• Sock Puppet

Mystiic Manor Tips and Comparison vs Pooh Hunny Hunt

Went on Mystic Manor around five times today and here's my initial thoughts. Great original dark ride with amazing effects, cool story, great AA, though ride is a bit "smaller" and linear than I was expecting. Pre-show formatted similarly to Haunted Mansions elsewhere though no ceiling effects and mainly just projection with AA monkey.

**Tips for new riders - Sit in car 1 or 3 for the best experience as they enter most of the rooms first so the effects are not spoiled. ie) The Chinese room at the end, if you sit in car 2 you essentially miss the entire thing. There's one section in the middle where cars 1/2 go one path where you see three armor animatronics and machine arrow targeted at you, which is better route (there's hiddden mickey on his axe), and cars 3/4 see a single armored animatronic before moving onto new room. Car 4 has one advantage in you're the last one out at the end of ride and the monkey says bye to you.

So ranking cars from best-to-worst I'd say Car 1 (see rooms first, get better path in middle split), Car 3 (see rooms first, worst path in middle), Car 4 (get to see monkey say bye), Car 2 (get better path in middle, though last in chinese room so basically see nothing).

Also wondering for those that have also been on Hunny Hunt how you compare. For me, overall I was more impressed with HH first time I went on, mainly due to the randomness and scale of the ride which I thought was bigger than MM. The final room in HH (huge room compared to anything in MM) where there's like 10 cars all going different directions was awesome and MM never had that type of feel. HH also had jumpy cars which MM did not have.

However, obviously the effects in Mystic Manor were top notch, especially with the AA, pixie dust and Chinese room effect with wall breaking off which is pretty cool. This is by far best ride at HKDL (GG just too slow for my taste) and beats any dark ride in US, but overall wish experience was more consistent across different cars and the scale was just a bit bigger.

Thoughts?

Re: Mystiic Manor Tips and Comparison vs Pooh Hunny Hunt

Quote Originally Posted by magic55 View Post
    Went on Mystic Manor around five times today and here's my initial thoughts. Great original dark ride with amazing effects, cool story, great AA, though ride is a bit "smaller" and linear than I was expecting. Pre-show formatted similarly to Haunted Mansions elsewhere though no ceiling effects and mainly just projection with AA monkey.

**Tips for new riders - Sit in car 1 or 3 for the best experience as they enter most of the rooms first so the effects are not spoiled. ie) The Chinese room at the end, if you sit in car 2 you essentially miss the entire thing. There's one section in the middle where cars 1/2 go one path where you see three armor animatronics and machine arrow targeted at you, which is better route (there's hiddden mickey on his axe), and cars 3/4 see a single armored animatronic before moving onto new room. Car 4 has one advantage in you're the last one out at the end of ride and the monkey says bye to you.

So ranking cars from best-to-worst I'd say Car 1 (see rooms first, get better path in middle split), Car 3 (see rooms first, worst path in middle), Car 4 (get to see monkey say bye), Car 2 (get better path in middle, though last in chinese room so basically see nothing).

Also wondering for those that have also been on Hunny Hunt how you compare. For me, overall I was more impressed with HH first time I went on, mainly due to the randomness and scale of the ride which I thought was bigger than MM. The final room in HH (huge room compared to anything in MM) where there's like 10 cars all going different directions was awesome and MM never had that type of feel. HH also had jumpy cars which MM did not have.

However, obviously the effects in Mystic Manor were top notch, especially with the AA, pixie dust and Chinese room effect with wall breaking off which is pretty cool. This is by far best ride at HKDL (GG just too slow for my taste) and beats any dark ride in US, but overall wish experience was more consistent across different cars and the scale was just a bit bigger.

Thoughts?
    Thanks for the tips and the review. Your tip on car selection is in accordance with other members on the forum have suggested. I think they are very helpful because it does seems quite a bit let down for some car to see pretty much nothing on the final scene. I think that is something WDI could improve upon. And I do agree this ride doesn’t seems to fully take advantage on the goodness of trackless system. Didn’t feel too “random” during the course of the ride. But HH is already a legendary attraction in its own right. It is not easy to top that one. Maybe they will improve in the Ratatouille ride.

I like all the effects of the ride but a bit disappointed with the tiki scene. I remembered some sources said there was heat effect come with the lava but now it has been cut. I think the ride can be more randomly travel within all rooms. Like even is we choose a certain car, the route would not be the same as the previous time you have ride on the same car. However I have heard from a Cast Member that worked for the ride system, he said the ride system is already quite complicated now. I think it could happen but hard to be that random as we thought. Hope the Ratatouille ride can work better of its randomness.

I found that there is a sign that saying "the sneak peak review will be different when it is officially opened" at the entrance to the manor.