First-time HKDL visitor looking for some planning resources

Hiya, as fortune and fortitude would have it, it looks like my wife and I might be able to visit Hong Kong, and of course we'd be spending a day (or two) at the HKDL resort. We're Disney park veterans for sure, so my questions are more about how they do things in Hong Kong. Forgive the boilerplate queries, but you really have to start with the basics.

- We're looking to visit in February, and we saw the blackout days for New Year - are we asking for trouble trying to visit the few days before? Is there any time in February where New Years crowds aren't nuts? We're not bent on getting low season crowds, but we'd certainly like to avoid the peak. Finding a crowd calendar online was unsuccessful.

- Are two days necessary? Keep in mind we usually do 6 days for WDW and 3 for DL, and find a lot of the fun comes from when the frenzy of making sure you've gotten on everything has passed and you can take it a bit slower. With average crowds, is that possible in one day at HKDL? FWIW - the second day pass was HK$100, so quite a deal.

- Is there a good guide to the resort (online or print)? Not that you folks won't love answering my consistent questions about minutia, but I know most of the basic information has to be out there already. Even a detailed trip report would suffice. Logitistics make or break a vacation, so I'm not about to wing it.
    www.gregscoasterphotos.com <- Go there, it's good!

Re: First-time HKDL visitor looking for some planning resources

Definitely visit before CNY. HKDL do not run any promotions these days during CNY because they get bus loads of mainland Chinese visitors delivered right to their doorsteps, they cannot handle anymore.

If you can afford two days (time wise), then do take two days in the park. Many will tell you that one day is enough but with the recent additions of Toy Story Land and Grizzly Gulch, it is getting very close to a full day park.

It is a shame that you will be coming before Mystic Point opens, which will likely take place in March when the park is less crowded and need a boost.

You will very much enjoy Hong Kong Disneyland. While it is familiar, it is certainly different and so are the visitors. It's very easy to get to by train from the city, as well as a nice place to stay with reasonable priced hotel rooms. I like to call it "The Little Park That Tries So Hard." While it is very similar to DL's layout, and is small, it is unique with its own offerings, merchandise and some attractions. It can be done in one day if that's all the time you have, but two days would give you a nice opportunity to really experience all it has to offer.

I suggest you take a look at the website and see what you find to be different from the other Parks, and then start searching the blogs for information. I don't know of a book, but I'm sure there's one out there, but really, all the information you need is here. Use search here to try to find specific topics, and of course, ask questions. We are all so happy to help out fellow travelers.

Quote Originally Posted by GUYNYC View Post
    You will very much enjoy Hong Kong Disneyland. While it is familiar, it is certainly different and so are the visitors.
    Yeah, that's something I really enjoy about visiting all the different parks around the world. Tokyo Disneyland was surreal, familiar but foreign at the same time, both in wonderful ways. It was like being in a dream, wonderfully disorienting.

Quote Originally Posted by GUYNYC View Post
    It's very easy to get to by train from the city, as well as a nice place to stay with reasonable priced hotel rooms. I like to call it "The Little Park That Tries So Hard." While it is very similar to DL's layout, and is small, it is unique with its own offerings, merchandise and some attractions. It can be done in one day if that's all the time you have, but two days would give you a nice opportunity to really experience all it has to offer.
    The logistics don't seem to be too complicated, if anything the international Disney resorts are easier to get to than the US ones. Looks like it's a similar situation as with Tokyo and Paris - outside the downtown area but easily accessible by commuter rail. If the Metro system in Hong Kong is half as easy to navigate as Tokyo, we'll be in great shape. We had no problems whatsoever. I assume it's not remotely necessary to stay at the resort even if visiting 2 days in a row? We commuted 3 consecutive days to TDL from downtown and that was fine. Easier/cheaper than switching hotels anyway.

Right now my biggest question is if we're asking for trouble visiting the week before CNY. It looks like the week following is the national holiday at least. I think it'd be amazing to be in HK for the beginning, then we're hopefully going to be on a plane headed for Thailand. We'll definitely want to visit the park before the holiday week, assuming it's bearable then.

Quote Originally Posted by Asa View Post
    Definitely visit before CNY. HKDL do not run any promotions these days during CNY because they get bus loads of mainland Chinese visitors delivered right to their doorsteps, they cannot handle anymore.

If you can afford two days (time wise), then do take two days in the park. Many will tell you that one day is enough but with the recent additions of Toy Story Land and Grizzly Gulch, it is getting very close to a full day park.

It is a shame that you will be coming before Mystic Point opens, which will likely take place in March when the park is less crowded and need a boost.
    So it looks like CNY is Sunday, Feb 10th. So if we're at the park on Thurs and/or Friday the 7th/8th we should be ok?

Yeah, it's too bad we'll miss Mystic Point (maybe they'll be doing a soft opening? Not sure how far along construction is), but at the same time, we'll get to do Grizzly Mountain.

Thanks very much for the responses! I appreciate the insight.
    www.gregscoasterphotos.com <- Go there, it's good!