Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Food@HKDL?

  1. #1

    • Minion FOREVER!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Campbell, CA
    Posts
    3,023

    Food@HKDL?

    I just saw a show on Food Network by the company that makes churros
    for Disney and how they were suprised how well churros did in TDR.
    (albeit with different flavorings).

    That got me thinking...

    Is there any food item that you would think would do well in HKDL that's
    not sold now?

    BTW. do they sell churros there? Dole Whips? Churros aren't that far from
    Yeou Tiu (sorry for the bad romanization).

  2. #2

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: Food@HKDL?

    Quote Originally Posted by nish221
    Is there any food item that you would think would do well in HKDL that's
    not sold now?
    I think Churros and Dole Whips would be a great addition to HKDL's food cart menus. At the present time...besides different types of popsicles (milk tea is my fab) and popcorn, fruit juice choices (love the mango and watermelon ones) and some authentic chinese snacks... not much else is found that is already a hit in the US and Tokyo parks. You got to understand the menu at HKDL is very chinese in style and designed for those guests in mind. Very little is found by ways of western food. The Bakery on Main Street is great though... lots of pastries and sugar/fattening items to eat there. But no churros or Dole whips which are unique to the MK as far as I know due to Dole sponsorship issues... but I mat be wrong about this.

  3. #3

    • Internet.Serious Business
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities
    Posts
    4,824

    Re: Food@HKDL?

    Well MK and Disneyland has Dole Whips too. Very sad. Everyone needs Dole Whips.

  4. #4

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: Food@HKDL?

    Concidering HKDL has the most humid and hottest weather in the summertime... a Dole Whip would be a given.

  5. #5

    • Minion FOREVER!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Campbell, CA
    Posts
    3,023

    Re: Food@HKDL?

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    I think Churros and Dole Whips would be a great addition to HKDL's food cart menus. At the present time...besides different types of popsicles (milk tea is my fab) and popcorn, fruit juice choices (love the mango and watermelon ones) and some authentic chinese snacks... not much else is found that is already a hit in the US and Tokyo parks. You got to understand the menu at HKDL is very chinese in style and designed for those guests in mind. Very little is found by ways of western food.
    Yes, that's what I've heard as well. But I think they're selling the "Hong Konger"s
    short on this front. They're pretty adventurous food wise. Of course, they also
    do target the Mainland as well who aren't.

    For example, I think corndogs could do pretty well. Same with Funnel cakes.
    Probably different sauces though.

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    The Bakery on Main Street is great though... lots of pastries and sugar/fattening items to eat there. But no churros or Dole whips which are unique to the MK as far as I know due to Dole sponsorship issues... but I may be wrong about this.
    No Dole whips?!? You would think Dole would be ecstatic to get free advertisement. I completely agree that Dole whips should be perfect
    for HKDL. Actually, they should be able to create "mango" whips as well!
    (I think Dole also sells/imports Mangos)...

  6. #6

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    28

    Re: Food@HKDL?

    Hong Kong people tend not to be as into sugary-sweet desserts as we are in the US. Common desserts are things like Red Bean soup or items with seseme paste...both sweet, but not sugary. Things like Donuts, heavy frosting cakes, chocolaty deserts are much less common. I think churros wouldn't do so well.

    Dole-whips on the other hand would be a God-send. Try the chocolate sesame ice cream in Adventureland...excellent...

  7. #7

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    373

    Re: Food@HKDL?

    The best of the flavored churros at Tokyo Disneyland is the honey-lemon flavor which I bought at a stand in Tommorowland. It was incredibly delicious. I haven't had a lot of good food experiences in Hong Kong, Shenzhen, and Shanghai, so I'm a bit dubious about the food at Hong Kong Disneyland--where I hope to go at the end of September on a swing through the Far East.

  8. #8

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: Food@HKDL?

    I am not all that crazy about HKDL's food options either. As for Churros...if you ever find yourself at Universal Japan....try their chocolate churros. To die for I tell you!!!

  9. #9

    • Minion FOREVER!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Campbell, CA
    Posts
    3,023

    Re: Food@HKDL?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Goddess Mara
    The best of the flavored churros at Tokyo Disneyland is the honey-lemon flavor which I bought at a stand in Tommorowland. It was incredibly delicious. I haven't had a lot of good food experiences in Hong Kong, Shenzhen, and Shanghai, so I'm a bit dubious about the food at Hong Kong Disneyland--where I hope to go at the end of September on a swing through the Far East.
    Hmmm, That actually sounds pretty good. In fact, I'll bet that they can do pretty
    well selling them near Pooh in DL!

    TDLFAN: those chocolate churros sound even better! I vaguely remember hearing of them somewhere else (not in DL).

  10. #10

    • Oh my Goodness!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    I'm comin' home!!
    Posts
    2,705

    Red Face Re: Food@HKDL?

    Yeah, one of the biggest disappointments about HKDL for me was NO churros! I felt incompleate all day. BUT the coconut milk popcorn was pretty darn good. I also liked the tempura at the Royal Court restruant (is that what it's called?). Over all I enjoyed the food. And I was pleasently pleased w/ the prices compaired to DL!

  11. #11

    • Sock Puppet
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    The real question is, where are you?
    Posts
    52

    Re: Food@HKDL?

    People probably are constipulated by the time they leave HKDL.

  12. #12

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: Food@HKDL?

    Quote Originally Posted by cpdisneyprincess
    I also liked the tempura at the Royal Court restruant (is that what it's called?).
    You mean, the Royal Banquet Hall in Fantasyland.

  13. #13

    • Oh my Goodness!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    I'm comin' home!!
    Posts
    2,705

    Red Face Re: Food@HKDL?

    Yeah that's what i mean. I like the atmophere.

  14. #14

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    14,940

    Re: Food@HKDL?

    It is the loveliest of restaurants at HKDL... reason why I spent some time there and took photos of just about every hanging and fresco on the walls... Lovely place.

  15. #15

    • Oh my Goodness!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    I'm comin' home!!
    Posts
    2,705

    Red Face Re: Food@HKDL?

    Yeah! I spent half my time there walking around taking pictures. I loved all the pictures of the princesses w/ their princes on the wall. They should sell those, very pretty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-28-2009, 08:17 PM
  2. Will Work For Food - Adam Gertler from the Next Food Network Star
    By NeverNeverland in forum Disney Media Networks and TV Industry Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-26-2009, 05:30 PM
  3. Guy Fieri from the Food Network invades DCA Food & Wine Festival
    By CinderellaPrincess in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 05-01-2008, 08:16 PM
  4. Knotts Food Vs. Disney Food
    By PLAZAINN1 in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-14-2007, 09:20 PM
  5. NEW VP at HKDL gave a hint that HKDL will be expanded, HKDLR
    By HongKongDisneyland in forum Hong Kong Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-06-2006, 08:49 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •