Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My rating system for visiting all parks in one year - what do you think?

I'm posting this in the Hong Kong forum, because as the smallest park, I'm hoping to catch the most people who have been to all the other parks around the globe.

My partner is named after Donald Duck, and since he turned 40 this year, we thought we'd celebrate in grand style by visiting all 11 Disney Parks in 2012, with a stop at Aulani and a short cruise on the Dream. Needless to say - it was an amazing year!!

Anyway, before we began, I devised a rating system to compare the parks. This was done for fun and interest; I'm curious what others think about the system and the outcome. Keep in mind that it is difficult to compare apples to oranges, and even more difficult to compare U.S. apples to international apples.

Each park could earn 75 points in these categories:
    1. Park Ambiance (1-10): visual design and cleanliness
    2. Cast Members (1-10): level of service and courtesy
    3. Food (1-10): variety, quality and price
    4. Park Attractions (1-15): variety, quality, detail and interest - please note that we are not thrill ride people, but love dark rides
    5. Parades/Shows (1-5): quality and appeal
    6. Area Infrastructure (1-5): ease of access and transportation
    7. MAGIC Points (1-20): the indescribable feeling you get about a park

Here are my results in place order:

1. Tokyo DisneySea - 75 points
    2. DisneyWorld Magic Kingdom - 72 points
    3. Tokyo Disneyland - 71 points
    4. Disneyland - 67 points
    5. DisneyWorld Epcot - 66 points
    6. Disneyland Paris - 65 points
    7. Hong Kong Disneyland - 61 points
    8. DisneyWorld Animal Kingdom - 60 points
    9. Walt Disney Studios Paris - 57 points
    10. DisneyWorld Hollywood Studios - 45 points
    11. California Adventure - 35 points

To be fair, I should note that we visited California Adventure in February - the absolute worst time to go as the park was in complete disarray in preparation for the re-opening this summer - there wasn't even an entrance as we walked through a green construction wall. Out rating would likely be different had we visited DCA in the fall.

Name:  Florida.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  42.4 KBName:  california.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  69.5 KBName:  paris.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  49.4 KBName:  tokyo.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  40.3 KBName:  hongkong.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  50.6 KBName:  adventure.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  58.9 KBName:  animal.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  74.6 KBName:  epcot.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  41.0 KBName:  parisstudio.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  59.6 KBName:  studios.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  59.2 KBName:  tokyosea.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  58.3 KB

Re: My rating system for visiting all parks in one year - what do you think?

My suggestion would be to add "ticket price" to your rating system. Bear in mind that today Disneyland California costs around US$87 per ticket while little Hong Kong Disneyland, at HK$399 (about US$50), is a little more than just half the price.
    Last edited by Asa; 11-14-2012 at 11:14 PM.

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

For me it would be interesting to know how you rated each park's Ambience/Cast Members etc in seperate category's. Instead of just a combined figure. I am really struggling to understand why for instance the Magic Kingdom was rated second to Tokyo DisneySea and above other worthwhile Parks. Disneyland for instance is a much cleaner Park with better selection of Attractions. I'd also rate it a much better on Cast Members and Park Food. I think both Parks are about matched on shows and Parades, although I would give the edge to Disneyland. Access would have to go to Disneyland also and Disneyland is the Park Walt stepped in and always to me feels more Magical.

Even without the Cars and Buena Street additions DCA deserved a better rating. And do you really feel the Studios in Paris is a better Park to Hollywood Studios. Again I just struggle to understand the logic behind how you've rated some of these Parks. So a deep explanation is needed I feel.

• i heart plunging v-necks

I can't fathom Studios Paris outscoring any other park. I found that place rather dismal. It would be nice to see how each park scored in the respective categories.

last time i buy crystal ball from pic n save!

• Team Hail HYDRA

you must of not been to DCA 2.0
    anywho that is a trip i want to do

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

WHAT AN AMAZING YEAR YOU HAD!!!!!!
    I'm completely jealous and would love to do something like that. What a conversation piece!
    Love the collection of pictures--you'll have to do a photo book for sure.

You should try and get back to DCA it has greatly improved since the opening of Buena Vista Street and Cars Land. I was just there for Halloween and what a difference. I would rank it far better than WDSP and even better than DHS.

I too have been to all the Parks, and do believe that had you visited the reboot of DCA it would've ranked higher. And I believe that DLP should've ranked better than it did--it is so beautiful. And I'm totally surprised at MK beating TDL. I've given up on WDW in general, and find TDL to be a much better and more magical experience than MK, so I find myself going there more often rather than to Florida. Agree with you 100% on your ranking of TDS.

It would be interesting to see the breakout for each score...

But seriously, again, what a wonderful year you had!

• Just another Disney fan..

I have been to all 11 parks and would like to know if this ranking resilts really matches your true ranking not using a point system.

I agree with only your first place. After that my personal ranking varries significantly.

• Not here to help

WDS 0
    But thats just me...
    Call me crazy but I hate terrible places.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by malice View Post
    I can't fathom Studios Paris outscoring any other park. I found that place rather dismal. It would be nice to see how each park scored in the respective categories.
    I haven't been there in a while, but I also found the Disney's Paris Studios park to be depressing--all concrete and ugliness. The only Disney park I don't like, and I HATED it. Has it improved that much in the last decade?

I'd be interested in reading how others (Timmy, Timmy, Timmy & Dustysage?) rank all the Disney parks with comments, though it's fine with me if you don't use ilovedonaldduck's point system. Just list them from favorite to least favorite.

IloveDonaldDuck, thanks for starting this! Next year please visit the world's most popular non-Disney parks, then the world's most beautiful national parks, then the best ski areas, then report back to me for further instructions.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 11-16-2012 at 10:07 PM.

I agree with others. I can't imagine anyone preferring WDS to any other Disney park.

My unscientific ranking would be the following:

1. Tokyo DisneySEA.
    2. Disneyland.
    3. Disneyland Paris.
    4. Tokyo Disneyland.
    5. Disney's Animal Kingdom.
    6. Disney California Adventure.
    7. Magic Kingdom.
    8. Hong Kong Disneyland.
    9. Epcot.
    10. Disney's Hollywood Studios.
    11. Walt Disney Studios Paris.

Quote Originally Posted by GUYNYC View Post
    My unscientific ranking would be the following:

1. Tokyo DisneySEA.
    2. Disneyland.
    3. Disneyland Paris.
    4. Tokyo Disneyland.
    5. Disney's Animal Kingdom.
    6. Disney California Adventure.
    7. Magic Kingdom.
    8. Hong Kong Disneyland.
    9. Epcot.
    10. Disney's Hollywood Studios.
    11. Walt Disney Studios Paris.
    Good job!

Other than Epcot being a little lower than I'd rank it, this list is very representative of how I would rank the parks based on their current offerings.

• former CM

I really want to read more rankings of folks who've been to all 11 parks. (Thanks for adding your list, GUYNYC.) I've been to nine and I haven't been to some of them for a while, but here's my one cent. (Not really worth two.)

1. Disneyland and Tokyo Disneyland (Tie) Note: I haven't been to Tokyo DisneySEA. YET. But having just been to Tokyo Disneyland I'd like to thank Japan! They've honored Walt Disney and built something that is, in some ways, a tribute to capitalism.

3. Disneyland Paris & the Magic Kingdom (Tie. Yeah, I'm a sucker for castles at the ends of Main Streets. Please make Paris' Space Mtn. less painful and fix up the MK's Carousel of Progress.)

5. EPCOT & DCA (Tie, I'm a sucker for beer and nice views. It does seem like Disney leaders are content to let EPCOT decline so I'm pretty sure I'll prefer DCA to EPCOT in a couple of years.)

The parks above this sentence are parks I love and the two ranked parks below are parks I merely like.

7. Disney's Animal Kingdom. (Take out the Festival of the Lion King and I'll mark you down. Put in a better, working Yeti and I'll mark you up.)

8. Disney's Hollywood Studios--I guess we'll spend part of a day here and maybe hit the Sci Fi Diner and the Prime Time Cafe. I do LOVE movies & Walt, so I like the old Great Movie Ride and the Walt exhibit. And a FP for Toy Story Mania is nice. But I'm one of many for whom this is my 4th favorite theme park at WDW.

Not ranked: Walt Disney Studios Paris
    . Should it really be considered a Disney park? I mean, it is, but it seems unworthy. It needs a more dramatic makeover than DCA received. I hope the Ratatouille/Paris area is just a start.

Hong Kong Disneyland--I haven't been, but might be tempted if they offer more attractions and if they are unique. Or if Disney Cruise lines has an affordable cruise that goes from Hong Kong to Tokyo.

Last edited by jcruise86; 11-17-2012 at 09:16 PM.

First up, sounds like you and your partner had a fabulous trip around the World. Plus visitng the hawaiian hotel and the Cruise ship as well? WOW! Turning green with envy here. LOL

However.. I too have been to all the Disney parks, thanks to my husband's many business trips to popular cities around the Globe. It pays to work for a global electronics company, hehe.

There are some rankings on your list that I respectfully disagree with, like, for example...Magic Kingdom ahead of Disneyland and Tokyo Disneyland? Or.. Walt Disney Studios Paris ahead of California Adventures? Really?

My top three rankings would be:
    1) Tokyo DisneySea, simply because Disney does not get any better than this. The park is so well executed in so many levels, it has to be seen to be believed.
    2) Disneyland CA, only because of the attraction line up and intimate charm that has not been duplicated at any other Disneyland style park.
    3) Tokyo Disneyland, because it is the classic Magic Kingdom park done the RIGHT way, and also for being the best staffed, for offering the most restaurants and food variety, performing the most amazing parades and live shows of any Disneyland park, and most importantly, for being the CLEANEST Disneyland-style park on Earth.

In regards to Walt Disney Studios Paris, versus California Adventures.. even without CarsLand or Buena Vista Street, California Adventures was three times a better park thematically than Disney Studios Paris will ever be. That studios park in France is simply the WORST park ever built by the Disney Company.

If I were you, I'd take yet another trip in 2013 and re-rank. LOL.

---------- Post added 11-17-2012 at 02:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    I really want to read more rankings of folks who've been to all 11 parks.
    Ok, I am game for this request, but will not include the Disney Cruise Line, nor any particular Disney resort hotel outside of Japan because I find them inferior to other brands.

My ranking of the 11 parks would be:

1) Tokyo DisneySea
    2) Disneyland CA
    3) Tokyo Disneyland
    4) Disneyland Paris
    5) Magic Kingdom
    6) EPCOT
    7) Hong Kong Disneyland
    8) Animal Kingdom
    9) California Adventures (would place it higher but have not visited since last year before the new Carsland and Buena Vista Street)
    10) Disney's Hollywood Studios (WDW)
    11) Walt Disney Studios Paris

Shanghai Disneyland is pending...
    Last edited by Aotphks; 11-16-2012 at 11:43 PM.

I've been to all eleven parks within the past five years. Here is my unscientific ranking.

1. TDS
    2. DL
    3. DLP
    4. TDL
    5. DCA
    6. Epcot
    7. MK
    8. DAK
    9. HKDL
    10. DHS
    11. WDS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast