• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Mickey's Ticket Mistake: Hong Kong Disneyland Is Mobbed

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/03/in...ewanted=1&_r=1

You have to read this article. It is rather infuriating actually.

Some highlights:
    Even the Hong Kong government issued a statement late Thursday calling on Disneyland to improve its ticketing and guest entry procedures.
    Now considering the government owns half the park do they really think this is right? Coming out against your buisness partner? There is no way they didn't know about the ticket policies...they own 51%. I mean come on.

Mainland tour agencies had bought large batches of discounted tickets and brought in busloads of mainlanders to Hong Kong this week.
    This just highlights a social problem Disney has to deal with. They want the mainland buisness but have to deal with the fact that these people get only certain times off in the year, and for most of them its the same time, and they don't have the theme park knowledge of things such as a sold out park.

I really don't think China was ready for a major player like Disney.

Re: Mickey's Ticket Mistake: Hong Kong Disneyland Is Mobbed

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    This just highlights a social problem Disney has to deal with. They want the mainland buisness but have to deal with the fact that these people get only certain times off in the year, and for most of them its the same time, and they don't have the theme park knowledge of things such as a sold out park.
    Where are Disney’s research team and forecasting team?

Disney KNOWS mainland Chinese get only certain time off in the year
    Disney KNOWS there will be many mainland Chinese tourists in the Chinese New Year, and they are very like to go to Hong Kong Disneyland

By common sense, a normal business people will do something in response to such predictable high demand: You can either expand the capacity temporarily (more short-term entertainments / shows in the park), or to have more control on admissions (raises the ticket price on these peak days, or park admission restricted to dated ticket holders only)

If you are going to do business at the other side of the earth, I think you need to get ready for your market.

• Watch Your Language

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/03/in...ewanted=1&_r=1

You have to read this article. It is rather infuriating actually.

Some highlights:

Now considering the government owns half the park do they really think this is right? Coming out against your buisness partner? There is no way they didn't know about the ticket policies...they own 51%. I mean come on.
    HK Government owns 57% of the park, disney owns 43%. Some people called the agreement made in 1999, the "Unfair Treaty", giving Disney a lot of advantages and privileges. Under the term of the agreement, Disney is responsible for managing the park, thus receiving a certain sum as managing fees.

The following is what I have heard or read from various sources (news or TV, radio etc),so don't know if it is true or not:

HK Goverment has informed the management of HKDL well in advance the influx of tourists from Mainland China. HK Government advised them to pay attention for the golden week period and or better to designate 1st-7th Day of the Lunar New Year as Special Days Tickets to avoid chaos. But they didn't listen...so HK Government was very furious.

There is definitely some under-estimation here. They have under-estimated the market potential of 1.3 billion population. As far as the rides/attractions are concerned, the park was under-built.

China is already the 4th biggest economy surpassing UK and it still keeps on rising. Disney really can't just bring the same way of doing business in US to China, they need to adapt.

• @ DENIAL ISLAND

Wish you were here!!! Come on in the water's fine @ Club DENIAL

I can understand the people being upset about not getting in but I think that charging the gates is too much!!! I thought that the asian people in general were more polite than that. They are acting more like us americans.
    aka Sara

One of my children
    isn't pictured,

ABE is still hibernating

• Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by Where's Barbie?
    I can understand the people being upset about not getting in but I think that charging the gates is too much!!! I thought that the asian people in general were more polite than that. They are acting more like us americans.
    When it comes to expressing discontent, nobody is going to be shy.

• @ DENIAL ISLAND

Wish you were here!!! Come on in the water's fine @ Club DENIAL

^ you are so right with that!!
    it's just on my mind more since I watched abc's primetime on "how rude people are becoming". I really miss the kinder and gentler times.
    aka Sara

One of my children
    isn't pictured,

ABE is still hibernating

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongDisneyland
    HK Government owns 57% of the park, disney owns 43%. Some people called the agreement made in 1999, the "Unfair Treaty", giving Disney a lot of advantages and privileges. Under the term of the agreement, Disney is responsible for managing the park, thus receiving a certain sum as managing fees.
    Okay, Lol, 57%...haha. Still, the Government is at thier own blame if they are not in knowledge of things like the ticket policy. And regardless, to come out and blame them when you are thier buisness partner...no good. Whether you warned them or not. NEVER show a divided team.

• Watch Your Language

Okay, Lol, 57%...haha. Still, the Government is at thier own blame if they are not in knowledge of things like the ticket policy. And regardless, to come out and blame them when you are thier buisness partner...no good. Whether you warned them or not. NEVER show a divided team.
    but it is disney who is managing and running the park, not hk government.
    well...i don't think it is divided team, HK government has been showing great support to Disney.

Both(HK Government and Disney) of them are responsible in this incident.

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongDisneyland
    Both(HK Government and Disney) of them are responsible in this incident.
    ]

Exactly, but the Government had to publicly speak out against Disney. That is what irks me.

• Watch Your Language

]

Exactly, but the Government had to publicly speak out against Disney. That is what irks me.
    HK Government had to speak out, because they were under pressure from representatives from the Legislative Council, various political parties, consumer council etc...