• Watch Your Language

Bug-filled Disney water ignites law call, HK Standard News, 2006-8-1

Legislators want the government to establish a new hygiene benchmark for amusement parks after a report accused Disney's new water attraction of containing excessive bacteria at an "astonishing level."

Test results from a government- accredited laboratory indicated bacteria found in a sample taken by a newspaper reporter at Disneyland's UFO Zone attraction on July 21 was 5,000 times the current standard for swimming pools.

The E.coli bacteria was also found in the water sample.

Disney director of park operations Andrew Bolstein would not comment on the report other than to say the park's weekly tests show water quality is safe. The theme park conducted four tests since UFO Zone opened on July 13 using another government-accredited laboratory, including one just an hour before the test reported by Ta Kung Pao newspaper.
    "All of our tests met safety standards," Bolstein said.

The results from Disney's tests showed the water at UFO Zone contained less than one colony forming unit per 100 milliliters of E.coli and contained less than 200 cfu/ml of other bacteria, Bolstein added.
    No complaint had been received from visitors since the attraction opened, he said.

A Food and Environmental Hygiene Department spokesman said water quality at UFO Zone was not regulated by any law.

"Current laws only regulate drinking water and swimming pools. UFO Zone is none of them," the spokesman said. Disney's government-issued license requires that the attractions are clean without giving standards, he said.
    The Legislative Council's food safety and environmental hygiene panel chairman, Fred Li Wah-ming, said: "The government should set a new standard to regulate this kind of attraction."
    The FEHD spokesman said it will consider setting up a new standard after it discusses the situation with Disney.
    Source : HK Standard News

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Re: Bug-filled Disney water ignites law call, HK Standard News, 2006-8-1

Test results from a government- accredited laboratory indicated bacteria found in a sample taken by a newspaper reporter at Disneyland's UFO Zone attraction on July 21 was 5,000 times the current standard for swimming pools.
    Here is the issue. The Lab didn't take it's sample itself. It was taken by a reporter...and who knows what happened to it on the way to the lab.

• Parmageddon Jim

Anyone else reminded of Disneyland's former "Cosmic Bidet?"
    So full of Disney Magic, my eyes are blue.

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by Gn2Dlnd
    Anyone else reminded of Disneyland's former "Cosmic Bidet?"
    Totally. It was nasty seeing little girls squat over that thing.

Maybe UFO in this case stands for "unidentified fecal objects"?
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• I Hug My Tapirs

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    Here is the issue. The Lab didn't take it's sample itself. It was taken by a reporter...and who knows what happened to it on the way to the lab.
    Bingo. It's so easy for samples to become contaminated along the way. Speaking as someone who was a biology grad and now works at a biomedical facility, I can tell you that extreme measures are taken to keep samples from becoming contaminated, and I highly doubt "a reporter" went too far out of their way for that kind of control, especially if they were trying to do it surreptitiously.
    "I don't need intelligent drugs because I don't know what they are. But I will put anything into my mouth that is given to me, whether it's supposed to go there or not. Because... I'm different."

• The Useless Prince

Blog Entries

water play thingys....really are a useless thing....but I think it is the reporters trying to ruin the HK park

• Prefect

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by xfkirsten
    Bingo. It's so easy for samples to become contaminated along the way. Speaking as someone who was a biology grad and now works at a biomedical facility, I can tell you that extreme measures are taken to keep samples from becoming contaminated, and I highly doubt "a reporter" went too far out of their way for that kind of control, especially if they were trying to do it surreptitiously.
    My thoughts exactly. Well,actually, my first thought was "EWWWW."
    <o>