Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: year you think you'll go

Hi all. Just finishing a 6 day trip in HK. It's my 6th trip since it opened and yes it keeps getting better. The new additions are great and Mystic Manor is far more impressive in person - seriously fantastic. Nice to see the park getting ready for Halloween too. I'll write up a review although I'm better at photos so will post something soon. BarryB.
    Long Time No Speak!! In its day http://www.barrybedford.com was home to over 90 minutes of video and hundreds of photos of Tokyo, Paris and Hong Kong Disney Resorts. I'm older now but still love all things Disney and lucky enough to still travel them all. Just don't have the same time to record, edit and share my experiences! BB.

I was in the park on Saturday (7 Sep) and I did Mystic Manor twice, first in the first car and the second time in the fourth car. Both times were good fun. My wife said both cars were nice.

We did Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars and it was so smooth and so tame I think anyone, even children (though not infants), should be able to ride it.

Festival of Lion King was as good and as popular as ever. It can run for another 10 years if you ask me.

But for PhilharMagic, I think it is maybe time to update the film to 4K HD, or put on a new show, or something. My 3D glasses didn't even seem to work.

We had lunch at Corner Cafe and the Wagyu Beef Burger was fantastic. The Monsters drinks looked great also, but my wife wasn't too keen to try.

I took two fast passes for us after lunch for Buzz Lightyear, while my wife went to get a name badge for our niece. We got back together for the parade which was colourful and fun.

After the parade, we went to Tomorrowland and drove the outer route of Autopia for the first time and it was quite fun to drive into Tomorrowland near the end of the drive. Then we did Buzz Lightyear with our fastpasses. For the first time my wife beat me at Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters!

We then queued for the 5pm show of Golden Mickeys. I was only watching it for the second time ever. It is good and very entertaining. But I think it is about time they take up a new show. (They are still only on Toy Story 2.)

I was going to take the train back to Main Street but train stopped operation from 5:15pm. Anybody know why?

We just got our Winnie the Pooh fast pass before they closed the machines. But really after riding Pooh's Hunny Hunt in Tokyo, the HK version simply cannot compare. It is hugely popular with mainland Chinese guests, though. Three of them squeezed into the front row of our vehicle. The Dumbo ride was so popular it had a 50 minutes wait time.

We went to Toy Story Land and Andy's Toy Box. The shop only have two types of merchandize, Toy Story and Monsters Inc. My wife loved the three-eyed alien outside the shop. At 7:15pm the shop closed to prepare for fireworks, as was the path linking it with Fantasyland. We had to go all the way round MM, GG and Adventureland to get back to Fantasyland.

We bought three postcards for our relatives in other countries and mailed them at City Hall. The girl there have a box of stamps that we could stamp on the postcards, so the recipient will know that we sent them from HKDL. Since our relatives are all little girls we chose the Minnie stamp. They now have very few postcard choices in the shops and were on sale, $30 for three. I think it is great to send postcards from Disneyland to relatives, spread the joy.

As I said earlier, we also bought a HKDL 8th Anniversary name badge for our niece, who lives in Southern California, at Storybook Shoppe in Fantasyland. They printed her name on it as we ordered and fortunately we did it early enough so we could pick it up at 7:30pm. We will mail it to her and she will be able to wear it when she goes to LA Disneyland.

The park was, to my surprise, very crowded for the first weekend after the school summer holidays. Lots of people were in the park and a lot of them were buying merchandizes left, right and centre. There is simply no way this park is not making $$$$$$$$$$.

The park with its three expansion areas is now much more attractive. It is really worthy of its title as a Disneyland now. Of course more and more attractions are always welcome and we all have our idea about what to add and what not to add. But the park is good for now.

One thing I noticed is that the Adventurers' Club restaurant was not very popular, even at dinner time, empty tables every where. Maybe they need to look at how all the restaurants are performing and I think either we don't really need that many, or some of them are overlapping in terms of offerings. Maybe they can make room for a Starbucks cafe (as in the US parks) and an Italian restaurant. My wife loves pizza and I was surprised there isn't a proper pizza restaurant in the park.

It is also a little strange that the Main Street Cinema is actually a jewelry shop. I would think the themeing would work very well if the jewelry shop was moved to Grizzly Gulch. But then again Main Street is a much better location and there aren't that many store locations available there. I just wish they could somehow make the Main Street Cinema a real cinema and show some classic Disney short films.

(I only took some private photos so you will have to imagine how my day went.)
    Last edited by Asa; 09-08-2013 at 10:25 PM.
    July 1992: Disneyland Paris
    April 2006: Hong Kong Disneyland
    July 2010: Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure
    March 2011: Hong Kong Disneyland
    July 2013: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea
    Sep 2013: Hong Kong Disneyland

• Minion

ORDDU: Thank you for your trip report, Asa, dear. It's good to know that the park is finally attracting more guests due to the expansion. They still need more things for guests to do there, of course, so hopefully some new announcements will come very soon. The next big draw will be the night time parade, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmyTimmyTimmy View Post
    I can do that for you. If it stinks it stinks. It doesnīt matter where it is. ...and I can promise you all that havenīt been, Ocean Park stinks!
    Name:  Ocean_Park_Applause_Award.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  46.4 KB

Liseberg - The Applause Award

You are entitled to your opinion but thank God, not everybody agree with you.
    Last edited by Asa; 09-30-2013 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asa View Post
    I was in the park on Saturday (7 Sep)

But for PhilharMagic, I think it is maybe time to update the film to 4K HD, or put on a new show, or something. My 3D glasses didn't even seem to work.

The park with its three expansion areas is now much more attractive. It is really worthy of its title as a Disneyland now. Of course more and more attractions are always welcome and we all have our idea about what to add and what not to add. But the park is good for now.

It is also a little strange that the Main Street Cinema is actually a jewelry shop. I would think the themeing would work very well if the jewelry shop was moved to Grizzly Gulch. But then again Main Street is a much better location and there aren't that many store locations available there. I just wish they could somehow make the Main Street Cinema a real cinema and show some classic Disney short films.

(I only took some private photos so you will have to imagine how my day went.)
    Agreed on many of your points, especially on these two comments.

Philharmagic is still a crowd-pleaser, largely because of the 4D effects, but the actual 3D has bothered me especially when I don't sit in the middle of the theater.

I feel that the jewelry shop just really ruins the themeing of Main Street, especially the theater. I wish the stores were more specialized, as opposed to just one continuous Disney Store. It actually makes not want to buy anything.

• Minion

ORWEN: Well, bust my broomstick! I had no idea that the shops along Main Street USA at HKDL were just one continuous store!! That really does seem like a big 'cop out' for the designers of this park!!!

Name:  HKDL_Shops_Expansion.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  50.4 KB

Actually there is room behind the shops on both sides to expand them. If they expanded the Emporium towards the left side of main street, then they might be able to move the Jewelry Shop across the street and free up the Main Street Cinema to become a genuine cinema.

Also the Main Street Bakery is small with very little sitting area. One solution is to actually build up the second floor so guests can sip their drinks and munch their cookies on second floor.

• Will return Soon...

I've got to say when i went in August, had a wonderful time, MM and GRM were standouts!

However on the point a few others have mentioned, Philarmagic is appauling, the film at the very least needs replacing it is so dirty and scratched you can barely make out the picture, effectivly ruining the 3D effects.

It's a shame as its such a great 3D attraction! A change to 4K digital would be perfect.

I agree, I wasn't sure at the time if it had something to do with where I was sitting, but the film was noticeably out of focus and the 3D didn't "work" for me. MK/Tokyo versions of the attraction are in much better shape.

Definitely the primary attraction that needs a refurb.

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORWEN: Well, bust my broomstick! I had no idea that the shops along Main Street USA at HKDL were just one continuous store!! That really does seem like a big 'cop out' for the designers of this park!!!
    It is! It's one big complaint that I have, over the lack of of attractions.

Asa points it out well. The left side is just one long Emporium with just different facades.

The addition of the victorian glass monstrosity that people had a fit over in the past few months served as a bridge between the two major stores.

The ones on the right are more specific, including the now closed Duffy house. The Main Street Cinema is not a cinema at all, but a local jewelry store. I think there's still a photography shop near the opera house, which houses the art of animation. But all in all, not much to do on Main Street.

Incidentally, I was wondering whatever happened to Turtle Talk with Crush, which oddly enough was on Main Street in HKDL. I know it's a bad fit, but for a seemingly major attraction, it's a pretty surprising addition, and equally baffling subtraction.

I'd be interested in going to HKDL at some point, but it's definitely the last on my list of international Disney parks to see. Years from now after the Iron Man attraction is open and the crowds have mellowed out from it's addition, I would be down to see the park for sure. Haven't spent time in Hong Kong since I was an early teenager, and so it'd also be cool to see how things have changed in the city since it went back to the Chinese after 1997.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Who didn't go through a Hong Kong phase as a teen?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    Who didn't go through a Hong Kong phase as a teen?
    Hahahaha, always such a wise guy. You crack me up man!

• Banned User

before turning 4K go with 8K HD
    that way they could save some money although 8K is only been tested in Japan and its really expensive.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    Hahahaha, always such a wise guy. You crack me up man!
    Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast