• Watch Your Language

What's in the pipeline for HKDL?

Source : Sing Tao Daily News (Canada)
    園區擴大兩成半 大型節目接踵來_星島日*_*拿大多倫 多*文新聞網。 Canada Toronto Chinese newspaper

香港迪士尼樂園計畫擴建Marvel園區,與兩年後落成的上海迪士尼樂園正面競爭,但在新遊樂設施落成前, 明年率先推出全新夜間巡遊,後年又有十周年慶典,以製作大型節目吸客。
    香港迪士尼樂園計畫擴建Marvel園區,與兩年後落成的上海迪士尼樂園正面競爭,但在新遊樂設施落成前, 明年率先推出全新夜間巡遊,後年又有十周年慶典,以製作大型節目吸客。
    In order to defend against future competition (such as Shanghai Disneyland), HKDL is planning a series of entertainment events.

Night Time Parade in 2014
    10th Anniversary Major Event in 2015

HKDL plans to expand the park with the addition of Marvel Land to compete against Shanghai Disneyland which is supposed to open 2 years from now.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: What's in the pipeline for HKDL?

It's being reported by the press that HK DL has to worry about competition from SH DL?

Is that even true? I know Disney would never admit it.

• Disneyland 20 year APH

Wait why is there competition between both parks? I would think based on the geography of the parks HKDL would have most of its problems from TDL (I know the language issues would prevent them from competing in the market) but would it be saying here in the states that DL is fighting competition from WDW? Because I thought both are supposed to be supporting each other.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Well, I believe HKDL is unique in that a good chunk of its tourists come from mainland China. The belief is that tourists will go after the bigger and better park in Shanghai.

While the distance between Shanghai and Hong Kong might be comparable to the distance between Anaheim and Orlando, the US Disney Parks are still in the same country. No exactly the same case with Hong Kong, which is part of China, but also not quite the same.

This could either lead to mainland tourists choosing to support their own local, more Chinese theme park, or perhaps Hong Kong itself will likely remain to be THE destination itself, but the value of HKDL itself as a must-see destination may be diminished.

All this depends, of course, on the actual initial impact that SDL has.

• Disneyland 20 year APH

So their is the likely hood of a new attraction slated for HKDL before or after SDL opens? Because putting it after (maybe one seasonal cycle) would enforce the hey we're still here mentality.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

I just got this idea and I wish HKDL would consider it. A Bambi dark ride in Adventureland with some way of honouring Disney Legend Tyrus Wong, a Chinese migrant who was the art director for the classic film.

It would be a fantastic and unique addition to HKDL and it would be great to let more Chinese people know about Tyrus' beautiful artwork.

• Minion

ORDDU: A witch would think that a new dark ride in Fantasyland would work, too, seeing as how popular Winnie the Pooh is. Why not a Peter Pan dark ride--or a Little Mermaid dark ride?

ORWEN: Yeah, there's enough room to build Prince Eric's castle on the other side of the Train tracks of Fantasyland behind Fantasy Gardens. The HKDL guests seem to really like dark rides so I'm surprised there aren't more of those there already!

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: A witch would think that a new dark ride in Fantasyland would work, too, seeing as how popular Winnie the Pooh is. Why not a Peter Pan dark ride--or a Little Mermaid dark ride?

ORWEN: Yeah, there's enough room to build Prince Eric's castle on the other side of the Train tracks of Fantasyland behind Fantasy Gardens. The HKDL guests seem to really like dark rides so I'm surprised there aren't more of those there already!
    It's true, but perhaps they love Pooh more?

I'm not too sure but according to my friend, when she looked for Ariel merchandise, a HKDL CM was surprised she was looking for her because, according to the CM, Ariel isn't very popular among guests.

• Minion

ORWEN: That's interesting, SirEdge, duckling. Come to think of it, there isn't even a meet and greet area set aside for Ariel, either, is there? There seem to be a lot of Disney characters missing in action at HKDL, from what I can tell. I mean, you never see pictures of Mary Poppins over there--or any characters such as Cruella DeVille, Remy, Bernard, Bianca, Peter Pan or Bolt. I guess some characters just fell through the cracks over there. Is Merlin still out? I know he had been at one time. And what about Rapunzel? Is she still around?

Quote Originally Posted by SirEdge View Post
    It's true, but perhaps they love Pooh more?
    Not enough to get Disney to release the 2011 film in theaters here.

Actually, when the park was new (around 2008) rare characters did meet in the parks. I have pictures with Alice and the white rabbit, mushu, baloo, Pinocchio, Mulan, and 4 Disney princesses at once ( Cinderella, belle, Snow White, aurora). I saw pictures of Bolt and Mittens in HKDL! But now all these character greetings have stopped. I haven't seen any of them anymore. Even rapunzel and stitch were missing when I went in May.
    All the meet and greets now are just fab five, WTP, and Toy Story Characters.

• Minion

ORWEN: Doesn't Stitch still have his own show in Tomorrowland? Or was that done away with? As for Baloo and the princesses, I think they're still seen in the current day time parade at least--if not during meet and greets elsewhere in the park.