Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Watch Your Language

Mayor :"Shanghai awaiting central gov't approval for Disney Theme Park"-Forbes-3/7/06

Shanghai awaiting central government approval for Disney theme park

SHANGHAI (AFX) - Shanghai is awaiting final approval from the central government for a Disney theme park, Shanghai mayor Han Zheng said, according to China News.

Han, who is also a deputy of the National People's Congress, said they hope to build the park soon, but a starting date for construction has not been set.

When asked about possible competition between Shanghai and Hong Kong, which already has a Disney park, he said he hopes for co-operation instead.

Hong Kong and mainland media earlier reported that Shanghai hopes to start construction of the theme park in 2008.
    Source : Forbes

• Having a Grand Day!

Re: Mayor :"Shanghai awaiting central gov't approval for Disney Theme Park"-Forbes-3/7/06

Grrrrr... If it's the one thing I hate about Igor, it's his insistance to oversell the Disney brand in China. YOU ALLREADY HAVE ONE THEME PARK, DON'T CHEAPEN THE BRAND FURTHER YOU TWIT!

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Re: Mayor :"Shanghai awaiting central gov't approval for Disney Theme Park"-Forbes-3/

Quote Originally Posted by drnilescrane
    Grrrrr... If it's the one thing I hate about Igor, it's his insistance to oversell the Disney brand in China. YOU ALLREADY HAVE ONE THEME PARK, DON'T CHEAPEN THE BRAND FURTHER YOU TWIT!
    I already have some feelings in that respect over parks in Florida, Paris, Tokyo and Hong Kong. Sure, all are unique and fun in their own way, but is Disney over-selling the park concept generally? Isn't Disneyland special because it is the "Happiest Place on Earth", not one of several almost identical happy places?

Regardless, I don't think another Chinese Disney park is a wise move, especially given that HK isn't out of the teething stages yet.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Re: Mayor :"Shanghai awaiting central gov't approval for Disney Theme Park"-Forbes-3/7/06

Yeah this has been claimed by the Shanghai government for years now. Its the usual Chinese propaganda I say. I'll believe it when WDI releases renderings and Iger stands and announces it himself.

Re: Mayor :"Shanghai awaiting central gov't approval for Disney Theme Park"-Forbes-3/

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    I'll believe it when WDI releases renderings and Iger stands and announces it himself.
    It was only the other day that Iger said he has long term plans for China AND India. However, according to the same story, other theme park people think that India and China simply don't have the infrastructure (especially the case with India) to have massive theme parks.

Robert Iger thinks the Walt Disney Co. will build theme parks in India and mainland China during his lifetime though maybe not during his tenure as the company's chief executive officer.

At a conference sponsored by the Bear Stearns brokerage house earlier this week in Palm Beach, Iger said big challenges with local infrastructure such as transportation and waste disposal need to be overcome before such widely speculated developments can occur.

"For now we're willing to be patient," he said.
    Source: Orlando Sentinel
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Minion FOREVER!

I completely agree with tloolgb. This has been rumored for for a while now.
    In fact, I remember hearing about this at the same time that HKDL was
    rumored about.

There's a LOT of places that have been rumored about (Seoul, Sydney, Mumbai)
    over the years; they still might or might not happen. I'll believe it when it actually breaks ground. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis
    It was only the other day that Iger said he has long term plans for China AND India. However, according to the same story, other theme park people think that India and China simply don't have the infrastructure (especially the case with India) to have massive theme parks.
    This is definitly true for India and most of China but not for Shanghai. I just came back from there a few weeks ago and it is an amazing modern city. China can definitly handle two different parks in China without a problem. In China alone there are a billion people and this does not include the millions of tourists that travel to Shanghai every year. The growth potential in China is mind blowing. However, I do feel they should make it very different from Hong Kong and Tokyo.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosso11
    However, I do feel they should make it very different from Hong Kong and Tokyo.
    As it is, Tokyo has larger wide-open spaces to handle the massive influx of people. I can only imagine how big the park would have to be to handle the sheer amount of people that could potentially pass through the gates every day.

It is a vastly untapped market, as far as Disney parks are concerned. Although, careful planning would definitely be needed. The problems with HK Disneyland over Chinese New Year are a drop in the water compared to the crowd potential during similar circumstances in mainland China.

Anyway, as far the as 'infrastructure' part is concerned, I'm guessing they didn't necessarily mean Shanghai or Beijing per se, but rather getting people to the city from all over the country. There are a variety of transportation services Disney offers in the US from airports, as mentioned in the article listed above, and I think Iger was hinting that he'd like to see the potential for that to be in place before thoughts of construction could take place. However, I agree with you in essence - if China were to have a Disneyland, Shanghai would be the place to build it.

• Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis
    Anyway, as far the as 'infrastructure' part is concerned, I'm guessing they didn't necessarily mean Shanghai or Beijing per se, but rather getting people to the city from all over the country. There are a variety of transportation services Disney offers in the US from airports, as mentioned in the article listed above, and I think Iger was hinting that he'd like to see the potential for that to be in place before thoughts of construction could take place. However, I agree with you in essence - if China were to have a Disneyland, Shanghai would be the place to build it.
    China's key transport infrastructure projects for 2006-2010

The following are the key transport infrastructure projects China is set to build during the 2006-2010 period, listed in the draft guidelines of the five-year development blueprint being deliberated by Chinese lawmakers at their ongoing annual session:

-- Railway: six railways for passenger transportation, including one between Beijing and Shanghai; five inter-city railways, including one between Beijing and Tianjin; and the upgrading of five existing railways including one between Datong and Qinhuangdao.

-- Highway: 14 expressways including one from Beijing to Hong Kong and Macau.

-- Port: transit systems for the transportation of coal and imported oil, gas and iron ore, and containers transport systems at 12 seaports including those in Dalian, Tianjin and Shanghai; coal transit and storage bases in eastern and southern China.

-- Shipping: the third-phase project for dredging the deepwater channel at the mouth of the Yangtze River, the course at the mouth of the Pearl River to the sea, channel dredging in the Yangtze and Pearl River valleys and the Beijing-Hangzhou Canal; and acceleration of port construction along inland rivers.

-- Airport: expansion of ten airports including those in Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou; relocation of the two airports in Kunming and Hefei; and airports in central, western and northeastern China to accommodate flights on feeder lines.
    Source : EastDay
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

China to spend big on airport infrastructure expansion

BEIJING, China (eTN) -- China's Civil Aviation Administration (CAAC) has announced it will spend US$17.4 billion over the next five years on expansion of its airport infrastructure.

"By 2010, the mainland will have about 186 airports, up from 142 currently," said CAAC Vice-Minister Gao Hongfeng. "China's commercial aircraft fleet will grow to 1,580 by 2010, up from 863 currently and by 2020, China will have 4,000 commercial aircraft."

China's three largest airports, Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou, will be expanded so they can maintain their roles as China's international air passenger and cargo hub. Expansion plans are also slotted for Shenzhen, Chengdu, Haikou, Hangzhou and Xian airports.

Many of the present 170 airports nationwide are old and need to be renovated or replaced with newer terminals. "There are only about 10 airports in China that are profitable, some only in terms of cash flow," said Jim Eckes, from Indoswiss Aviation Consultant. "Overall, Chinese airports have the potential to make money."

In 2004, the CAAC handed over control of 70 airports to local governments and remained a regulator of the industry. "The reform resulted in a better market environment for aviation, allowing fair competition between different airlines," said Li Wei, deputy fleet planning director at Shenzhen Airlines.

In the Pearl River Delta, seen as China's seat of capitalism, airports are competing for passengers. "You see competition for passengers from the ultra-modern airports in Guangzhou and Hong Kong, an interesting airport in Shenzhen, an under-utilized airport in Macau, and a beautiful, but hardly used airport at Zhuhai," added Eckes.

Chinese officials are saying the country is confident enough to embark on a bold aviation development plan given that air traffic has had a double-digit increase. In 2004, passenger numbers rose 38 percent to 120 million. In 2005, Chinese airlines carried 138 million passengers, up 15.5 percent from the previous year. It also carried 3.4 million tons of cargo, up 13.8 percent.

China is also looking to establish a more open and free air transport links within the ASEAN.

From 1990 to 2005, China spent $14.9 billion on airport infrastructure.
    Source: TravelVideo

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

China is building the World's Biggest Airport Terminal (Terminal 3) at Beijing International Airport now.Currently, HKIA has the Single Biggest Airport Terminal in the world, HKIA is still expanding. The New Beijing Airport Terminal 3 is designed by the same famous designer who designed the award winning HKIA (Hong Kong International Airport). They also have the most gorgeous looking highway in China.

Last edited by HongKongDisneyland; 03-07-2006 at 07:14 PM.

• Watch Your Language

About half of the world's constructions are now in China(including macau and Hong Kong).

2008 Beijing Olympic Stadium:

Beijing Silvertie Centre Tower:

Shanghai World Financial Centre (the world's tallest), now under construction:

Beijing CCTV headquarters:

Chongqing Marriott Conference Centre:

QianJiang New CBD Mega Project:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Extension of Maglev line from Shanghai to Hangzhou (probably completed before 2010):

....................Just to name a few...

with all those modernization and new infrastructure projects in mainland, plus all those mega projects in 2 SAR(Special Administrative Region), Hong Kong and Macau. China is getting a face lift....it will shine in 2010.
    Last edited by HongKongDisneyland; 03-07-2006 at 07:17 PM.

• Minion FOREVER!

Thanks for the pretty pics, HKDL

But what's the series of curvy roads right under the airport pics?

They look strange as there's no houses or anything, but the roads curve
    around each other.

-----
    Edit: I think they're car testing roads. I've seen something like it in Stuttgart, Germany & near Detroit.
    Also there's one picture with what looks to be a banked oval.
    Last edited by nish221; 03-16-2006 at 09:53 AM.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

India has like 0 infastructure in place...but Shanghai is ready...but is Disney? China has 1 billion people...but outside the major world hub cities (Shanghai, Hong Kong) the people are not ready for theme parks, they just don't have the culture for it. I think Disney has learned this but I hope they take it to heart...they don't need two parks attracting bush-peeing and child-over-fence-throwing people.

I stand corrected! Thanks, HongKongDisneyland.

• Banned User

Re: Thanks for the pretty pics, HKDL

Quote Originally Posted by nish221
    But what's the series of curvy roads right under the airport pics?

They look strange as there's no houses or anything, but the roads curve
    around each other.
    I don't know, but that looks like a wonderful place to learn how to drive. lol

Maybe it's a testing ground for cars?

• Banned User

a few months ago i read an article that stated that china was getting ready to go ahead and build it's own disney park in shanghai. if disney doesn't go along with the idea, china will simply name it something else but it will have the disney ride systems and very similar if not exact copies of disney attractions. he chinese government is notorious for this, they have coppied everything fform tv's to cars and resold them under chinese brand names. like the "cherry" car. since the chinese govt. owns the majority of the hk park, why not build a new one on the mainland?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast