

Chinese audiences ARE familiar with these recent titles (thanks to pirated DVDs and bit torrent), it is the old ones (Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp etc) that people here have problems with.

What I read from other reports like Apple Daily is that the remaining 7 acres will be used to build ONE themed area that includes rides, hotel and a shopping centre.
    Last edited by Asa; 01-10-2012 at 05:59 PM.

• Minion

ORWEN: Hmmm....so you don't think Peter Pan's Flight to Neverland would be a good choice, Asa, duckling? I keep thinking that even if a particular movie isn't well known an attraction based on any movie will be popular if it's done just right. I mean, look at Alice in Wonderland at the original Disneyland. The movie didn't do all that well but Alice's attraction still seems popular.

Witches, attractions can stand on their own if they are well done. But I think HKDL and HK Govt are probably waiting for Grizzly Gulch's debut before making a decision, as it will be the first "movie free" ride at HKDL.

TSL has been massively popular, despite all the lambasting, because people are attracted by the 3 great movies. Merchandises alone have done very well.

But we have not seen yet how a "movie free" new ride like Grizzly Gulch will manage. If you look at It's a Small World and Autopia, they did not generate much buzz when they opened in 2008 and 2006 respectively. The potential for merchandises is also lower. You don't have to buy Disney to get a T-shirt with a grizzly bear on it.

I usually agree with you, but in this instance, I may not want to just because I want those rides.

As far as taking bets on the post-2013 expansion plans, there are two counter-weights to consider:

1. There will be a desire from within Disney to clone popular attractions to minimize cost & risk. And there will be an equally strong desire to synergize with the Company's film & consumer products properties.

2. As stated in some articles, the Chinese audience is not as pre-disposed to Disney properties as the Japanese, Americans & Europeans (which is why 2/3 of the current expansion features original material created for the park). HKDL may want to continue to go for its own unique approach (one can only hope).
    Unfortunately, these two are very true, with the first one being more true. The second one is significant, with the mainland visitors comprising somewhere between 40-50% and that is likely to decrease after SDL opens.

Often ignored, or at least not that focused on, are the Southeast and South Asian markets who make the trek to HKDL. Proof is in their still terrible English version of the Jungle Cruise. I don't understand how they afford to keep Stitch Encounter good, but not Jungle Cruise. Blargh.

Disney characters are well-known enough. Enough copycat fairy tale books and imagery abound in China and Asia. Snow White is iconic, it's hard to imagine any other interpretation of the character. Mermaids who don't look anything like Ariel are redheads. Different retellings of Beauty and the Beast also include magical objects to varying degrees.

As far odds go:

Things I don't think we'll see:
    - Indiana Jones or Star Tours (avoid paying Lucasfilm licensing fees)
    - Little Mermaid (cooling affect of attraction's light popularity at DCA)
    - Traditional Fantasyland dark rides (Chinese don't know the older characters)
    - PotC (already nixed)

I highly doubt Indy as well, but the ride system is possible if they're willing to invest in such a huge dark ride.

I think there's room, and a possibility of one D-ticket dark ride being included. Mermaid is the best bet because following the desire to cut back is the duplication of a ride still currently being constructed in the MK.

On PotC, its absence is the one that makes the least amount of sense to me. Could you explain to me why it has been nixed?

Possibilities:
    - Avatar (concurrent development would spread costs)
    - Something original (Audience not wholly familiar with established Disney rides, HKDL wants to distinguish itself from Shanghai)
    - Something Marvel (Disney wants to start leveraging this expensive aquisition).
    All possible, although I highly doubt the first one, since I'm pretty sure they'd rather have the AK one in WDW be where Avatar makes its debut.

Marvel is always possible. Although for some reason, I think that it'll look like a cheap Ironman M&G. Maybe Tomorrowland?

Something original, I think this is the best of all possible solutions, and surprisingly the most likely. While HKDL is not beyond flat out cloning as evidenced by a lot of its original attractions, save for the JC. Their expansion attractions have largely seemed to be reimagined versions. MM, BGM, & even IASW are examples of these.

I'm hoping for an original flume ride with AAs all over the place. A twist on SM & PotC. That's what's left anyway for them to reimagine right?

Likeliest options:
    -Toy Story Mania (proven popularity, land & plot readily available, fairly low cost)
    -A Pixar attraction (Wall-E?) based on the same technology being developed for the Ratatouille ride in Paris
    -Soarin' over the World (clone, crowd-pleaser, relatively cheap)
    I'm sorry to agree but TSM is very likely, and is a ride I am not really looking forward to. I've never been on it, but the more I think about it, the less excited I am.

Pixar attraction is exciting, as long as its a dark ride.

Soarin' would be wonderful, but where can it be incorporated thematically? Unless they reshoot, it might not be that feasible. Tomorrowland would be too futuristic for it, and Main Street would be too old for it. I can imagine it in Adventureland, but it might need to be reshot to maybe feature Asia?

Quote Originally Posted by SirEdge View Post
    Could you explain to me why it has been nixed?
    PotC has been a planned expansion since opening day (its icon appears at the edge of Adventureland on the souvenir wall map sold at HKDL, and a model of its interior appeared in the "making-of" book). Even after Mystic Manor, the park will still be devoid of any of the life-like AA-heavy attractions that have helped make Disney parks famous and beloved around the world (the animated figures of Jungle Cruise, IASW, and Pooh just aren't the same). I bet the Chinese audience would appreciate these types of lengthy, highly-immersive, AA-rides (with elaborate queue build-ups - something else HK lacks) if they ever get the opportunity to experience them. Mystic Manor seems to be in that vein (atmospheric), so hopefully it will be a homerun with HKers.

Why was PotC nixed? Insiders (Lee MacDonald) once reported that when HKDL was considering its much-needed expansion back around 2007, one of the front-runners was an expanded, $750 million Pirates land, with multiple attractions, including the Splash Mtn-hybrid you mentioned. Reasons offered for why it got the "no" include its hefty price tag (1.5x the current three land expansion), distaste for the depiction of Chinese pirates in At World's End, and risk (all eggs in one pirate basket).

A different version of the PotC concept seems to be a lock for Shanghai. It is my hope (and seems to be the case) that Disney will see the wisdom of making Shanghai & Hong Kong two very different castle-style parks, with little repetition. Give some classics to HK (IASW, Jungle Cruise, Space Mountain) and others to Shanghai (PotC, HM?). And hopefully more original creations to both.

I don't think they will build a land, they don't have enough money from profit. Maybe they will build a small ride first, starwar ,tsm are both choices maybe.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast