View Poll Results: What should Disney add to Hong Kong Disneyland?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Big attractions found at other parks (POTC etc)

10 41.67%
  • Lands found in other parks (Frontierland; Toon Town etc)

1 4.17%
  • Rides unique to Hong Kong

13 54.17%
  • Unique secondary parks (like DCA; Epcot; DisneySea)

0 0%

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Hong Kong Disneyland Future Attractions

We all know that Autopia is definitely on the cards for the next wave of expansion of HKD. The Phase 1 extension is said to incorporate rides from other parks such as Tokyo's Raging Spirits and old favourites like POTC.

However, coming back to a question I often find myself asking - is Disney overextending their park arms? - I wonder if copying the other parks is the best option for Disneyland Hong Kong.

So my question is, what does everyone think Disney should focus on as their next step in Hong Kong Disney's history?

Discussion would be welcome. Personally, I'm leaning towards 'Rides unique to Hong Kong'. If you really want to draw in the crowds - especially those overseas crowds that have already seen a Disneyland - you need something unique and thrilling.
    Last edited by Loomis; 02-23-2006 at 06:56 PM.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Re: Hong Kong Disneyland Future Attractions

Rides unique to Hong Kong... Hmm is the Hong Kong government gonna cough up the dough or the Walt Disney company. I say any new attractions should come stateside, either simultaneously with their development in an overseas park if they are being developed there, or after is fine. At first glance you'd think "We want new rides here first." But... It's fine with me if Oriental Land Co. wants to pay the development and engineering costs to build an attraction, and then the Walt Disney Co., as the owners of the blueprints, copy / clone / knock off / get inspired etc. and make xeroxes at a lower building cost over here.

• Former Epcot CM

Well I think HKDL is going in the same direction at TDL - not in terms of creativity, but what is being built. When TDL opened, it had major problems until OLC and Disney realised what the Japanese wanted was a symbol of pure Americana, so the best rides from the American parks were incorporated there. DLP was different - Europeans wanted unique rides, different twists on Disney rides. I think HKDL is the same as TDL - the tried and tested, pure American rides.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Rock The World

I feel the Hong Kong park needs to define itself, and establish its own identity a little more. At present, it doesn't really have anything that can't be found in the other Magic Kingdom parks. So what I think it needs is a big, new, original ride to inspire people to visit. Just look at what Space Mountain did for Disneyland Paris!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway
    Well I think HKDL is going in the same direction at TDL - not in terms of creativity, but what is being built. When TDL opened, it had major problems until OLC and Disney realised what the Japanese wanted was a symbol of pure Americana, so the best rides from the American parks were incorporated there. DLP was different - Europeans wanted unique rides, different twists on Disney rides. I think HKDL is the same as TDL - the tried and tested, pure American rides.
    I always thought it was the opposite with Tokyo Disneyland. I mean there was a big Americana feeling, with very few attractions relating to Japan (Eternal Seas, Meet the World). And with Paris, they made some aspects to European and the guests wanted more Americana.

But for HKDL, there is land for expansion and they should use it to build unique and big attractions..

• Minion

ORDDU: In some ways, perhaps Hong Kong Disneyland WILL have some original attractions that are unique to it--depending on how a witch looks at it. For instance, Pirates of the Caribbean will be combined with Splash Mountain features--like a big drop out of a skull out-cropping--or so we've read as a proposed concept.

ORGOCH: Heck!! The dang Jumble Cruise at Ping Pong Dizzyland already seems like a cross 'tween Dizzyland's Jumble Cruise and the Rivers of America from the OTHER parks.

ORDDU: Indeed! So, in this way--by combining two attractions into one--they can kind of claim to have more with less--or something like that.

ORWEN: I'm confused.

ORGOCH: Wouldn't expect nothin' else outta ya, blubber brains!

Both Pirates Mountain and Haunted Mansion would be VERY different takes on what we have become used to.

Small World, which has been approved but not announced for next year, will be an almost carbon copy of the Anaheim version.

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    Both Pirates Mountain and Haunted Mansion would be VERY different takes on what we have become used to.
    Yes, my understanding was that Haunted Mansion was originally left off due to Chinese customs concerning the respect for the dead. If this was the case - and I can't actually remember where I read that now - then the Hong Kong take on the Haunted Mansion is going to be interesting one way or the other.

Further, Haunted Mansion had also been rumored to be built in Adventureland (or Frontierland, if that is built as well). This may give it a very unique spin on the whole concept. If history is a guide, the exterior of the building will look unique at any rate.

Even if the rides are not completely unique and wholly original, the scenario the Witches of Morva described is ideal: taking an existing concept and tweaking/combining it. The Jungle Cruise/Tarzan's Treehouse/Rivers/Tom Sawyer's Island merging of concepts is not only a novel way of saving space, it gives all four familiar attractions a completely different look at feel (from the photos I've seen on this site, that is).

However, I still think that the Imagineers have a golden opportunity here: new park, new part of the world, chance to design a completely different atmosphere.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

I remember reading a site today that says if Frontierland will get built in Hong Kong Disneyland it will only feature Big Thunder Mountain and The Haunted Mansion. Hopefully if Frontierland gets built it will also have The Shootin' Arcade and The Country Bears Jamboree. The site also said that Peter Pan's Flight and It's A Small World will open in 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by stitch101
    I remember reading a site today that says if Frontierland will get built in Hong Kong Disneyland it will only feature Big Thunder Mountain and The Haunted Mansion. Hopefully if Frontierland gets built it will also have The Shootin' Arcade and The Country Bears Jamboree. The site also said that Peter Pan's Flight and It's A Small World will open in 2007.
    Also, according to some sources, due to the small size of the park, this Frontierland may be the first major land in any Magic Kingdom park to be outside the perimeter railroad track.

As far as Haunted Mansion goes, it is rumoured to either be in Frontierland (if built) or Adventureland (failing the building of Frontierland). However, the area is carved out for a new 'land', as is my understanding, as HKDL has only used 72 of its allocated 126 hectares.

Frontierland isn't going to happen (at least anytime soon), that's just rumor ... same with Peter Pan or even the reasons why Mansion wasn't built (has nothing to do with local customs, that's just an Internet created Disney urban legend).
    Small World is the only major addition that's been greenlighted, and not announced yet.

But Pirates and Mansion are both likely for Adventureland by 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway
    ...what the Japanese wanted was a symbol of pure Americana, so the best rides from the American parks were incorporated there...I think HKDL is the same as TDL - the tried and tested, pure American rides.
    Exactly. HKDL should add attractions that have been successful here (Pirates, Splash, etc) to keep the American feel to the park. I voted for big rides very similar to those here.

• Banned User

I would hardly compare HKDL to TDL... ALL DL parks around the World are about Americana...and in fact, HKDL is missing a Frontierland so to me, that would make HKDL, the least American park. Even DLP featured Americana themes on opening day... both in and outside the park. Festival Disney anyone???

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    Festival Disney anyone???
    Or the hotels which all "emulate" America...

• Just this guy......

If they build a new land they would have to put attraction into it.

I personally think that building New Orlands Square, with both HM and PotC, would be the way to go.