Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Watch Your Language

The rumored site for Shanghai Disney Park was shown on local TV news

The rumored site for Shanghai Disney Theme Park was shown on TV during the TV night News report at HK TVB channel.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Re: The rumored site for Shanghai Disney Park was shown on local TV news

Yep did they show Mickey with his bulldozer coming through to take all the houses down and ake all those people relocate?
    *roll*

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The more and more I see all of this the more I think Shanghai Disneyland was a term for the construction of Hong Kong Disneyland and the overall entrance of Disney into China.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Well, it is hardly surprising that Disney wants to go full guns blazing into this vastly untapped market.

The ultimate hope is that they produce something that is as unique and simultaneously familiar as the Disneyland in Paris, or even Tokyo. However, I wonder whether Disney would be willing to lay out that much money on a potential flop.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Vehicle rotating backward

Oh of course they won't. Most the people in this market aren't that aware of Disney parks, else they wouldn't be so eaget to get in there, would they?

I expect Disney to do the bare minimum and take no chances and do nothing earth-shattering with parks such as these. These people are not that discriminating when it comes to Disney parks. Even if Disneyland 1975 fell out of a time hole in the sky and landed on the Shanghai plot, people would be excited about it.

All trying to be daring does is minimize their potential as profit drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    Even if Disneyland 1975 fell out of a time hole in the sky and landed on the Shanghai plot, people would be excited about it.

All trying to be daring does is minimize their potential as profit drivers.
    Well, it would satisfy advocates of a Yesterland!

Your last line is the crux of it, isn't it? It's all about bottom line and shareholders, which rabid fans often forget. New attractions, shiny new things are all well and good, but they cost money. The idea with Shanghai and Hong Kong is testing the Chinese market, which may or may not be interesting the populate.

However, I wonder if Hong Kong was the test and Shanghai will be the main event? Will we see something of Parisian proportions now that we've had a dry test run in Hong Kong? I somehow doubt it, but it would be nice.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis
    Will we see something of Parisian proportions now that we've had a dry test run in Hong Kong? I somehow doubt it, but it would be nice.
    Well we have an interesting dilema there. The one in Hong Kong was built under Eisner who wanted to tap the market with minimum expense. I think something like $360 million (or initially before Rasulo came in and added) was Disney's bill for 40-something % of HKITPL.
    Amazing but Eisner pushed, got what he wanted and pushed some more (or had Judson Green push...and now we lost Judson because of it). But when all was said and done they had what China invested and then looked to see what they could get with what they invested. They didn't want to spend a whole lot. Coupled with the enterance of Pressler into Hong Kong's most important stage of development left Disney with a very small investment and a very small park.
    Bob Iger seems to be a very different man, he can certainly talk the talk like an old Walt-trained pro...we've yet to see how far he can walk the walk (though he's walking pretty damn good up to now). I'd expect if one in Shanghai went through it'd be on a much larger scale than Hong Kong, especially with Iger, Rasulo and Lasseter in charge (much different priorities than Eisner, Fitzgerald and Pressler).
    Not that Hong Kong needs something bigger to target it's main audiance of main-landers too.

And not that we want Disney spending more money in a still up and civilizing world (now they can have two parks where they pee in the bushes and protest closed rides).

• Vehicle rotating backward

With all due respect, people in China are not exactly going out to Disney parks around the world and acquiring a taste for them. It is not like everyone in China has seen TDL and is demanding one of equal quality.

The point that I'm trying to make is that Disney could crank out what we would see as the most bland, cookie-cutter by the numbers accountaneered Kingdom park yet in Shanghai and chances are the market there would LOVE it because, at the risk of sounding rude, they just don't know any better.

So trying to make something that's actually nice means it'll just be extra expenses for them to have to earn back.

^^
    Excellent points, tloolgb and Mickey Mania.

I think the 'Walt' comparison with Iger is an interesting one, as he is certainly making some bold decisions and sweeping changes at the moment. Mind you, Eisner did the same thing when he was first installed. It makes you wonder what kind of parks Eisner would have created if he'd been inclined during his equivalent stage of his career.

Physically, a Shanghai Disneyland would have to be bigger, even if it just meant a broader Main Street and larger loitering areas (a la Tokyo). However, I think you could be right about the creative and decision making mentality of the Iger-Rasulo-(and particularly)Lasseter trio. The ideas are going to be big, and hopefully the money behind it will be too.

However, as you say - perhaps this is not a part of the world where Disneyland will be accepted by the mainstream? However, I have no real call or basis for that, but my understanding is that this type of theme park is a largely unique thing in China. Once again, it is back to the 'creative versus bottom line' argument. However, as Mickey Mania points out, a Disney park doesn't have to be the same or better in China. WDW had to be bigger and better because the US already had a theme park. Europe had to be bigger and better because they had real castles and their own culture. In an untapped market, sometimes a taste is all you need.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Take a look at the Shanghai we get to see and compare it to the rest of China. This is going to be the big bang. The Chinese will fork over the cash and provide the vacationers.

• Minion

ORGOCH: Hmpf!! I went an' conjured up that same site inside the ol' crystal ball an' didn't see a single swamp er frog no-where's!! How in the heck is they gonna' attract folks without FROGS?!?!

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

^WHATEVER....

Can anyone post a map?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer
    ^WHATEVER....

Can anyone post a map?
    ditto that...

Was just reading on another site that:

"...insiders said the government has already set aside land for the park in Pudong's Chuansha area.

The site, which is 6 kilometers from Pudong International Airport, covers about 1,000 hectares, compared with Hong Kong Disneyland's 126 hectares, according to Chuansha's land-use planning blueprint. "
    Here is a map that kind of gives an idea where that area is located (I think). Trying to find something a little bit better...:

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Thanks, so it's in the Pudong area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast