Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Mystic Point - A Mixed Bag

ORDDU: A witch can understand that point of view, BrianLo, duckling. Thank you for your perspective. I think the reason some of us get hung up on comparing Mystic Manor to the Haunted Mansion is because we had been misled to do that years ago when Imagineers were talking about having a voodoo themed haunted mansion in HKDL's Adventureland. From there the expectations just mushroomed. But you are correct. This new attraction known as Mystic Manor really can't be compared to the Haunted Mansion.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Move along, Move along

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLo View Post
    Just had the opportunity to return to HKDL a few days ago and wanted to provide my perspective since it seems to be a little different than this. I avoided most spoilers so I knew generally what to expect but haven't seen a ride-through. I tried my best to temper my expectations and prepare for [/I][/COLOR]disappointment, but when all was said and done the ride absolutely blew me away.

It is unquestionably better than Pooh (in my opinion - I was at TDL two weeks prior). Pooh is a great attraction but it feels like it is missing a chapter to the ride. While I like the Heffalump room, it is really borderline a bare room with "nothing to look at" once you've gone through the attraction once before.

I think the biggest problem people will have with Mystic Manor is the comparisons to Haunted Mansion. IT IS NOT HAUNTED MANSION!

Nor is it even remotely close to haunted mansion! The similarities start and end with the fact the attraction contains a place of residence (manor/mansion) in the name. Both could happily be built side by side in all honesty and neither would detract from the other. Heck, Pirates is more similar to HM. Really, if the imagineers had called it Mystic Museum, I think people would drop the HM comparisons.

As to the other complaint about it looking too new and shiny. It is NOT HAUNTED MANSION!

The entire conceit of the ride is built in the queue that you are welcomed to a very recently built museum to showcase his collection in the turn of the century. It is not a decrepit house abandoned in the jungle or "haunted". It is a new, fully functional, non-abandoned museum showcasing Henry's collection. Nothing evil has befallen the character as in Tower of Terror at TDS. So there is no reason for the house to look haunted or run down, other than the fact people think it is Haunted Mansion, which it isn't.

It may be my favourite ride Disney has built, certainly in the tops. But I realize opinions are subjective so each will have their favourites.
    I liked the ride much better after going in Car 1. Cars 2-4 just don't sell the ride. Car 1 even goes into more rooms! I would go back and revisit my review and change it in ways to better showcase my experience in Car 1 but I'll do that in my Photo Report coming next week.

My review here is based on what I saw in Cars 3 and 4 (rode twice). The overall experience in these cars was meh. I was pleasantly surprised by my third ride - did not at ALL expect half the ride to be different with a different car. Literally half the ride is different - either going into different/new/additional rooms or not uselessly lingering on one object.

PLEASE READ FOR A BETTER RIDE EXPERIENCE: ALWAYS request to go on Car ONE. Fight if you must. The ride is much better overall. I think I read this somewhere here too a moment ago - each car has a DIFFERENT experience but car 1 has the best one. I can't believe how wrong my review of the ride (not the land) is now.

However my opinion of the land overall still stands. The restaurant serves food that can be found everywhere else in the park and the merchandise (save a couple) is also the same. The land is just TOO small. And not to mention the intrusive Green Parachute...

Quote Originally Posted by HKDLFAN View Post
    PLEASE READ FOR A BETTER RIDE EXPERIENCE: ALWAYS request to go on Car ONE. Fight if you must. The ride is much better overall. I think I read this somewhere here too a moment ago - each car has a DIFFERENT experience but car 1 has the best one. I can't believe how wrong my review of the ride (not the land) is now.
    Ha - and there you go, my first ride was in car one (just by happenstance). I enjoyed car 2 still (I think it still does all the rooms?), but was last to arrive in the Jade monkey room, where a lot of progression happens.

Merch I actually found pretty satisfying. They had about 10 different Mystic manor specific shirts, and I kind of like that they had "procured" some merch from WDW parks, specifically Animal Kingdom and Tower of Terror stuff. That said, I was coming off of Tokyo Disney, whose merch is about as awful as their parks are amazing.

