• Watch Your Language

Chinese official: Hong Kong Disneyland too crowded-Orlando Sentinel - 3/8/2006

Chinese official: Hong Kong Disneyland too crowded

The Associated Press
    Posted March 8, 2006, 7:36 AM EST

HONG KONG -- Hong Kong Disneyland is too crowded, a senior Chinese tourism official said today, hinting that another Disney park is necessary to accommodate demand from China's huge population.

The comments by Shao Qiwei, director of China's State Administration of Tourism, came a day after Shanghai's mayor Han Zheng said the city was preparing to build China's second Disney theme park.

"China has a very large population. We now have 1.3 billion people. The market is very large. As far as I know, Hong Kong Disneyland is now very crowded," said Shao, whose comments were broadcast on Hong Kong's Cable TV.

The Hong Kong theme park, which opened in September, was widely criticized in January when it turned away hundreds of Lunar New Year holiday makers from mainland China because the park was full. Chaos erupted when angry crowds tried to force their way into the park.

The embarrassing incident prompted a public apology from Hong Kong Disneyland Managing Director Bill Ernest and a dressing down from Hong Kong's leader Donald Tsang.

Authorities are carefully studying the issue of overcrowding in preparation for the possible building of the Disney park in Shanghai, Shao said.

The official Xinhua News Agency reported Tuesday that no agreement has been reached on the park in Shanghai, quoting senior vice president of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, Leslie Goodman.

Hong Kong Disneyland is a joint venture between The Walt Disney Co. and the local government, which shouldered the bulk of the park's construction fees.
    Source : Orlando Sentinel

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Re: Chinese official: Hong Kong Disneyland too crowded-Orlando Sentinel - 3/8/2006

I'm going to go out here on a limb and just come out and say it: Chinese Politicians are stupid. No way around it.
    1st of all, Hong Kong Disneyland is crowded. Way to jump on the bandwagon way too late. They've been saying that a while. We've been saying that since 2003. It's too crowded so another park is needed... WHAT?!? Apparently they have never heard of fixing what they have and making it bigger. But this is a senior CHINESE tourism person, not one from the HK SAR...so A) he doesn't have concern for growing HKDL and B) he's mainland...so it just comes across as more Shanghai BS on claiming to be making a Disney park there.
    What does he hope to gain from this "big announcement"?? Just his 15 minutes.
    Last edited by tloolgb; 03-08-2006 at 10:02 AM.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Re: Chinese official: Hong Kong Disneyland too crowded-Orlando Sentinel - 3/8/2006

Well, judging from the other media around the place (in this very forum), Shanghai is lobbying pretty hard for a second park in China.

While it might be transparent political lobbying, he does have a point: the area has a huge population, and a second park might alleviate some of the strain.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I were just reading a report on another web-footed site--from a young man who just got back from Hong Kong Disneyland, after visiting the park on a Sunday--only to say that the place was practically empty. He went on to say that a cast member mentioned that the attendance for that particular day was considered normal.

ORGOCH: So, what's with all the 'too crowded' horse puckey?! Maybe durin' special days. But if 'normal' means the place ain't got no guests, how can that mean they's over-crowded?

ORWEN: Now, if they were to go ahead and finish building a complete park with lots more to do, then it MIGHT become crowded all the time! Until then...

I gotta agree witches thats the kind of report I've been reading too...my guess is this is a Shanghai politician and not a HK politican and it just goes back to Shanghai and thier whining for a DL.

• Minion

ORGOCH: Tell ya what, tloogb, ducklin'. Soon as Ping Pong Dizzyland's REALLY got somethin' ta do over there, we'll give ya a free ride over there on a broom stick. 'Til then, how'd ya like ta join me in a frog hunt? (Bet it's more fun fer ya than standin' in a long line fer their dang Jumble Cruise er Buzzard Light Beer er Mickey's 'Filler Magic' on a hot day over there!

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva
    ORGOCH: Tell ya what, tloogb, ducklin'. Soon as Ping Pong Dizzyland's REALLY got somethin' ta do over there, we'll give ya a free ride over there on a broom stick. 'Til then, how'd ya like ta join me in a frog hunt? (Bet it's more fun fer ya than standin' in a long line fer their dang Jumble Cruise er Buzzard Light Beer er Mickey's 'Filler Magic' on a hot day over there!
    Oh I don't think I'd say it's not worth visiting now...but once something new is up I'll take that invitation for a flight to Hong Kong.