HK sees no threat in Shanghai's plan for Disney park Hong Kong
tourism's competitiveness will not be threatened by Shanghai'
s proposal to build a new Disney theme park, Hong Kong economic development chief said on Tuesday.
There is no worry about Hong Kong Disneyland's attractiveness to tourists, even a new theme park is opened in Shanghai as proposed, said Stephen Ip, secretary for Economic Development and Labor of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR).
The HKSAR government has long heard of Shanghai's plan to build a Disney theme park, though an agreement has yet been reached between the city authorities and Walt Disney Company, Ip told the Legislative Council (LegCo).
On the other hand, Hong Kong Disneyland still has an edge to attract visitors, for it has been in operation for less than one year and would project more new games in the future, said Ip.
Last week, during the annual session of the National People's Congress, Mayor of Shanghai Han Zheng confirmed that the city is making preparations to build a Disney theme park and waiting for the permission from the State Council.
The news has raised Hong Kong media's attention, though Han stressed that the two cities have long benefited and will continue to reap interests from cooperation rather than competition.
Since it opened seven months ago, Hong Kong Disneyland has attracted large number of visitors, many of whom from China's mainland, despite a series of public relations crisis.
During the Chinese New Year holidays in February, the park had to close its gate to hundreds of visitors holding pre-purchased tickets for it reached the maximum accommodation capability soon after opening.