Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hong Kong Disneyland Projects put on HOLD

The new MiceAge article says that, due to the ginormous failure that is MyMagic+, all disney parks projects excluding Tokyo and Shanghai have been put on hold.

Of course this includes HKDL projects. I'm going to infer that the Iron Man Experience was put on hold as well as the 10th anniversary plans. Animazement's fate is the one I'm no so sure about. It could be on hold but considering how close it is to debuting, it's probably not on hold.

I'm not sure if something like this has happened before. Clearly shows how executives don't know a single thing about running a theme park. It's just too bad that resorts that had nothing to do with the project are paying for it.

Thoughts?
    Disney Trips:
    Disneyland Resort: Dec 2013
    Tokyo Disney Resort: April 2013, April 2014
    Hong Kong Disneyland Resort: Oct-Nov 2006, March 2007, April 2008, April 2009, March 2010, Oct 2011, May 2012, Oct-Nov 2012, May 2013...
    Favorite Rides:
    1) Mystic Manor(HKDL)
    2) Tower of Terror (TDS)
    3) Soarin Over California (DCA)
    4) Splash Mountain (TDL)
    5) Haunted Mansion (TDL, DL)

• Iron-Clad Allie

Re: Hong Kong Disneyland Projects put on HOLD

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyHKP View Post
    The new MiceAge article says that, due to the ginormous failure that is MyMagic+, all disney parks projects excluding Tokyo and Shanghai have been put on hold.

Of course this includes HKDL projects. I'm going to infer that the Iron Man Experience was put on hold as well as the 10th anniversary plans. Animazement's fate is the one I'm no so sure about. It could be on hold but considering how close it is to debuting, it's probably not on hold.

I'm not sure if something like this has happened before. Clearly shows how executives don't know a single thing about running a theme park. It's just too bad that resorts that had nothing to do with the project are paying for it.

Thoughts?
    I doubt that all new attraction projects are all put on hold. After all, it is the phenominal success of the DCA revamping that triggered a resurgence in Disney theme park investment in general. Doubt that a premium promotional campaign gone awry will have much impact on the planning and execution of new attractions.

Hong Cong Disneyland is destined to expand into one of the world's most awesome and unique resorts. My excitement for it's future is pretty much equall to that of the upcoming Shanghai Disneyland (also to become a resort).
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Minion

ORGOCH: Well, I'd be glad ta look inside the ol' crystal ball we got here in Morva ta take a look see at what's really gonna happen at the Dizzy theme parks fer the future but, right now, the poor ol' ball's all greasy and slimy from my big fat sister's touchin' it so much with her filthy fingers after scarfin' down too many Krispy Kremes! Thanks a lot, Orwen!!!!

But Iron Man Experience's budget is from HKDL's profits, it does not require new investment from WDC or HK govt. It has also been publicly announced, WDC cannot cancel it without looking really horrendous. They don't look that good here already.

Unless Bob Iger is so desperate to rescue MyMagic+ that he is keeping the profits for that.

If they cancel any HKDL projects because of MyMagic+, then TDO should be FIRED in its entirety!!!
    Jul 1992: Disneyland Paris
    Apr 2006: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2010: Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure
    Mar 2011: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2013: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea
    Sep 2013: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2014: Disney California Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Asa View Post
    But Iron Man Experience's budget is from HKDL's profits, it does not require new investment from WDC or HK govt. It has also been publicly announced, WDC cannot cancel it without looking really horrendous. They don't look that good here already.

Unless Bob Iger is so desperate to rescue MyMagic+ that he is keeping the profits for that.

If they cancel any HKDL projects because of MyMagic+, then TDO should be FIRED in its entirety!!!
    According to the article, HKDL projects should be on hold because all imagineers working on anything but Shanghai were reassigned. It's a 90 day moratorium that might end up getting extended.

Disney should have realized earlier that this plan wasn't going to work. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. This was another cash grabbing move by Disney that finally backfired on them. What's worse is that parks completely uninvolved with the project are taking hits. If Disney wanted to make the guest experience better, they should start with original, imaginative, and quality attractions and experiences. Not put up bath rooms and fastpass lines for rides that don't need them.

