Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Watch Your Language

HK sees no threat in Shanghai's plan for Disney park-People's Daily- 3/15/2006

HK sees no threat in Shanghai's plan for Disney park

Hong Kong tourism's competitiveness will not be threatened by Shanghai's proposal to build a new Disney theme park, Hong Kong economic development chief said on Tuesday.
    There is no worry about Hong Kong Disneyland's attractiveness to tourists, even a new theme park is opened in Shanghai as proposed, said Stephen Ip, secretary for Economic Development and Labor of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR).

The HKSAR government has long heard of Shanghai's plan to build a Disney theme park, though an agreement has yet been reached between the city authorities and Walt Disney Company, Ip told the Legislative Council (LegCo).

On the other hand, Hong Kong Disneyland still has an edge to attract visitors, for it has been in operation for less than one year and would project more new games in the future, said Ip.

Last week, during the annual session of the National People's Congress, Mayor of Shanghai Han Zheng confirmed that the city is making preparations to build a Disney theme park and waiting for the permission from the State Council.

The news has raised Hong Kong media's attention, though Han stressed that the two cities have long benefited and will continue to reap interests from cooperation rather than competition.

Since it opened seven months ago, Hong Kong Disneyland has attracted large number of visitors, many of whom from China's mainland, despite a series of public relations crisis.
    During the Chinese New Year holidays in February, the park had to close its gate to hundreds of visitors holding pre-purchased tickets for it reached the maximum accommodation capability soon after opening.
    Source : People's Daily

Hong Kong: Shanghai Disney not a threat

The competitiveness of Hong Kong’s tourism will not suffer from Shanghai’s proposal to build a new Disney theme park, Hong Kong economic development chief said yesterday.

Hong Kong Disneyland will continue to attract tourists, even if a new theme park is opened in Shanghai as proposed, said Hong Kong’s Secretary for Economic Development and Labor Stephen Ip.

The Hong Kong government has long heard of Shanghai’s plan to build a Disney theme park, though an agreement has not yet been reached between the city authorities and Walt Disney Company, the official said.

Hong Kong Disneyland still has an edge in attracting visitors, for it has been in operation for less than one year and will have more new rides in the future.
    Shanghai Mayor Han Zheng confirmed that the city is preparing to build a Disneyland theme park and waiting for a go-ahead from the State Council.
    Source: China Daily

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Re: HK sees no threat in Shanghai's plan for Disney park-People's Daily- 3/15/2006

Maybe if this wasn't from the government run newspaper it might be more believeable. But it's hard to think this is what Hong Kong wants to say when the government which wants its own Disneyland is saying it for them.
    I doubt Hong Kong wants to lose Shanghai's visitors.

• Minion FOREVER!

Re: HK sees no threat in Shanghai's plan for Disney park-People's Daily- 3/15/2006

tloolbg, overall, I agree that HK doesn't want to lose those visitors. But the way
    that I read this was that because of :

better weather
    other entertainment/attractions that they're building in HK
    distance from Shanghai

they (HK officials) don't think they'll lose too many visitors to Shanghai.

Anyway my two cents...yuan.... on this... :-)

What do you think HKDL?

• Former Epcot CM

Have they considered WDI's plans to make this the best Magic Kingdom since Disneyland Paris? (Well basically the next one after DLP is you don't consider the excuse for an MK that is HKDL)
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway
    Have they considered WDI's plans to make this the best Magic Kingdom since Disneyland Paris? (Well basically the next one after DLP is you don't consider the excuse for an MK that is HKDL)
    As I've said elsewhere, these parks exist to make profit, not bring in the golden era of Imagineering. Overly elaborate theming and decoration only serve to require more income before they'll break even. Not to mention that most people who will be going to this park will not be very discriminating with little knowledge of the other parks around the world. So they can get away with cutting all the little details and the visitor base will still be as pleased with the concept as they otherwise would be.

Have we even heard anything about TWDC being on-board with this officially? Right now all these releases are about Shanghai asking the nanny state if it's okay if they build a Disneyland here, which is how things happen in that kind of system.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Disney wants into China. China wants a park in Shanghai. It is probably going to happen. Besides, the failures of Paris don't have to happen with Shanghai simply because of where the park will be located. China can offer vacations for citizens (and won't they look wonderful for sending people to the most beautiful Magic Kingdom too, much better than what is offered in Hong Kong) and add visits to people who are visiting China.

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    Disney wants into China. China wants a park in Shanghai. It is probably going to happen. Besides, the failures of Paris don't have to happen with Shanghai simply because of where the park will be located. China can offer vacations for citizens (and won't they look wonderful for sending people to the most beautiful Magic Kingdom too, much better than what is offered in Hong Kong) and add visits to people who are visiting China.
    A minor corrections.

Disney's already *in* China.

China doesn't officially want a park in Shanghai. It's Shanghai that wants
    a Disney park in Shanghai. It's still a bit of a road since the (Shanghai officials)
    have to work thru the Beijing bureaucracy (there's rumors that
    Beijing wants a WDC parks, too) and then negotiate w/ Disney Co.
    Basically, I won't hold my breath waiting for it.

Completely agree that what happened in Paris does not necessarily mean
    that it'll happen anywhere else. And that the central govt can choose to foot part or
    all of the bill in which case WDI will literally build what it can "imagineer" i.e.
    TDS instead of the bean counters will allow them. A good guide to this is seeing
    how closely the built ride/attraction matches the concept art. Ex. see concept
    art for TDS vs reality vs what happened in DCA.

Anyway, my two cents...

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    As I've said elsewhere, these parks exist to make profit, not bring in the golden era of Imagineering. Overly elaborate theming and decoration only serve to require more income before they'll break even. Not to mention that most people who will be going to this park will not be very discriminating with little knowledge of the other parks around the world. So they can get away with cutting all the little details and the visitor base will still be as pleased with the concept as they otherwise would be.

Have we even heard anything about TWDC being on-board with this officially? Right now all these releases are about Shanghai asking the nanny state if it's okay if they build a Disneyland here, which is how things happen in that kind of system.
    Actually, ALL of these parks exists to make profit. But history has shown (TDS vs
    DCA, DSP) that quality (as in the Golden era of Imagineering) is what makes
    that profit. And it's that attention to detail ("theming") that provide that allows
    WDC to charge the premium for its parks (over 6 Flags, Universal, etc)
    and create customer loyalty like no other (I'll bet that the theme parks websites
    w/ the highest traffic are Disney related).

So WDC can cut quality all they want to their peril.
    It's just that it'll come back to bite them (as it already has w/ DCA & DSP).

My 2 cents...
    Last edited by nish221; 03-22-2006 at 03:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nish221
    Actually, ALL of these parks exists to make profit. But history has shown (TDS vs
    that profit. And it's that attention to detail ("theming") that provide that allows
    and create customer loyalty like no other (I'll bet that the theme parks websites
    Yeah but then you have to have Golden Imagineering v. logic. Changing and updating parks bring people in and bring them back. Look to TDS for an example of that. Brilliant park, wonderfully themed, full day park back in 2001, and OLC hoped to ride that full day park for a long time...hence why it doesn't have boatloads of expansion pads. TDS isn't getting the 1 million a month it was getting in 2001 anymore...its kinda flatlined. So there golden Imagineering still has to be coupled with reality.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

China doesn't officially want a park in Shanghai. It's Shanghai that wants
    a Disney park in Shanghai. It's still a bit of a road since the (Shanghai officials)
    have to work thru the Beijing bureaucracy (there's rumors that
    Beijing wants a WDC parks, too) and then negotiate w/ Disney Co.
    Basically, I won't hold my breath waiting for it.
    I just think the whole applying is normal show BS. If the Central Government wants the park in Beijing they would have said so and just stopped Shanghai from saying what it has been.

• Having a Grand Day!

I do hope that this falls though. I just can't stand the thought of yet another Disneyland Lite in the world, let alone another not being operated by Disney.

• Vehicle rotating backward

So WDC can cut quality all they want to their peril.
    It's just that it'll come back to bite them (as it already has w/ DCA & DSP).

My 2 cents...
    I guess you didn't catch the underlying message in my post, so I guess I'll make myself more clear, at the risk of possibly offending people.

The average Chinese mainland citizen does not get out and see the world that much. I can't imagine what it would like to live in a society of 1.3 billion people, but the fact is that we know they aren't going to DLP or TDR or the USA parks because if they were, Disney would feel no need to come to them.

Now then, most these people do not know that TDR is better than HKDL is better than Six Flags and so on. They're probably not even fitting the social profile of the average park visitor. Someone made a comment about people throwing their babies over the fence to go to the bathroom in the planters around HKDL. I have no idea if that story is true or not, but when you're dealing with that kind of culture, the people who are visiting will probably be so blown away by a budget park that brings a few of the usual Dinsey icons like Space and Big Thunder that it doesn't matter that you don't build a DisneySea. In fact, it's probably better if you don't because then you have bigger risk and more to lose if the park fails.

Consider that the average Chinese theme park is probably using off the shelf rides and some blatantly copyright infringement cases of Mickey or Pokemon or whatever, and you can see that what is considered "cheap" to Disney and American theme park fanatics is quite good to someone who has never seen beter. You can build something on the cheap and it will be irrelevant to the visitor.

• WDW FAN

I heard from an imagineer yesterday that the company is already planning the park in Shanghai. They are talking about buidling the moderate resort first so that the workers can stay there while the park is being built. They will then rehab the resort before they open it to guests.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Someone made a comment about people throwing their babies over the fence to go to the bathroom in the planters around HKDL. I have no idea if that story is true or not,
    Yeah those stories are true.

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    Yeah those stories are true.
    Yes. The stories are true, BUT it was NOT "people throwing kids over
    the fence so that they can relieve themselves". THAT did not happen.

There were several reported cases of people relieving themselves in
    the park in the opening day rush in the papers and on the internet.

There were also several photos of people trying to push their children over the fences during the chinese new year.

Two separate cases. From all reports, the public elimination has been
    curtailed thru publicity and staff training/awareness. The "children
    over the fence" issue was largely stopped by the police even as it
    was happening.

An interesting note is that I heard that even the HK press noted dismay at these
    behaviours. Anyone who read chinese or regularly reads HK papers validate that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast