Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: [Marvel Land] might debut on or before 2017

Tom Staggs basically said yesterday Marvel Land is not a done deal.

Blue Sky Disney said Tom Staggs wants to have Star Wars Land built at DL, WDW and two international locations. The land will have 3 attractions like Cars Land.

If I read all this correctly, then there are just 4 international locations. Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong and Shanghai. Shanghai seems most unlikely as it hasn't even yet opened, let alone any expansion talks and so far no rumour whatsoever of Star Wars in Shanghai at opening.

Tokyo will debut Star Tours 2 in May and then it is supposed to start work on Cars Land. It would be quite something if they can start on Star Wars Land at the same time.

Paris seems most likely as they have to invest in updating Star Tours anyway, so why not do the whole thing and launch everything together? It is what Disney and more has been talking about for a while also.

That leaves Hong Kong. With Staggs now saying Marvel is not a certainty, it would align with what Blue Sky Disney said if Star Wars Land was to be built here instead.

• Watch Your Language

香港迪士尼樂園公布,新園區「迷離莊園」將於下月中開幕,首輪擴建的三個園區全部完成。華特迪士尼樂園與度 假區主席湯世德強調,將繼續投資擴展樂園,興建第三間酒店的方案即將出爐,港府早前宣布增建的Marvel 漫畫主題園區,計劃則處起步階段。

source : 港迪士尼獨œ‰迷›ŽŠœ’‹œˆ*–‹•

Tom Staggs says Disney will continue to invest in HKDL, details for the third hotel will be released soon and regarding "Marvel Land" it is still in very early stage of the plan.

another article by WSJ http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2...iderman-snafu/

Another day, another snafu by Hong Kong’s government: this time involving Disneyland and the speed with which Iron Man, Spiderman and the X-Men will be descending upon the Fragrant Harbour.

Eager to showcase Hong Kong Disneyland’s growth potential – which only turned a profit last year after seven years in operation – the city’s government jumped the gun when it announced in February that the park would build an area dedicated to Marvel comic book heroes Walt Disney Co. DIS -1.14% now says the plan is not a done deal, at least for now.

The park’s two shareholders have had their share of differences over the scope of the park’s expansion and funding matters. It took them over two years of tough negotiations to agree on a US$500 million expansion project in 2009.

“We haven’t confirmed anything about it as yet,” Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Tom Staggs told The Wall Street Journal on a visit to Hong Kong.
    He noted the city’s government had mentioned the Marvel plans only as part of “potential options” for Hong Kong Disneyland’s expansion.

And in true Disney fashion, the executive offered an upbeat but equally vague comment: “Marvel is a set of properties that we will explore at theme parks and I’m excited to think about that as one of the prospects” for Hong Kong.

Hong Kong finance chief John Tsang seemed far more certain when he unveiled the Disney-Marvel expansion plan in his annual budget address late February. The pressure is on for the city especially as the 2015 opening of Shanghai’s much bigger Disney park looms.

Still, Marvel fans in Asia shouldn’t be overly concerned that an official agreement on the project hasn’t been inked. A person familiar with the discussions between Disney and the government said that the two sides had reached a “senior level agreement” on the expansion even before Mr. Tsang presented the plans.

But there’s little doubt that both parties are keen to see the attraction develop into a broader resort over time with the addition of more hotel, retail, and entertainment options in addition to the theme park.

Last edited by HongKongDisneyland; 04-19-2013 at 01:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asa View Post
    Tokyo will debut Star Tours 2 in May and then it is supposed to start work on Cars Land. It would be quite something if they can start on Star Wars Land at the same time.
    The Oriental Land company however will be spending 1.5 billion on the parks between 2011 (aka I think Toy Story and ST2.0 are part of that) and 2020. I would not rule out Tokyo at all with those aggressive numbers.

But it's true that Staggs might be pushing for HKDL since they are clearly eying the expansion plot north of tomorrowland.

Iron man seemed like such a done deal for Anaheim and HKDL though, I really wonder what caused them to pull back the reins. It's not like the franchise stopped being lucrative...

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLo View Post

Iron man seemed like such a done deal for Anaheim and HKDL though, I really wonder what caused them to pull back the reins. It's not like the franchise stopped being lucrative...
    Not just at Hong Kong Disneyland, but throughout the Disney empire it seems like management can't seem to make up their minds about anything project-wise anymore. Oz, Avatar, Marvel, Tron, Star Wars, Pixar, they've all been proposed for every park out there as the next big project, until a few months pass and all the rumors suggest they're looking at doing something else entirely.

I really don't think they know what to do with themselves anymore.
    Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.
    Tokyo Disneyland: 2009, 2012
    Disneyland Paris: 2010
    Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
    Universal Orlando: 2007, 2010 (twice!)
    Efteling:2011
    Lotte World: 2012

• Resident of the Caldera

Yes, Marvel Island at Islands of Adventure is total crap except for the Spiderman ride.

I think we can expect WDI to come up with some amazing things for a Marvel Land. And they can't afford to go cheap, either. It will be on the level of Carsland. Timmy (x3) is just a pessimist.
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post

I think we can expect WDI to come up with some amazing things for a Marvel Land. And they can't afford to go cheap, either. It will be on the level of Carsland. Timmy (x3) is just a pessimist.
    Agreed. Whatever form it takes, it has to be an exemplar of what WDI is capable of.

Bob Iger understands the theme park business much better than Michael Eisner did. He knows that quality is more important than anything because you really, really need repeat customers in this business. He is not going to let poorly imagineered attractions appear at the parks.

Whatever HKDL and WDC eventually decide upon, I am confident it will be good quality.

It will be interesting to see if a HKDL Star Wars land would use star tours or go for completely new experiences

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fukai View Post
    Yes, Marvel Island at Islands of Adventure is total crap except for the Spiderman ride.

I think we can expect WDI to come up with some amazing things for a Marvel Land.
    Like Toy Story Land? Not.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Like Toy Story Land? Not.
    How about like Mystic Manor or Grizzly Gulch? A level head acknowledges something's strengths and weaknesses. Yeah, Toy Story Land sucks, everyone knows it. but Grizzly Gulch and Mystic Manor are solid, world-class Disney imagineering at its finest, and if Marvel land (if it even happens) employs the same level of artistry, Hong Kong may jump into third place among Disney resorts worldwide.
    Forget 'Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln,' Samantha Brown is Disney's most sophisticated animatronic.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Does Marvel remind you more of the atmosphere of Toy Story or Mystic Manor and Grizzly Gulch?

Marvel reminds me of a lot of places, things, people and places. It's a wide world with immense complexity, and Disney can take it as far and wide as their imaginations and budgets are willing to go.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jimmay View Post
    Marvel reminds me of a lot of places, things, people and places. It's a wide world with immense complexity, and Disney can take it as far and wide as their imaginations and budgets are willing to go.
    I wish I still had such faith in the Walt Disney Co.

Hysan Place and Hot Toys are doing an Iron Man exhibition, it seems very similar to the one at Innoventions.

The exhibition is from 5 April to 12 May. Afterwards maybe they can move it to HKDL?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Does Marvel remind you more of the atmosphere of Toy Story or Mystic Manor and Grizzly Gulch?
    I think Marvel is like everything else, it can go very cheap to very extravagant. Look at Pixar? They range on every level, from the cheapest, aforementioned TSL to mid level quality dark rides like Buzz, TSMM and MI in DCA to the extravagant like MI in TDR, Nemo in DL (its still a extravagant ride, just a subpar one) and RSR at DCA, the best example of them all.

I don't see why Marvel would be any different? Especially since you can see it at IOA from the carnival Doom ride to the E-ticket Spidrman ride which still one of the best rides done anywhere.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast