• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Disney plans strategy for crowd control (FastPass) - The Standard - March 25, 2006

Disney plans strategy for crowd control

A Hong Kong Disneyland committee has come up with three suggestions to avoid serious overcrowding problems, and the park is "actively considering" which of them to implement, a spokeswoman said.

A Hong Kong Disneyland committee has come up with three suggestions to avoid serious overcrowding problems, and the park is "actively considering" which of them to implement, a spokeswoman said.

The solutions include creating a "fast pass" system that will encourage visitors to enter the park at staggered times.

The park may also "dispatch" guests to its Inspiration Lake so they can take pictures. It is also considering hiring more staff to entertain guests while they wait in the humidity and heat.

"We are enhancing our in-park procedures just in case crowds gather outside the park or overcrowding situations happen," said Glendy Chu, media relations manager for Disney.

Chu said that the instructions to modify the park's logistical operations on busy days did not come from the government.

"It's our initiative. We have to proactively deal with measures," she said Friday.
    [...]
    "When [the park] is going to reach capacity we might hand out something like a pass, [which] will advise the visitors to come at a designated time," Chu said.

She said it would not be called a "fast pass," but it works like one, allowing entry only during specific hours.

"We are also considering finding additional manpower and additional cast members to help the guests to answer any of their inquiries and to help explain the situation to them," she said.
    More...

So, in the words of a great philosopher: any thoughts? Questions? Comments?
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

Re: Disney plans strategy for crowd control (FastPass) - The Standard - March 25, 2006

A Fastpass for the park entrance. Sounds like disaster, if you ask me. The only thing worse than angry people waiting inside the park is angry people waiting outside the park's gate.

• Banned User

Re: Disney plans strategy for crowd control (FastPass) - The Standard - March 25, 2006

If they're really having these problems and it's not just made-up by the media - they need to add an area and fast.

I think they could probably find a backstage gate, open it, throw up a tent in a CM parking lot or something, toss up some themed walls, and put on a show of some sort.

• Minion

ORDDU: This Fast Pass idea isn't clear enough for us in Morva to understand exactly how it would work. In any case, my sisters and I agree with KNRG that new attractions need to be added and added FAST. If they had more for guests to do inside the park, then they might not have to turn away quite so many.

ORGOCH: Well, Good Lord! Why ain't they already gone ahead an told ev'rybody what rides they's gonna' be addin' and how soon ta expect 'em?

ORWEN: That's what I want to know. Extra cast members and characters added for live entertainment seems more of a distraction from the main problem they're facing, more than anything else. Surely they have it in their budget to add a SMALL WORLD by now?

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva
    Surely they have it in their budget to add a SMALL WORLD by now?
    At this rate, it sounds as though they'll need a much BIGGER WORLD

I agree with the comment posted here. An ideal solution is to add more 'lands' rather than more attractions. Additional attractions would be just as much of a distraction as extra cast members, especially if they aren't using space to its maximum. Mind you, a few extra attractions would ease the lines for the existing attractions.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Banned User

I posted another thread with the attendance predictions for AK saying it will exceed its previous peak numbers by 10,000 guests per day during the Easter holiday perod.

The thing is, AK was perviously closing to capacity during Easter, so where do 10k more people go and how do they fit?

Apparently Everest allows that. The bridge, the shop, the extra walkways and queue, apparently allow for 10,000 more people in the park per day, despite the fact they they also recently closed the Theater in the Wild which had a large capacity.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Dear. God.

Tell me this is all a joke???? You have got to be f'n kidding me. Send them to inspiration lake to take photos???? Doesn't that suck for anyone who came to ride rides. Stagger entering (pretty much a permanant capacity closure)...oh dear god. Granted they cannot admit they need more rides, and can't comment about new things tillt he budget is ok'd and it's good to go but who incharge of this park could possibly be buying what they are saying...and if they do...they need to go.

If they are so worried about capacity that they want to FastPass entering they obviously need more rides (capacity). I mean WDS is getting more capacity and it can't even fill up with people at all.

Wow. And they want to build in Shanghai? Isn't one Chinese joke enough for everybody?

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis
    Additional attractions would be just as much of a distraction as extra cast members, especially if they aren't using space to its maximum. Mind you, a few extra attractions would ease the lines for the existing attractions.
    No a new land would open things up, but not provide as much capacity. A new land of people wandering around won't hold as many people as a controlled environment (ie a full line and a full capacity ride). Rides are needed for the people and for the "draw". Toontown v. Everest. Same price, maybe even same capacity (neither one is true but work with me). Which has a better draw? The ride.

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    Tell me this is all a joke???? You have got to be f'n kidding me. Send them to inspiration lake to take photos???? Doesn't that suck for anyone who came to ride rides. Stagger entering (pretty much a permanant capacity closure)...oh dear god. Granted they cannot admit they need more rides, and can't comment about new things tillt he budget is ok'd and it's good to go but who incharge of this park could possibly be buying what they are saying...and if they do...they need to go.

If they are so worried about capacity that they want to FastPass entering they obviously need more rides (capacity). I mean WDS is getting more capacity and it can't even fill up with people at all.
    Let's all calm down a minute. Sounds like these are all interim plans to deal with the problem, not the long term solutions. New attractions can't be built by Easter or this Summer, so there has to be a plan to deal with it now. New attractions are more than likely on the way...just because they haven't announced a new attraction in the past 6 months beyond the in-construction Autopia doesn't mean they aren't working on them.

BTW, the park is packed every day, only on holidays On most days there is no problem getting in...

Quote Originally Posted by Kronk
    Let's all calm down a minute. Sounds like these are all interim plans to deal with the problem, not the long term solutions. New attractions can't be built by Easter or this Summer, so there has to be a plan to deal with it now. New attractions are more than likely on the way...just because they haven't announced a new attraction in the past 6 months beyond the in-construction Autopia doesn't mean they aren't working on them.

BTW, the park is packed every day, only on holidays On most days there is no problem getting in...
    But still it really doesn't seem like they're moving fast enough on this. Disney has got to get serious with this park. Announcing three new weak "attractions" isn't going to cut it.

• Minion

ORDDU: Although it hasn't been officially announced, yet, my sisters and I just read--on another web-footed site--that It's a Small World is already being worked on 'behind the scenes' with a target opening planned for some time in 2007. We shall see...

• HKDL is in my timezone!

Re: Disney plans strategy for crowd control (FastPass) - The Standard - March 25, 200

Well there's the 3 "attractions" openning this summer, I assume after June when the local "2nd visit free" promotion ends, all in Tomorrowland which is a start.
    Autopia should have large capacity, and Stitch might hold a few hundred in one show; with hopefully 2 auditoriums and queue that's a few more people. I'm not sure if they can really increase capcity with that "UFO" zone, as there isn't really any more space available to people because of it.

If we look at Tom Morris' comments in Alain's article last year, he hints that we can at least see more minor attractions next year if the Small World rumour doesn't come true:
    Now, we've already decided on smaller attractions that will open up in 2006 and 2007, and the only one that's been announced so far is the "Autopia," the first "all-electric" Autopia. In addition there will be three or four smaller attractions in the next two years, that will bring to the park a variety of different guest needs, such as interactivity and high-tech technology, and that sort of thing. But we have not decided yet which of the bigger attraction we are going to do for 2008, 2009 or 2010. Certainly a few of the favorite ones are the ones which are the most discussed.
    If we count Stitch and the UFO Zone as 2 of the "three or four" smaller attractions, we could see 2 more next year, hopefully coupled with another larger attraction launch (ie. IASW).

Although this short term "fastpass" staggered entry idea sucks, there are definately things in the pipeline to increase capacity.

As has been pointed out, on normal days capacity is not an issue, it only seems to be the fact that most Chinese all go on holiday at the same time, causing HUGE problems on a few select days every year. This situation may not be enough to sway the accountants to fund new rides, if on average the situation is fine...

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I were surprised to learn that the Stitch Talk attraction will actually be a rather small theatre that is to be housed within the Space Mountain cone. Apparently they have just enough room, there, for a side-dish attraction such as this one. But the capacity isn't really all that high--if we are to believe what we've read.

ORWEN: There's also some space left over inside the Buzz Lightyear attraction that's got some sort of future attraction planned there. It's a Small World is to be built to the left of Fantasy Gardens and will--most likely--straddle the train tracks.

ORDDU: Supposedly there are two more 'pads' left for attractions in Fantasyland. One would share the same building that houses Winnie the Pooh, while the other one is located in the same building that currently houses Mickey's Philharmagic. But, here again, we shall see...

• HKDL is in my timezone!

Re: Disney plans strategy for crowd control (FastPass) - The Standard - March 25, 200

Inside Space Mountain?
    Maybe theres some more room around the back part that isn't really visible to the public? I had automatically assumed that the extra space in Buzz would be getting used for Stitch.

It will be annoying if the capacity is small as there are 3 languages that it will presented in, so if there's only 1 auditorium there may be rather long waits for the less popular languages, unless they are going to schedule it like a show, so people know when to be there, or fastpass?

We shall see...

Quote Originally Posted by V1213
    Inside Space Mountain?
    Maybe theres some more room around the back part that isn't really visible to the public? I had automatically assumed that the extra space in Buzz would be getting used for Stitch.

It will be annoying if the capacity is small as there are 3 languages that it will presented in, so if there's only 1 auditorium there may be rather long waits for the less popular languages, unless they are going to schedule it like a show, so people know when to be there, or fastpass?

We shall see...
    I was under that impression too...it would be going in Buzz...didn't think anything would fit in Space.
    But all these expansion pads are fine and dandy...if they'll just put them to use.
    As has been pointed out, on normal days capacity is not an issue, it only seems to be the fact that most Chinese all go on holiday at the same time, causing HUGE problems on a few select days every year. This situation may not be enough to sway the accountants to fund new rides, if on average the situation is fine...
    Well here is the issue with that...those fine days don't make the news. Bad news about over crowding and throwing kids over the fence a few days a year hurt Disney more than having an empty park 350 days of the year.

No they don't sound like long term solutions but honestly I'm gonna rehash here and say they never should have been put in this position. Yes new rides take time, but they could work on them faster, they could have had things ready to go sooner. Even building at this size they could have had more planned out and ready to go (like Autopia). They just don't seem to be in that "mode".
    They are adding "3" things, 2 of which will add capacity. They'd not come across as so stupid if they said "we have this and this on the way to ease crowding", not saying "we'll stagger enter times"...which if I might add could end up not working unless people leave. If you are packed at 10am and no one leaves by the noon enterance time, then what? Or do you force people through and out of the park?

ORDDU: Although it hasn't been officially announced, yet, my sisters and I just read--on another web-footed site--that It's a Small World is already being worked on 'behind the scenes' with a target opening planned for some time in 2007. We shall see...
    Heard that too...I'd like to see them build something so large in a year...they better get started. It's needed.
    Last edited by tloolgb; 03-25-2006 at 11:40 AM.