Also, since apparently everyone who's not working on Shanghai got reassigned, that would mean Avatarland and Disney Springs imagineers got reassigned too even if they were announced already.
    Disney Trips:
    Disneyland Resort: Dec 2013
    Tokyo Disney Resort: April 2013, April 2014
    Hong Kong Disneyland Resort: Oct-Nov 2006, March 2007, April 2008, April 2009, March 2010, Oct 2011, May 2012, Oct-Nov 2012, May 2013...
    Favorite Rides:
    1) Mystic Manor(HKDL)
    2) Tower of Terror (TDS)
    3) Soarin Over California (DCA)
    4) Splash Mountain (TDL)
    5) Haunted Mansion (TDL, DL)

• Not here to help

I donīt even know what MyMagic+ is. I figure it has to do with the tickets to the different park in WDW to do that nobody but hardcore WDW fans seme to understand anyway.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

If Disney had wanted to make more money out of people, then the easiest way is to adopt Universal's Express Pass system. You want to skip the queue, pay for it. It is so easy to operate and such a no-brainer.

I read on the MiceAge article that MyMagic+ is another Jay Rasulo creation. This guy's head needs to roll.

[Link to unauthorized site removed] put it best, "Remember that time when Lone Ranger failed at the Box Office so Iger cancelled Avengers 2?"

Basically the logic used in the MiceAge article.

I really doubt that projects dealing with Hong Kong would be cancelled or put on hold. The Chinese government has a huge say on what is done to that park since Disney does not have majority ownership on that resort

Quote Originally Posted by Rave View Post
    [Link to unauthorized site removed] put it best, "Remember that time when Lone Ranger failed at the Box Office so Iger cancelled Avengers 2?"

Basically the logic used in the MiceAge article.
    Iger did fire Rich Ross for the failure of John Carter.

So this time he should unleash his firepower on Jay Rasulo.

Yeah, I doubt they'd cancel whatever's been already announced. That'll cause too much bad press instead of good ones.

I'm sort of happy that MyMagic+ is a failure. I haven't been following the news on it, but it sort of felt counter-intuitive to be asked to essentially pay for a free service that has been so widely used by so many of the guests.

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Hong Cong Disneyland is destined to expand into one of the world's most awesome and unique resorts. My excitement for it's future is pretty much equall to that of the upcoming Shanghai Disneyland (also to become a resort).
    I hope is does become a great, impressive park, and resort.
    I hope the same is true of Shanghai, I can't wait to see what the park looks like, and to hear what what they have in store as the second parks for both locations.

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyHKP View Post
    According to the article, HKDL projects should be on hold because all imagineers working on anything but Shanghai were reassigned. It's a 90 day moratorium that might end up getting extended.

Disney should have realized earlier that this plan wasn't going to work. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. This was another cash grabbing move by Disney that finally backfired on them. What's worse is that parks completely uninvolved with the project are taking hits. If Disney wanted to make the guest experience better, they should start with original, imaginative, and quality attractions and experiences. Not put up bath rooms and fastpass lines for rides that don't need them.

Also, since apparently everyone who's not working on Shanghai got reassigned, that would mean Avatarland and Disney Springs imagineers got reassigned too even if they were announced already.
    As many of us suspect, that MiceAge article is HIGHLY questionable. Not only does everything in it regarding MyMagic+ and the emergency meetings with Iger etc seem extremely questionable, I really think it was MiceAge's way of covering up it's own nonsense: all the projects for the Disneyland Resort that will supposedly now be on hold or cancelled are things that only MiceAge started as rumors on this site. It's like MiceAge writers probably realized that some of the purported projects they previously mentioned were never likely to ever happen, so they used MyMagic+ as a reason for them to no longer be happening.

• Minion

ORDDU: But why would the owners of MiceAge put themselves in such a risky position like that? Do you really belive they made up the things they reported just so they could be ridiculed later? I highly doubt it.

ORWEN: People are so overly suspicious these days. They come up with crazy scenarios that are even more unbelievable than the scenario's they accuse others of coming up with.

ORGOCH: Got tin foil hats?

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    As many of us suspect, that MiceAge article is HIGHLY questionable. Not only does everything in it regarding MyMagic+ and the emergency meetings with Iger etc seem extremely questionable, I really think it was MiceAge's way of covering up it's own nonsense: all the projects for the Disneyland Resort that will supposedly now be on hold or cancelled are things that only MiceAge started as rumors on this site. It's like MiceAge writers probably realized that some of the purported projects they previously mentioned were never likely to ever happen, so they used MyMagic+ as a reason for them to no longer be happening.
    I think MiceAge probably report things as true as they are made aware of. But what came out of Disney is not necessarily what will happen. They maybe leaking news and info in order to achieve certain objectives.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast