• Stop That!

Hong Kong Mickey!

Just a question about some of the Mickey Mouse (and friends) merchandise at Hong Kong...

They have a whole collection of items all throughout the park featuring really cute characters (big round heads, no mouth) which I really hadn't seen anywhere else. I was curious if these are park specific, or are they as ubiquitous in the US parks as they are in HK?

Here's a link with pics (scroll down to the "Cute Characters Pin Collection"):

http://www.dizpins.com/pinventory/ho...nd_opening.htm

They're just sooooo cute!

Re: Hong Kong Mickey!

Quote Originally Posted by BoogaFrito
    Just a question about some of the Mickey Mouse (and friends) merchandise at Hong Kong...

They have a whole collection of items all throughout the park featuring really cute characters (big round heads, no mouth) which I really hadn't seen anywhere else. I was curious if these are park specific, or are they as ubiquitous in the US parks as they are in HK?

Looks very Sanrio'ish

• WDW FAN

those have become popular at WDW recently....plush, pins, etc.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Looks like I should start putting some pennies aside for buying merch in September...
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by BoogaFrito

Booga, the "Cute Character" line of merchandise... (pins, plushes, tee shirts and other stuff carrying the cute character motif, such as stationary and other printed merchandise) made it's debut and was already on sale at HKDL during the preview days that led to the grand opening last Sept. This "CUTE" line was launched in HKDL before any other park... and has been introduced at WDW and DLR since last november or so. Same pins, plushes, tees etc etc.. Only difference is...ours has the WDW or DLR (depending what resort you buy it at) and theirs read HKDL since they debuted.

• Having a Grand Day!

I'm not a big fan of them, but I guess if they are selling well, they are here to stay.

• Why do you keep talking?

The site seems to be down for me, is it just the Disney Cuties? We sell a lot of that stuff at Target. I like it, kinda the Disney take on Hello Kitty.
    "Tonight I wash my hands of you
    You set the bar I could not live up to
    Tonight the light is breaking through
    So thank you very little and send me postcards from hell"
    Zebrahead

• Stop That!

Quote Originally Posted by Hector
    is it just the Disney Cuties?
    No, they're different than the "Disney Cuties" line; they're a bit simpler in design, more stylized (almost like South Park characters).

Some people will object to anything straying from the traditional Mickey look, but to me that design has been tainted in recent years from the old management's unfortunate attempts to be "hip" and connect with a younger crowd (X-TREEEEME MICKEY!! ). Plus a lot of the newer incarnations seem divorced from any personality we know of Mickey from his early cartoons...

But I really like the more basic look of these new designs. They have a simplicity about them that's appealingly innocent (especially the frazzled, angry Donald) and far removed from the recent embarrassments.

And for what it's worth, I almost never had an interest in buying Disney character merchandise before. But when I saw this new look, I bought all kinds of things for me, my family and my friends. The shirt with the cute little Mickey and Pluto standing together, heads slightly tilted with the words "I Heart My Dog" almost brought a tear to my eye...

• Vehicle rotating backward

Quote Originally Posted by gwbeachjr
    those have become popular at WDW recently....plush, pins, etc.
    While I like the round plush, these things in the first link look pretty bad to me. That Donald just looks wrong.

• I was deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    While I like the round plush, these things in the first link look pretty bad to me. That Donald just looks wrong.
    Yes, I'm not too fond of them either.

Thanks TDLFAN for sharing your knowledge to make us all smarter. And I also like these, somewhat. I like the Donald the most I guess and the pins for the most part are cute. I still haven't decided on any of the round plush characters or styles (sad, I know!) because they're just so out there. I love these more than any "X-treme Mickey," etc. attempts that have been made to try to make kids think of them as cool. If anything this allows the regular young Princess fan to decide to buy a Mickey or Minnie pin too or instead of the zillionth Princess which means yay to DDG! (Once slightly modified Princess pin to create! ) Or at least, that's what I've noticed on the young girls with all Princess pins except these on their lanyards.

• Former Epcot CM

I love this merchandise line. I wouldn't traditionally take home souvenirs from it, I would take more WDW-based things, but they are cute to look at and I'd have a few pins and pens.

Anyone got any pix of X-Treme Mickey? Or any other incarnations?

PS I've recently been thinking about like a sort of Power Rangers version of the Princesses... wait, give me a minute ... uniforms in the colours of their dresses and all, etc... I think the premise is a load of rubbish but I'd like to see what they looked like! All actionified and martial arty.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California