• stagestar

More construction photos

Hey there, Hi there, Ho there,

thanks to a kind sould I received a bunch of over 40 construction photos from Hong Kong Disneyland, which were taken early March, including aerial photos and close ups taken inside the Disneyland Park.

Originally I wanted to just add them all here, but I then spend all afternoon preparing some texts explaining what one can see for those of us who are not yet faimilar with the new park ... so I uploaded them to the website I am a team-member of. You can see the pics now at http://www.dlp.info/Guide/News-And-R...ruction-01.asp

I hope this was in your interest too ...

Yours
    Dirk

• Minion

Thanks you! Great Pics, and thanks for the explanations too!

• Official MC Thread Killer

Thank you for the wonderful pictures!! Although I am DEEPLY disappointed with Hong Kong Disneyland, I am trying to remain optimistic about the final product, which unfortunately will lack qutie a bit. Anyways, do you think Mickey's PhilarMagic was a last minute addition? It seems like it's one of the only rides located outside the train tracks...
    BLOCK - PARTY - BASH
    I'm gonna sing it; from the heart behind these hands

Please do not put on your safety goggles until you are safely seated inside the theater safely

Thanks for the pics. Unfortunately, they do nothing to dispel my feelings that the parks is going to be a HUGE disappointment to anyone familiar with ANY of the four other MKs around the world. There just is so little there. And worse, for all the talk of lush gardens, the park seems very treeless ... and expansion? Where? Certainly not inside the berm. There looks to be almost no real space for expansion let alone the major Phase II attractions (Pirates, Mansion, Small World) that Al alluded to in his column a few months back.

I guess whatever expansion that takes place will be outside the berm. The 'look' of Tomorrowland does appeal to me, but I sure wish it had more than three attractions. For all the talk about Adventureland being the largest in any park, it appears the whole land consists of the Jungle Cruise and rafts to Tarzan's Treehouse. And Fantasyland looks to have the design of the 1971 MK F-Land -- not good. BTW, PhilharMagic is supposed to be right next to the castle on one side -- NOT outside the berm.

I intend to go, and I'm sure I'll like the place. I've never been to a new Disney park (including DCA) and not enjoyed myself. The location is definitely spectacular, but the park sure looks much less than.

And why does it seem Disney recycles every design element nowadays? From the same Mickey fountain found in DSP to the hotels. I'm sure they're beautiful, but couldn't Disney have done something different than the Grand Californian/Disneyland Paris Hotel and the Tokyo Disney Ambassador with a piano-shaped pool ala Disney's All Star Music?

Oh well, and does anyone know what Disney will be showing in the big F-Land theater (likely same blueprints as the Hyperion) when the park opens?

I really wish everyone wasn't so down on this park before even seeing it finished!! I'm going to agree from the beginning that it is small and there aren't enough attractions, which is a BIG problem. It is going to be a few years until HKDL can compare to the other parks of the world.

However, from the photos I've seen, what is actually there is pretty great. There is an interesting and new take on Tomorrowland. Main Street is nearly identical to DLR (which it should be...). Adventureland is looking great...not much to do there yet, but trees (and quite a few of them it looks to me) and some nice stuff in the Jungle Cruise. Fantasyland does look like WDW MK and not the (AWESOME!) DLP version, but what can ya do. It is a look that works well. Seems to me it is off to a fine start.

And there really is a lot of space outside the tracks for expansion if you look carefully. And remember, tracks can move (they've moved on several occasions at DL). Attractions can be outside the berm (WDW: Splash, Space Mt., DLP: Small World) and still be in the park. If attendance is good (which I think won't be a problem), HK will soon have all the attractions it should have had from the beginning, and more.

So alls I'm say, man, is Let's wait until the cake is baked before we say it's no good. Let's see what the park looks like when it's done. THEN, let's have a good critical discussion about it. Plenty of other things we can criticize until then (like that ridiculous Stitch attraction...I mean, where the heck did that come from . )

• Minion

ORDDU: Actually, 1stStarIC2nite duckling, Mickey's Philharmagic was originally conceived for Hong Kong Disneyland and is actually located inside the berm next to King Stefan's Banquet Hall. (Think of where Disneyland's Pinocchio Village Hauss is located, now, and you'll get a better idea of where Mickey's Philharmagic is to be located in Hong Kong.)

ORWEN: The structure you're probably getting confused over is the Storybook Theatre, which is situated outside the Fantasyland berm. They'll most likely have character stage shows there--hopefully in the sophisticated mode of ALADDIN.

• Gift Giver Extraordinare

I look at HKDL as being a pocket Disneyland. If I lived in the midwest with a few hundred acres, I'd want something like this built in my backyard. It's kind of like a "highlights" version. It still needs a small world and pirates but then it'd be near perfect.
    Walt's Magic Kingdom

AP since 1984

Quote Originally Posted by Kronk
    I really wish everyone wasn't so down on this park before even seeing it finished!! I'm going to agree from the beginning that it is small and there aren't enough attractions, which is a BIG problem. It is going to be a few years until HKDL can compare to the other parks of the world.
    And I really wish Disney gave me reasons to be up on this park, but the company has now conditioned me to expect the worst. You have no idea how excited I was about the opening of EPCOT Center -- and it still absolutely astounded me. The same thing with both Disney-MGM and DAK, although to a lesser extent.

People aren't (well, some of them) stupid. How many folks pointed out the many obvious shortcomings in DCA before it opened? I don't need to wait until it opens to realize it is small, uninspired and features very few signature Disney attractions. It is, to use Roy Disney's words, obvious the 'park was built on the cheap.' Amazing, since Disney's actual investment is so small.

However, from the photos I've seen, what is actually there is pretty great. There is an interesting and new take on Tomorrowland. Main Street is nearly identical to DLR (which it should be...). Adventureland is looking great...not much to do there yet, but trees (and quite a few of them it looks to me) and some nice stuff in the Jungle Cruise. Fantasyland does look like WDW MK and not the (AWESOME!) DLP version, but what can ya do. It is a look that works well. Seems to me it is off to a fine start..
    Well, you can spend money. You can build a 21st century MK, not one that looks like 1971. ... And I'm fairly sure it will be a nice looking park, but (as my momma once told me about dating) looks only get you so far, you need to have substance as well. HKDL doesn't.

And there really is a lot of space outside the tracks for expansion if you look carefully. And remember, tracks can move (they've moved on several occasions at DL). Attractions can be outside the berm (WDW: Splash, Space Mt., DLP: Small World) and still be in the park. If attendance is good (which I think won't be a problem), HK will soon have all the attractions it should have had from the beginning, and more.

So alls I'm say, man, is Let's wait until the cake is baked before we say it's no good. Let's see what the park looks like when it's done. THEN, let's have a good critical discussion about it. ..

Yes, there is plenty of room OUTSIDE the berm, although some backstage infrastructure will clearly have to be moved. But again, wouldn't the smart thing have been to leave extra expansion space INSIDE the berm?

And again, I don't feel like we have to wait until the park is opened to comment on its shortcomings. I don't have to shop at WalMart to know what kind of merchandise I'll find.

• Just this guy......

The only thing that I'm down on is the lack of attractions and which ones are missing. Not to have POTC and/or HM in a Disneyland park is nuts!!! :confused:

The sad fact is it is easier to list every attraction that won't be represented in HK, than what will. This is reality.

• Riding Big Thunder

How come I can only see one photo on the page? help me!
    Walt Disney World Trips: October 95, August 98, October 04

Disneyland Paris Trips: Too many to name!

• Banned User

WDW1974, I will take anything on that Fantasyland Theater except WDSP's awful AniMagique show!!!

TDLFAN, I am just surprised Disney hasn't announced what's going to be in that theater. Opening Day is six months away now. They want media attention, yet they appear to be keeping much of the park under wraps (unfortunately, not because there are four E-tix they are secretly building though).

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries
    I wonder if there will be a hong kong fantasmic

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

I did notice in the preview center at Epcot, there's a rendering with the theater marquee in the background and it is advertising one of the shows 'Golden Mickeys' from the Disney Cruise Line. Have no idea if that's what they will be showing or not.