The problem with the expanding the land is the backstory sets up a very specific reason for its size. You couldn't really add a meaty attraction because the land itself is more or less a lead into the attraction. What would be really cool though is if they added a Henry/Albert second attraction somewhere in Adventureland proper where you join them on an adventure to retrieve one of the objects. Likewise I hope the ride is never cloned, but if you were to say head out on a journey to retrieve the Jade Monkey statue in Animal Kingdom, that would expand the already really cool S.E.A. mythology, without taking away from HKDL.

I do wonder if the other members of S.E.A. are earmarked for attractions somewhere in the future, specifically the pilot and the female captain. Perhaps Shanghai's Soarin'?
    Last edited by BrianLo; 07-26-2013 at 11:57 PM.

• Not here to help

Let me just add that it would be awesome if the ride could be more like HM!
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• "What is thy bidding?"

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    Let me just add that it would be awesome if the ride could be more like HM!
    Even more awesome than that would be to add HM to Mystic Point as an additional attraction to plus up the park a little bit more.

• Minion

ORDDU: Perhaps but, then again, it seems that the Hong Government wants more unique attractions in their little park that aren't merely clones from the rest of the parks. In that context, it would seem it's actually a good thing that Mystic Manor is unique to HKDL and that they don't have a Haunted Mansion.

I was thinking BrianLO's point the other day, when I saw a fisheye video of the ride. As I haven't ridden in person, I obviously can't make a final account but....

I always felt there was something slightly off about this ride. I wanted to say it was the best designed ride in modern times but execution wasn't quite there. However, after some more analysis the execution is brilliant. Then I second guessed the design but its also incredibly well designed.

Where I think HKDLFan's views (as well as mine, to an extent) stem from is the fact that the design is fundamentally different. Its a museum, not really a house in anyway. As a journey through a cartoony museum, Mystic Manor very well might be the most brilliant form possible. Mystic Manor is a set of specific moments, each with their own mini story arc that is well crafted.

That said, I think Haunted Mansion is fundamentally more interesting concept to many people. Haunted Mansion and Tower of Terror (TDS) are not well kept museums with artifacts that are perfectly staged to capture your attention in a very specific way. Those two are dirty, dilapidated, unorganized and eerie. Haunted Mansion doesn't tell you what to focus on. None of the artifacts have their own story. But those have a greater sense of discovery.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianLo View Post
    Merch I actually found pretty satisfying. They had about 10 different Mystic manor specific shirts, and I kind of like that they had "procured" some merch from WDW parks, specifically Animal Kingdom and Tower of Terror stuff. That said, I was coming off of Tokyo Disney, whose merch is about as awful as their parks are amazing.
    Off topic, but I couldn't agree with this statement more. I mean is it seriously that difficult to make a shirt that says "Tokyo Disneyland" on it?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    Off topic, but I couldn't agree with this statement more. I mean is it seriously that difficult to make a shirt that says "Tokyo Disneyland" on it?!?
    It would seem that it is. I recently visited TDR and was incredibly disappointed with their merch (at least their attractions and sheer level of awesomeness made up for it).For my two cents on this matter: I agree with HKDLFan's point of view on the land. HKDL in general is badly thought out and executed in terms of placement but what HKDL has in terms of rides and attractions, IMO, is good. Mystic Manor is one example of an amazing ride in a bad placement. It should have been put where grizzly gulch is now. It would have made more sense because you walk out of adventure land into another jungle then move onto the frontier town of grizzly Gulch the onto TSL which I guess has a cowboy in it right?I agree with someone who posted above in that I would love to see Disney expand the story of the S.E.A. Maybe bringing it to the other resorts around the world and to Shanghai.
    Disney Trips:
    Disneyland Resort: Dec 2013
    Tokyo Disney Resort: April 2013, April 2014
    Hong Kong Disneyland Resort: Oct-Nov 2006, March 2007, April 2008, April 2009, March 2010, Oct 2011, May 2012, Oct-Nov 2012, May 2013...
    Favorite Rides:
    1) Mystic Manor(HKDL)
    2) Tower of Terror (TDS)
    3) Soarin Over California (DCA)
    4) Splash Mountain (TDL)
    5) Haunted Mansion (TDL, DL)

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Goofy View Post
    Even more awesome than that would be to add HM to Mystic Point as an additional attraction to plus up the park a little bit more.
    I think Enchanted Tiki Room would be a more appropriate addition to Mystic Point
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I agree with you, MickeyHKP, duckling! Mystic Manor would have been better placed where Grizzly Gulch is--making for a much more logical flow. It retains a sense of being in Adventureland and shouldn't have a Frontierland break coming between it. Sometimes it's difficult to fathom what those Imagineers were thinking...

Sorry my quotation function seems to be on the fritz but just wanted to address a few points.

I think what people are missing from MM is an outside. You never really leave the confines of the museum within the ride, so you really lack any sense of grandeur that you get from rides like Pirates and HM. No ship battle/fort battle or huge graveyard full of ghosts and ghouls. It’s not really a problem based on the storyline though, but I get how lacking a massive show scene could be disappointing. That said I did not feel coming off the ride it was short. So a big room like that would have required a lot of lingering by the vehicles and I think actually messed up the pacing overall more than helped improve the ride.

I do agree though that the layout is a little weird. Perhaps some sort of access to Adventure land through a third path may have helped.

As for why they placed things the way they did? I think Grizzly Gulch makes more sense in a future expansion (and therefore needs the remaining expansion plot). Sure it feels bigger, but it’s ultimately landscaping and a ride with a bigger footprint that you actually see. Mystic Point has a sizeable restaurant and much better retail than GG (which is mostly carts). It does still have the pseudo connection to adventureland even if you have to go on an adventure to travel between the two of them.

I can only imagine somewhere down the line a water based flume or raft ride will be tied into Grizzly Gulch.

Finally on a completely different note, what are they building in the space (south?) of tomorrowland and to the right of the front gate? I could see cranes and construction equipment when walking along the front pathway from the MTR Disney station towards the park.

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: Perhaps but, then again, it seems that the Hong Government wants more unique attractions in their little park that aren't merely clones from the rest of the parks. In that context, it would seem it's actually a good thing that Mystic Manor is unique to HKDL and that they don't have a Haunted Mansion.
    Grizzly is just another Big Thunder Mountain... really, and Toy Story was already built in Paris plus Shanghai is getting it. ...not much unique for those HK Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    Grizzly is just another Big Thunder Mountain... really, and Toy Story was already built in Paris plus Shanghai is getting it. ...not much unique for those HK Dollars
    If you go on HKDL's website you notice that all three additions featured on the front page say either "World Exclusive" or "Asia Exclusive" so its definitely important to HK management.

I've been deleting and rewriting my replies to this thread, but never getting around to post them, but first a big, hearty, welcome back to HKDLFAN!

I haven't been to MM yet, and was limited to just gawking from the gates near GG last April.

However, I do agree there there's bound to be something disappointing about MM for die-hard Disney enthusiasts who are also HKDL loyalists.

I suppose it's the lack of a human-centric attraction that has the scale of being transported somewhere else. As BrianLo pointed out, it could be because the lack of an outside area that would have given MM the scope that it lacked.

Timmy brings a valid point, that it would be nice if it were more like HM, yet at the same time, it's not the HM, and it's not supposed to be.

I think it's because that HKDL needs both to feel unique, and yet be the same, especially for us who live in the area, and know what a Disney park is "supposed to be."

HKDL lacks that grand, and epic, story-driven attraction that is filled with human (dead, pirate-y, or otherwise) characters, and MM did not fill this lack.

Even if MM, doesn't fill in this demand (which may be limited to the minds of Disney enthusiasts), I believe this does not diminish the achievement of MM.

I don't know what to expect to feel when I actually ride it later this year, but right now my anticipation has been swinging wildly from expecting to be disappointed to being totally hyped. It's pretty much the same thing I felt with BGM, which was initially a tad disappointing, but once I rode it multiple times from different cars (first or last cars!), quickly became my favorite ride in HKDL.

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    If you go on HKDL's website you notice that all three additions featured on the front page say either "World Exclusive" or "Asia Exclusive" so its definitely important to HK management.
    If I look at that website I can believe the park is huge and has many rides.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast