Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Tour Ready

Help/Advice for a First Time 1 Day Visitor

Hi HKDL experts! I'm hoping you might be able to provide some insight on how to make the most of my 1 day at HKDL. The original Disneyland is my home park and I'm curious as to what rides I should hit first, which ones have fastpass, and what a weekday is like in early April. I hope to see Mystic Manor, Grizzly Mtn, Space Mountain and the Jungle Cruise. Any recommendations for must see attractions/experiences? And dining recommendations?

Thanks for your help!

• Not here to help

Re: Help/Advice for a First Time 1 Day Visitor

You don't have to worry about fastpasses in HKDL. Just grabb any you walk by. If you stay at the park the full day you will be able to do most the rides and shows in the park.

The rides with the longest waits are Pooh and Dumbo. Autopia tends to get long lines as well.

I try to do the slow rides first. Makes it more fun to go on the coasters.

Just enjoy the park in your pace. A weekday is to prefer.

The rides you mentioned are the best ones. But don't miss the Lion King show and the parade.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

Hope you will enjoy the day in HKDL.
    FYI Rides with fast passes:
    The many adventures of Winne the Pool (the longest queue in the park)
    The space mountain (lines are usually short)
    Buzz lightyear Astro blasters

Rides with single player lines are likely available in the Toy Story Lands. Wait time usually less than 10mins, if you are not entering the park in a group, you may consider this. You can meet disney charaters in each lands and also in the fantasy gardens. (The normal waiting time for photo taking is about 20-30mins expect meeting with Mickey and Minnie in the gazebo in Main Street.

Musicals like the Golden Mickey (theatre located near It's a small world) and festival of the lion King, are also worthseeing. And so does the Mickey's pilharMagic (a 3D animation) in my point of view.

•   
    • Minion

If you only get one day I would say make sure you get a couple rides on Mystic manor it;s awesome and check out the attraction at night. Same with Grizzly Gulch. Also the specialty drink at the restaurant next to Big Grizzly Mountain is yummy. It has popping bobas in it! In toy story land I actually enjoyed the parachute drop if the line is short try it out. Most the attractions in the original park are sort of copy and pasted from MK and DL so pick which ones to try out if for some reason it;s too crowded to fit everything in. I am guessing since it will be a weekday you will be able to get on everything.

Just to mention, Buzz Lightyear Fastpass is temporarily closed due to the construction of Iron Man ride.

Must see:
    Mystic Manor (both day & night)
    Grizzly Mountain mine train (ride both day & night)
    Toy Story Land (lame, but still unique to HK and Paris. I found that it looks cute for me)
    Jungle Cruise (word's best with unique finale)
    Flight of Fantasy parade (fun, with show stop)
    Disney in the Star fireworks (smaller shells and short, but the music syncs perfectly to the pyrotechnics unlike in DL or MK. I think that HKDL fireworks is more likely styled at Illuminations at Epcot)
    Lion King show (only at HKDL and Disney Cruise)
    The Golden Mickey show (same as above)
    Mickey PhilharMagic 3D show (similar to MK but great)
    Space Mountain (still a cool ride with short queue)
    Autopia (New & different mood in the State)

HKDL is small but still a magic kingdom. As a Disney fan, I can still spend multiple day here so I hope you will love HKDL. Be sure to ride Mystic Manor and Big Grizzly Mountain multiple times.

Visit my pages (Nikkoap92) for lots of pictures from Tokyo Disney Resort ^_^

Facebook
    Instagram
    Flickr
    Youtube

Quote Originally Posted by WDI33 View Post
    And dining recommendations?
    I have only dined at two places but both are great. Main Street Corner Cafe (table service) and Royal Banquet Hall (self-service).

MSCC is popular especially at night because in the glasshouse you can see the fireworks. Be sure to book if you want to do that.
    Jul 1992: Disneyland Paris
    Apr 2006: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2010: Disneyland and Disney's California Adventure
    Mar 2011: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2013: Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea
    Sep 2013: Hong Kong Disneyland
    Jul 2014: Disney California Adventure

• Not here to help

Plaza Inn has good food.

and I just have to add... Philharmagic is really really dated. Most people get better 3D on their TV at home. For good 3D by Disney... watch "Get A Horse", MUCH better.

The fireworks are really really small when compared to the parks in USA.

But watch those 2 anyway...
    Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 03-11-2014 at 10:49 PM.
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

Plaza Inn is a table service restaurant. Its exterior is Victorian but inside, it is themed Chinese and serve good Cantonese food, but it is just as same as other Chinese restaurant in Hong Kong.

Main street Corner Cafe is now hosted by Coca cola so it is slightly better than before.

Or you can try the new counter service restaurant at Mystic Point

That's all we have in Hong Kong Disneyland

Since the park is closed pretty early, we usually go to Disneyland hotel for the buffet.

Facebook
    Instagram
    Flickr
    Youtube

1. Since the castle is facing the east, you'll easily get overexposed pictures in the afternoon.

2. I usually watch the parade near the Golden Mickeys. Less crowded and you get more shades.

3. English subtitles of the Golden Mickeys are shown on rhs front of the theatre.

4. The Grizzly Gulch Welcome Wagon show is quite nice. You can ask a cast member for show times.

5. A couple of F&B locations I will recommend:
    Table service
    - Main Street Corner Cafe
    - Plaza Inn
    Counter service
    - Royal Banquet Hall
    - Explorer's Club Restaurant- Lucky Nugget Saloon
    Food kiosks
    - Small World Ice cream
    - Jessie's Snack Roundup

DON'T EAT AT THE COMET CAFE IN TOMORROWLAND. It sucks.

6. Expect pushy crowds from mainland China. They just love to touch strangers and jump the queue.

7. The shops at Main Street get insanely crowded at night. I suggest doing the shopping in the afternoon.
    1998: Tokyo Disneyland
    2001: Tokyo Disneyland & Tokyo DisneySea
    2003: Disneyland Paris
    2005-2014: Hong Kong Disneyland
    2007: Tokyo DisneySea
    2010: Disneyland & Disney California Adventure

• Tour Ready

Thank you for all of the amazing information! There really isn't a lot of info out there for those of us in the US, so this is all extremely helpful! I will definitely let all of you know how my visit went! I'm so excited to see HKDL!

I just returned from Asia. Like yourself, DLR is my home park. In fact I was a cast member during college and I still live in Anaheim. I did both Tokyo and Hong Kong Disneyland this trip.

I did HKDL on a Tuesday; arrived from Macau in the morning, metro to Disneyland, cab to the airport in the evening. This was my second trip. I spent two days there and stayed at the Hollywood Hotel in 2007. Unlike Tokyo, which opens everything no matter what (to put things in perspective we arrived the week of the largest snowfall in Tokyo in 45 years and every ice cream cart was open even though no one was buying ice cream) Hong Kong closes half their restaurants on weekdays and many of the ODV carts as well. Only one popcorn cart was open in the entire park and it was regular buttered popcorn so I didn't get to try any of the flavored popcorns. Many of the ODV carts had things like curry fish balls, dried pressed squid, and Korean fish cake so if you are adventurous you can try some unique items. I also loved the fresh tropical juices the ODV carts had all over the park. I'm sure it wasn't anything special to the locals, but fresh watermelon and mango juice is a big treat for a Californian.

Sadly, because it was a weekday, the Mystic Point restaurant was closed. That was the restaurant I wanted to try most. The food service concept at HKDL is to offer food from different regions of Asia (mostly China). There is a bit more western food now than there was during my first trip (my buddy that was teaching in China was with me that trip and after years abroad he was dying for some western food). During my first trip I ate at Starliner Cafe in Tomorrowland (burgers and chicken strip) and it wasn't great although my friend said it was still better than anything he had in mainland China. We also did Plaza Inn. Plaza Inn is one of a couple of locations in HKDL hosted by Maxims which is a company in Hong Kong that sells food in markets, frozen meals, and also runs several restaurants. The closest to a US counterpart I can think of would be Nestlé or PepsiCo. It was a good meal but nothing I couldn't get at one of the many fine Chinese restaurants here in Southern California. Our other meals were at the hotel, but that probably isn't an option for you since you are only doing one day. This trip I had lunch at Tahitian Terrace which is southeast asian food. So things like spices, curry, lamb, etc. I enjoyed it a lot and it was definitely something that wouldn't be easy to find back home. If you're a fan of Indian food you would enjoy it. If you don't like spices like curry then you probably wouldn't like it. For dinner, I ate at Corner Cafe. This was high on our list of places to try during the last trip. Very good service and good food. Slightly pricey since it is table service, but probably your best western food option in the park. Your other western food options are the fried food in Grizzly Gulch (fish and chips, chicken strips) and the international food options at the Royal Banquet Hall (pizza, burgers, Japanese). I think Royal Banquet Hall will be on my list of places to try on my next trip. Hopefully it is better than Starliner Cafe.

Lines were pretty much non-existent on a weekday. The longest line I waited in all day was for Autopia since they were only running one of the three tracks. I didn't do Pooh this trip though. Strangely, it was pretty busy, but it just seemed like no one was really in line for anything besides getting pictures with characters. The 3 new big rides, Mystic Manor, Big Grizzly Mtn, and RC Racer were all walk ons, although that didn't stop some mainland guy from pushing his way to the front of the Mystic Manor queue with his kids. I swear there were like 14 people in line; it was really unnecessary. Speaking of unnecessary, I ended up just keeping each FastPass I got as a souvenir. There were no lines so there really wasn't a point to using FastPass unless you didn't feel like walking through the queue.

Well hope that helps. Feel free to ask more questions

Your review is great. Thank you.

However, you make me feel so bad about HKDL. I can't imagine that half of the restaurants are closed. This is seriously and I've never experienced it in HKDL. I did experiencing that Grizzly Mountain is walk-in.

Facebook
    Instagram
    Flickr
    Youtube

• i heart plunging v-necks

What is the park like on Fridays? How are the crowd levels? I will be in Hong Kong next week but still haven't decided which day I'm going to swing by the park. Asia World Expo and Rugby 7s are occurring simultaneously and I presume the city will be more packed with tourists than usual.

Right now is low season for the park. We don't have spring break here (easter holidays instead). Usually the park restaurants open at 11am. You can check the restaurant opening hours here.

Quote Originally Posted by malice View Post
    What is the park like on Fridays? How are the crowd levels? I will be in Hong Kong next week but still haven't decided which day I'm going to swing by the park. Asia World Expo and Rugby 7s are occurring simultaneously and I presume the city will be more packed with tourists than usual.
    Asia World Expo is a MICE venue not an event. I think Bruno Mars is having two shows there in late March. Definitely need to check out the Rugby 7s. Great atmosphere, especially on the south stand.
    Last edited by iluvHKDL; 03-22-2014 at 09:33 AM.
    1998: Tokyo Disneyland
    2001: Tokyo Disneyland & Tokyo DisneySea
    2003: Disneyland Paris
    2005-2014: Hong Kong Disneyland
    2007: Tokyo DisneySea
    2010: Disneyland & Disney California Adventure

I should mention that all the restaurant closures I mentioned was because it was a weekday in the slow season. I don't see any closures on their schedule this week, so maybe the slow season is ending. If you go back and look at March 4th, the day I went, they closed 3 restaurants and had one only open half the day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast