Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• former CM

Re: My rating system for visiting all parks in one year - what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    Which parks had the best of a certain land?
    That's a big topic for another thread that's limited to the five Disney parks with castles at the end of Main Streets.

Than again, it's an interesting topic and I'd read about that even if it appeared in this thread, so I'll start the controversy:

TOMORROWLAND from best to worst, without having visited Hong Kong:
    1. Magic Kingdom (A Peoplemover and a decaying CoP. Fix CoP and I'll make a reservation.

2. Tokyo, though it's a distant second, unlike the excellent park's other lands.

3. Paris, because the Space Mountain was painful and I hold a grudge.

4. Disneyland Anaheim. Our Tomorrowland with our abandoned Peoplemover track, ugly & obstructed entrance, nightmarish Captain EO with obnoxiously moving seats, and Innoventions is the only weak point at the Disneyland Resort in the beginning of 2013 in my opinion. I still like the Jedi Training, Buzz, and Star Tours. The subs aren't bad and Space Mountain could be bigger so it had taller hills and turned in both directions.

MAIN STREETS:
    Four way tie, though WDW's has a barber shop, Paris' is set about 20 years later which is interesting, and (detraction) Tokyo's has a roof which obstructs the view of the castle and takes away from the theme. This is sacrilegious, but I do prefer WDW's castle to Disneyland, so that gives points to the view on WDW's Main Street. Then again, I've been avoiding WDW for about 12 years, because I keep reading that it's gone downhill.

ADVENTURELANDS:
    I'm ineligible since I worked at Disneyland's and am biassed.

WESTERN/FRONTIERLANDS
    :
    The first one to re-open the Golden or Diamond Horseshoe Revue will buy my vote. It looks like it'll be Disneyland. Won't the MK get the Diamond Horseshoe Revue in 2013? How sad & second rate if they won't. The idea of replacing Tokyo's Westernland with a Carsland is, in my opinion, a big, bad, expensive mistake.

FANTASYLANDS
    :
    Last edited by jcruise86; 01-04-2013 at 10:40 AM.

I would take Tokyo's Tomorrowland over the Magic Kingdom's any day. I have always disliked the messy metalic look of the front area of Tomorrowland. Much prefer the classic old look of the Tokyo one and their attraction list. As for Adventurelands.. Hong Kong's theming hands down the best. Magic Kingdom the worst as it is a theming mess

With a visit to HKDL a couple weeks ago, I've now joined the ridiculous 11 for 11 club. It's pretty surreal.

It's so hard for me is to rank the parks. So much depends on when you go, how old you were, how often you've gone, what condition the park was in, etc., etc. Each park has highs and lows over the years (and decades), and I think it's only fair to rate a park at what was your best visit. It's also hard to compare a park you've been to a dozen times over several decades versus one you've been to once for just a few hours. For reference, here are dates of my most recent visit at each resort (I did visit each park at each resort during these visits):
    Hong Kong Disneyland - Feb '13
    Disneyland - Nov '12
    Disney World - Jan '12
    Tokyo Disneyland - Sept '11
    Disneyland Paris - June '09

1. Disneyland - Nothing touches the original.
    2. Tokyo DisneySea - A modern theme park marvel
    3. Epcot - Visiting in the 80s, this WAS Disney to me
    4. Tokyo Disneyland - Best copy of the Magic Kingdom
    5. Animal Kingdom - Beautiful setting, a wonderful escape
    6. Disneyland Paris - A lot of charm, even if it's not perfect
    7. California Adventure - Has come a LONG way in the last few years
    8. Magic Kingdom (WDW) - Hits the highlights, lacks the depth
    9. Hong Kong Disneyland - Just getting started, very pleasant
    10. Hollywood Studios - Not bad, just not great
    11. Walt Disney Studios - Unremarkable

Obviously I'm not a fan of either Studios parks. They're not at all bad, just don't measure up to the magic and immersion of the other parks. A straight ranking is a bit mislead, and I group 1-2, 3-8, 9-10, and 11 as sort of four tiers.
    www.gregscoasterphotos.com <- Go there, it's good!

Quote Originally Posted by sarki7 View Post
    3. Epcot - Visiting in the 80s, this WAS Disney to me
    Having only visited half or so of the Disney parks, I'm quite hesitant to rate and rank, but I just have to say, I totally agree with you on EPCOT!

Looking back, I guess the reason I loved EPCOT so much was that it seemed closest to the spirit of Walt Disney himself. Maybe that seems like a bold claim, but I think it's one thing to make an E-ticket attraction with a mascot, or a memorable film with a decent ride system. Clearly Universal has been doing this well, and another thing altogether to make science & culture into an attraction that feels accessible to all ages and still resonate emotionally.

My last trip to WDW was almost 20 years ago, and I secretly fear that my fond memories of EPCOT might give way to disappointment the next time I visit.
    Last edited by SirEdge; 02-25-2013 at 03:43 AM.

Definitely nothing wrong ranking the parks you've been to!

We're definitely on the same page with Epcot, and you touch on the reason I'm not a fan of the studio parks, they do a poor job of taking me away. With the exception of Tower of Terror, I feel very little immersion. Epcot is the other end of the spectrum, in my mind anyway.

I do wonder if you'd be disappointed with a visit to Epcot since it's been so long. The place was VERY different from my first visits in the late 80s (at least Future World is). I definitely miss what Journey Into Imagination was, and Horizons was a favorite. The additions, Test Track, Soarin', and Mission: Space are fine and all, but lack the heart and the depth of the classics. What keeps Epcot so high in my rankings is my new-found appreciation for World Showcase. Having been lucky enough to travel to 9 of the 11 countries (all but Norway and Morocco), I have WAY more appreciation for the mini-vacation that a visit provides. It's a poor substitute for the real thing, sure, but it's a nice, if temporary, escape.

Almost as significant, a visit to the World Showcase is entirely different when you're old enough to drink. That was not the case for me the in the 80s.
    www.gregscoasterphotos.com <- Go there, it's good!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123