Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • Minion

HKDL trip report

I spent about a month in Asia and was able to get to Hong Kong for about a week I spent two days at Disneyland. I will start my trip report on it here. Maybe at the end I will also post a couple pictures from Hong Kong in General. I stayed in the hotel called the Panorama as recommended by a fellow mice chatter at the top of this HKDL section. It very nicely located and has access to the MRT station East TST which makes traversing HK pretty easy. We took the MRT to HKDL which was pretty cool as the trains are Disney themed which was a nice touch. I will post pictures in groups by the lands. So This first report will cover the entrance plaza and Main Street.

My first initial thoughts of the entrance was it was a little vacant but cool at the same time. The fountain area is definitely nice. My overall thoughts of the park were it is nice but has some work to do. The park feels so corporate and cut and pasted. Until you get into the three new areas. You can tell they spent money on the new additions and panned them out nicely. I will add comments about how I felt each land felt to me as I post pictures from them. Now here are some picture of the entry plaza area and Main Street USA

Here is one of the MRT trains leaving the station with the Mickey window

Got my tickets time to go in!!!!!

A little refurb going on for the right side of Main Street

That's it for now I will post Adventureland pictures sometime in the next week. Enjoy!

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

Re: HKDL trip report

Wonderful photos! Thanks!
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 000 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

• Minion

ORDDU: Thank you so much for letting us see your photos of HKDL Biggsworth, duckling. It was almost like being there with you. I know some people have complained that HKDL is too much of a Disneyland clone. But when you stop to think about it, most of the people in Hong Kong or China will never get to see what the original Disneyland is like. So having a park that's so close to the original isn't such a bad thing, really.

ORWEN: Besides that, there are still some unique things in HKDL--like Mystic Manor. So it's like having the best of both worlds. When Iron Man opens they'll have something else that's unique.

ORGOCH: Got more pics?

•   
    • Minion

^^^^ There will be more photos stay tuned!

Christmas looks a little sparse at HKDL this year.

Thanks for the trip report! I'd love to hear more details of what you thought of the new lands.

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

Thanks for posting the trip report. I was in Hong Kong a few year ago and never go to the place. Although I did pass by the stop for it while riding the train! Looking forward to more pictures.

•   
    • Minion

Ok I forgot to include my thoughts on Main Street. I thought it was a good Main Street. You have the bricks on the road which I think is a cool look. The outside of the buildings look nice even with the right side being refurbished. The insides of the stores I feel could be re-worked though. To me there isn't a lot of different options when it comes to shopping. One thing that is really missing for me was a art store or collectible store. Perhaps those just aren't big in Asia but I would think there would be. The lacking of pins and vinylmations also surprised me.

I do think Main Street is solid but could use more items probably and maybe even a sit down restaurant. Also the spot where Great moments with Mr Lincoln to me is very under utilized currently. It's a mediocre attempt at a animation academy. Seems like they could do more in this location of Main Street.

Now onto Adventureland. To me this land is huge with almost nothing in it. It looks nice but all the space it takes up really doesn't pay off IMO. First up is the River Jungle cruise. I enjoyed this although I feel Anaheims is the best I have been on so far. I rode the English version and the skipper really tried to be energetic and funny but didn't get much response from the boat. I did enjoy the end of the ride.

Next up is Tarzan's Treehouse. To get there you have to ride a river raft like we do here in Anaheim to get to TSI. I didn't mind that Tarzan's Treehouse was on the island but there needed to be more on the Island than just that. You wait in line to board the raft. Ride it over to the tree house then you have to wait in line to go back. Kind of a waste of time to me. I would have liked at least a fort or something on the other side. Not sure. It does look cool though having the rafts and Jungle cruise intertwined.

Fesitval of the lion King was gret show I enjoyed it a lot. I never seen it in WDW but I assume it's more or less the same. The Liki Tikis are funny and they look cool. Other than that Adventureland is pretty vacant. Here are my Adventureland photos.

Great photos. It is true that they can do more on Main Street. But if you talk about sit-down restaurants, there are the Plaza Inn (Chinese) and Main Street Corner Cafe. There is also the Main Street Bakery for tea and coffee.

Adventureland really can do with one more ride. Indiana Jones is expensive I know, but they have to add something. The current list of attractions is really inadequate.
    July 1992: Disneyland Paris
    April 2006: Hong Kong Disneyland
    July 2010: Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure
    March 2011: Hong Kong Disneyland
    July 2013: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea
    Sep 2013: Hong Kong Disneyland

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Asa View Post
    Great photos. It is true that they can do more on Main Street. But if you talk about sit-down restaurants, there are the Plaza Inn (Chinese) and Main Street Corner Cafe. There is also the Main Street Bakery for tea and coffee.

Adventureland really can do with one more ride. Indiana Jones is expensive I know, but they have to add something. The current list of attractions is really inadequate.

Adventureland definetely needs something. The park as a whole could use a water attraction as well. I haven't posted my FL pix yet but I felt that area is kind of vacant as well when it comes to attractions. especially behind the castle. I am not sure why they wouldn't put in Peter Pan, Snow White, or something besides just Winnie the Pooh even an exclusive dark ride would have been nice. It;s just so funny to me to see the Anahiem version squeeze so much into so little and also how much it pays off for the overall experience. That's alwys been my gripe with WdW they have all that space but it's not as utilized as Walt's version!

• Minion

ORWEN: Hopefully they will eventually fill in all the empty spaces. They sure do need more attractions in every single land. The thing I wanna' know is how long it will take them to do it. They seem to move at a snail's pace when it comes to adding things.

•   
    • Minion

Ok so I have covered the entrance plaza, main street, and Adventureland, let's move onto Fantasyland. I don't know where to start with this land. To me it's a disappointment all the way around. It's very big in space but lacking in original ideas. In fact every attraction can be found elsewhere. I am ok with clones but this land just didn't sit right with me. So much open space. They could use some dark rides. They have Winnie the pooh which I enjoyed but that's it. Over by the train there is a nice looking grass area but it feels so empty. The garden area where they have meet and greets feels so random and having IASM off by itself is very odd to me. The biggest WTF to me though is the lack of the dark rides or storybook type attractions. Anyways here are my FL pics

•   
    • Minion

Ok time for TL the last of the original lands. Well this land was better than FL IMO. They crammed a lot in a small space. I think it worked out for them ow all the attractions are pretty much cut and pasted from other parks except for Stitch encounter. Over all I liked the area but it could use another original attraction. I guess Iron Man will fill that void although it's based off an existing ride system.

Loving your Trip/Photo Report, thanks so much for sharing it with us!

We are making our way to HKDL at the end of February, and have 3days there. A long time I know, but we want to make a leisurely tour of the Park, experience everything as much as we can, as we probably won't be back for a long time, and to have a relaxing Disney Park visit as much as we can, soaking in the details, atmosphere, dining and differences.

I'm very excited to visit, and your photo's have given me inspiration!
    Thanks again!
    First visit to a Disney Park was to Tokyo Disneyland in Oct, 2005. I was hooked! Was so blessed to visit Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea in 2009, the original Disneyland and California Adventure in 2010, Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea in 2011, and an incredible 5 night stay at Disneyland Paris in February 2013.

•   
    • Minion

^^ Thanks. I still have the other three lands to upload so stay tuned. I'll include a couple from around the city. I spent two full days in the park. I could have spent three easy. I love being at Disney parks and like you said i probably won't get back to HKDL for a long time so might as well take it all in.

•   
    • Minion

Next up is Grizzly Gulch. I really liked this are although it could use more than one official attraction I think. There is a lot to do in the are but it could use a spinner or dark ride of some sort maybe a water ride which the park is missing. It's definitely a good addition to the park though. Enjoy!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast