Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• i heart plunging v-necks

Re: Help/Advice for a First Time 1 Day Visitor

Oh, I meant to say the Entertainment Expo

Quote Originally Posted by malice View Post
    What is the park like on Fridays? How are the crowd levels? I will be in Hong Kong next week but still haven't decided which day I'm going to swing by the park. Asia World Expo and Rugby 7s are occurring simultaneously and I presume the city will be more packed with tourists than usual.
    5 Apr is Qing Ming Festival and it is a holiday in both Hong Kong and China. Some people may make a long weekend out of it and every time there is a holiday the park is busy. I guess Friday is still okay, but not the weekend or the Monday after.

But if you mean the weekend before (28-30 March) then it should be fine.
    Jul 1992: Disneyland Paris
    Apr 2006: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2010: Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure
    Mar 2011: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2013: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea
    Sep 2013: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2014: Disney California Adventure

So excited to find this thread! Like the OP, I'm a Californian who visits Disneyland a lot. I also grew up in the Deep South, so I spent many of my childhood vacations at Walt Disney World. My husband and I love to meticulously plan our trips to beat the crowds (we love RideMax and always arrive at rope drop so we can hit a dozen rides in the first hour with no lines). But I've been so frustrated in trying to research HKDL, as there is just NO info out there for English speakers, particularly American visitors. This has been a very good start. Nice to know that lines aren't so bad for most attractions and to know how to strategically hit the few where lines do get long.

We are visiting HKDL in mid-May (May 13-17) with our 5 year old daughter who is a big Disney fan. We spend our first night near the Convention Center, then move to the Disneyland Hotel for three additional nights. We plan to spend at least a day and a half (maybe 2) in the park and use the rest of the time to explore HK.

A few additional questions for you experts:

1. How important is it to arrive at opening time, particularly on a week day? We arrive on Tuesday night May 13 (staying near Convention Center), and are wondering if we want to push ourselves (jetlag or not) to make the trek out to HKDL Wednesday morning (5/14) as soon as it opens. If we arrive a few hours after opening time, how bad will lines be? Alternatively, we could explore Central HK that day and then move to Lantau that evening, spending our first day in the park on Thursday.

2. When is the best time to partake in a character meal? Again, if it is important to arrive early into the park, we may not want to do breakfast at our hotel on a park day. Are there other character meals at other times or locations that you'd recommend? Do we need to make advance reservations or can we book when we get to our hotel?

3. This may seem like a crazy question, but if any of you have young daughters, maybe not: does HKDL have Frozen characters for meet and greet? All of our friends are hitting Anaheim and Orlando right now for spring break, and waiting up to 5 hours to meet Anna & Elsa. If we can find a shorter line in Hong Kong, it will make the 14 hour plane flight well worth it! ;-)

Thank you for your expertise!

Quote Originally Posted by LesBesTes View Post
    So excited to find this thread! Like the OP, I'm a Californian who visits Disneyland a lot. I also grew up in the Deep South, so I spent many of my childhood vacations at Walt Disney World. My husband and I love to meticulously plan our trips to beat the crowds (we love RideMax and always arrive at rope drop so we can hit a dozen rides in the first hour with no lines). But I've been so frustrated in trying to research HKDL, as there is just NO info out there for English speakers, particularly American visitors. This has been a very good start. Nice to know that lines aren't so bad for most attractions and to know how to strategically hit the few where lines do get long.

We are visiting HKDL in mid-May (May 13-17) with our 5 year old daughter who is a big Disney fan. We spend our first night near the Convention Center, then move to the Disneyland Hotel for three additional nights. We plan to spend at least a day and a half (maybe 2) in the park and use the rest of the time to explore HK.

A few additional questions for you experts:

1. How important is it to arrive at opening time, particularly on a week day? We arrive on Tuesday night May 13 (staying near Convention Center), and are wondering if we want to push ourselves (jetlag or not) to make the trek out to HKDL Wednesday morning (5/14) as soon as it opens. If we arrive a few hours after opening time, how bad will lines be? Alternatively, we could explore Central HK that day and then move to Lantau that evening, spending our first day in the park on Thursday.

2. When is the best time to partake in a character meal? Again, if it is important to arrive early into the park, we may not want to do breakfast at our hotel on a park day. Are there other character meals at other times or locations that you'd recommend? Do we need to make advance reservations or can we book when we get to our hotel?

3. This may seem like a crazy question, but if any of you have young daughters, maybe not: does HKDL have Frozen characters for meet and greet? All of our friends are hitting Anaheim and Orlando right now for spring break, and waiting up to 5 hours to meet Anna & Elsa. If we can find a shorter line in Hong Kong, it will make the 14 hour plane flight well worth it! ;-)

Thank you for your expertise!
    1) May is one of the slowest times of the year. Unless you really want to maximize your day, arriving after opening is fine. Lines won't be particularly bad, except for Autopia and TMAoWTP (both of wish you can skip if you've done them in WDW or DL) and the TSL rides (which are basically carnival rides although I personally love RC Racer and the Toy Solder parachute drop).

2) I remember there being a character breakfast at the Plaza Inn, although they may have discontinued that. The Enchanted Garden Restaurant at the HKDL hotel has a good character breakfast but only the fab five plus Daisy appear. The Star Guest Program is running right now and there may be special character dining experiences but I am not entirely sure.

3) to my knowledge Elsa and Anna do not meet and greet at HKDL.

hope you have an amazing vacation!!!
    Disney Trips:
    Disneyland Resort: Dec 2013
    Tokyo Disney Resort: April 2013, April 2014
    Hong Kong Disneyland Resort: Oct-Nov 2006, March 2007, April 2008, April 2009, March 2010, Oct 2011, May 2012, Oct-Nov 2012, May 2013...
    Favorite Rides:
    1) Mystic Manor(HKDL)
    2) Tower of Terror (TDS)
    3) Soarin Over California (DCA)
    4) Splash Mountain (TDL)
    5) Haunted Mansion (TDL, DL)

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyHKP View Post
    1) May is one of the slowest times of the year. Unless you really want to maximize your day, arriving after opening is fine. Lines won't be particularly bad, except for Autopia and TMAoWTP (both of wish you can skip if you've done them in WDW or DL) and the TSL rides (which are basically carnival rides although I personally love RC Racer and the Toy Solder parachute drop).

2) I remember there being a character breakfast at the Plaza Inn, although they may have discontinued that. The Enchanted Garden Restaurant at the HKDL hotel has a good character breakfast but only the fab five plus Daisy appear. The Star Guest Program is running right now and there may be special character dining experiences but I am not entirely sure.

3) to my knowledge Elsa and Anna do not meet and greet at HKDL.

hope you have an amazing vacation!!!
    Thanks so much for the info. And glad to hear May is slow. That will really help us maximize the hours we have the park. Bummer that Anna and Elsa aren't there, but maybe that will change in coming weeks as the movie is just so popular everywhere.

• Not here to help

To be honest I can't understand how people can worry about time in HKDL. There are no lines to talk about 90% of the time. If one looks at the parkmap online it becomes very obvious that the park is still lacking many of key features that a Disneyland should have. If they add 2-3 rides we can start calling this place a real Disneyland and not the "Smallest Place On Earth". HKDL is a ONE day park.

• Minion

ORDDU: I see how you are, Timmy. You only like things that are BIG!

• Not here to help

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: I see how you are, Timmy. You only like things that are BIG!
    I like it good!
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Minion

ORDDU: Then you really should move to Morva. Things are always good here--as well as Big!

ORGOCH: Oh, fer Pete's Dragon's sake! Git a life, sister!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12