Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Watch Your Language

HKDL to add 3 attractions - BusinessWeek - 2/27/2006

FEB. 27 8:02 A.M. ET Hong Kong Disneyland announced Monday that it planned to add three new attractions to the theme park as part of its expansion plan.
    The additions are the "Autopia" electric car ride, the "Stitch Encounter," a theater show, and the UFO Zone -- made up of water-squirting robot, rocket ship and flying saucer, said a Hong Kong Disney spokeswoman Esther Wong. The three games -- located in the Tomorrowland section of the park -- will be open to the public this summer, Wong said.
    .................................................. .............................................

Wong said the Hong Kong government is expected to finish reclaiming land by 2008 for the construction of the second phase of the park.

At 126 hectares (310 acres), Hong Kong Disneyland, opened in September, is the smallest Disney park in the world, but Bill Ernest, the park's managing director, said the company is "reviewing expansion plans for the park."
    "This is a long-term improvement measure designed to do two things: increase capacity by a steady program of expansion and enhance the guest experience with thrilling new attractions and features," Ernest told Hong Kong lawmakers during a legislative session.
    Details : Click here
    Source : BusinessWeek

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Re: HKDL to add 3 attractions - BusinessWeek - 2/27/2006

The three games
    Exactly.

Stitch Encounter...nooooo, they stole my idea! Oh well, at least it'll get built.
    In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

open to the public this summer
    Woohoo! This means I can be Stitch-tastic and spray myself with water in September!

I should have realised that would happen when the HK Disneyland site was advertising for Stitch sound-a-like auditions.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Minion

ORWEN: I thought these 3 attractions had been announced a long time ago and that the topic of this thread would be more like official announcements for 3 that have NOT yet been announced--such as Small World, Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion. (Sigh) They sure know how to drag their broom sticks over there in Hong Kong, don't they?

I hadn't heard about the Stitch attraction, but the UFO Zone (which I think is no more than a wet PlayfulPooSpot, unless they are going to add some interest kinetic movement to it) had been announced, and Autopia was basically always there the whole time...

• Banned User

I think they should have built Autopia, Pirates and Peter Pan as the three new rides instead of Stitch and these robot playgrounds.

Yeah, this isn't quite the great news I thought it would be after reading the thread title. We all knew Autopia was coming, but why build another Stitch attraction when the one here got mixed reviews? This UFO Zone however could be interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Danny
    This UFO Zone however could be interesting...
    From what I understand, it is just going to be an interactive water play area. It is said to feature a playground amongst broken space shuttles and water spouts and fountains.

Something similar to the kiddie-oriented changes in Toontowns around the place...
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Vehicle rotating backward

Peter Pan and Mansion would have been a better use of this money than SGE and paving over a bunch of land for the Autopia, this park is not exactly spacious.

I would not expect IASW at all, because the philosophy kind of runs against the grain of a communist government. One of the cardinal rules of running a government like that, you don't want to promote any view that appears to be talking about how wonderful life is outside of your country's boundaries. Because if people honestly knew what life was like on the outside, nobody would want to live where they do anymore without serious reform. I know the politics in Hong Kong are different, but they're also sort of the same, and the influence of the mainland is kind of a serious issue to them.

• Banned User

Those new "attractions" are old news... We have known about them since the park opened....

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    I would not expect IASW at all, because the philosophy kind of runs against the grain of a communist government. One of the cardinal rules of running a government like that, you don't want to promote any view that appears to be talking about how wonderful life is outside of your country's boundaries.
    Yeah, but they've allowed a theme park that essentially celebrates the "American way of life". It has a Main Street, USA. The whole park, by that argument, is promoting a way of life that is not their own.

Hong Kong, even under China, has always been a bit different to mainland China. Besides, China has opened themselves up to American industry for years. (Ok, some of that industry may have technically been sweatshops...). Beijing is holding the MOST international of meetings (the Olympics) in 2008. Indeed, both Beijing and Shanghai are competing for American and other international business (most recently rumours of theme parks).

So really - It's a Small World is no less realistic than a Disneyland park in Hong Kong or the Olympics in China.

• Vehicle rotating backward

True, I'm not saying Hong Kong has the gun turrets at the border shooting people trying to escape, but so long as people don't think the rest of the world has a better form of government than they do, there's no need for them.

You bring up a good point about the Main Street, though, although I don't think it's overtly patriotic, more just a scene from storybook than anything else. No American flags, flag retreat, etc right?

Although, now that I think of it, it's very odd that China's DL has a Main Street USA and Japan's does not.

• Banned User

Stitch, as in wdws attraction? Why build this, I understand autopia, and a kiddy area... But why stitch??

^^No Stitch Encounter will be nothing like the MK's attraction. It will basically be Turtle Talk with Crush ... but instead of a turtle you'll be speaking to a little blue alien!

And Small World is a done deal. WDI is actively working on it now. Ground-breaking will be sometime later this year with opening in time for next summer.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast