• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Which Languege is most used

Just out of interest out of the three official langueges Hong Kong Disneyland uses which one is the most used by guest ?

Cantonese, Putonghua, or English

• Minion FOREVER!

Re: Which Languege is most used

Probably depends on the day of the week and holiday....

During the big holidays, weekends: putonghua
    Weekdays and local holidays (from HK British days): cantonese

Complete guess though.... maybe one of the chatters from HK would
    know.... or at least have an opinion.

• Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by nish221
    Probably depends on the day of the week and holiday....

During the big holidays, weekends: putonghua
    Weekdays and local holidays (from HK British days): cantonese

Complete guess though.... maybe one of the chatters from HK would
    know.... or at least have an opinion.
    i believe that for Mainland National Holiday (e.g. Golden Weeks of May, October, Chinese New Year/Spring Festival) - Putonghua

For Local Hong Kong Holidays (chinese and British traditional, e.g Easter, Christmas, New Year, Mid-Autumn Festival, Dragon Boat Festival etc) - Cantonese

I still see a mix of Putonghua (Mandarin) and Cantonese spoken on Weekdays/Weekend.

• Winter in Oceanside...

Would an English-only speaking person have a tough time? I haven't been to HKG since the handover in 1997. I didn't have too many problems then (unless I went up the the New Territories).

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY
    Would an English-only speaking person have a tough time? I haven't been to HKG since the handover in 1997. I didn't have too many problems then (unless I went up the the New Territories).
    I haven't been to HKDL but english is widley understood in Hong Kong, I think its an official language even. I was there last summer with a friend from hong kong(cantonese) and a friend from taiwan(mandarin)/taiwanese), they speak english to each other. not sure if this is common but I thought it was interesting.

• HKDL is in my timezone!

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessY
    When I visited in January we had no problems at all with language. All the Cast Members spoke English and all signage is part in English.
    Even the Lion King show was in English, save a few lines spoken by the monkeys as a way of translating the English dialogue and songs into Cantonese(?) for the locals.

The Golden Mickeys were "hosted" in Chinese (not sure which one), but all the songs were in English, as well as the signs and props. Being an awards show, the words the host said weren't really that important and it was fun to hear her talk to "Mike-ay" and "Mine-ay", and their strange (to me as an anglophone) Chinese accents!

Other than the Golden Mickeys, EVERYTHING is in English (this includes the limited dialogue in Phillarmagic) and the commentary on the train and during the fireworks.

We kind of felt sorry for the locals as it was so English-oriented!

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongDisneyland
    i believe that for Mainland National Holiday (e.g. Golden Weeks of May, October, Chinese New Year/Spring Festival) - Putonghua

For Local Hong Kong Holidays (chinese and British traditional, e.g Easter, Christmas, New Year, Mid-Autumn Festival, Dragon Boat Festival etc) - Cantonese

I still see a mix of Putonghua (Mandarin) and Cantonese spoken on Weekdays/Weekend.
    Thanks, HKDL!

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Interesting sounds like most people who visit know English anyway at Hong Kong Disneyland so it don't really leave them at a disadvantage,when it comes to attractions.

Do you see many people ride the English version of the Jungle Cruise,at the parks ?

• Stop That!

Do you see many people ride the English version of the Jungle Cruise, at the parks ?
    I was in Hong Kong last week, and visited HKDL a couple of times (weekdays). Most people queued up in the Cantonese line, but the English boats we noticed always seemed full (I suppose it's possible some of them rode the English version just to avoid the line).

The Putonghua line, however, was closed both days.