Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• JML

Re: Comments from Disney CEO on Shanghai Disney Theme Park and HKDL,Reuters,2006-8-9

I am very sad to hear this. I really do not nderstand why they are not hiring locals or, at least, people who know what they are talking about...

My best friend is from Hong kong and she basically told me that she would NEVER go to HKDL. Why? Well, because it is so darn expensive! She mentioned another park which is much better (Ocean something...). She also added that HKDL is known to be way too small (especially for its price).

It is actually very interesting because, in his book Hop!, Philippe Bourguignon, former DLRP CEO, explains that when he started, he realized quickly that they needed 14 million guests per year to survive (without making any profit). The problem was that the park was designed to accomodate only 12 (and, btw, they had only 9 millions...). What a enormous mistake! I do not understand why nobody was fired for making such an obvious error...

I am like you. I simply do not understand what is going on there. It is beyond me.

One question though. What good can those two guys (Holz and Kalogridis) do for Paris? I am concerned for my favorite resort...
    Jeanmi

• Banned User

Re: Comments from Disney CEO on Shanghai Disney Theme Park and HKDL,Reuters,2006-8-9

Why was nobody fired for making a decision to build a park that needs more customers than it can possibly hold to make a profit? Because the idiot who made the decision was the boss: Michael Eisner. Look how long it took to get that pinhead out of the company!

Quote Originally Posted by jml338
    I am very sad to hear this. I really do not nderstand why they are not hiring locals or, at least, people who know what they are talking about...

My best friend is from Hong kong and she basically told me that she would NEVER go to HKDL. Why? Well, because it is so darn expensive! She mentioned another park which is much better (Ocean something...). She also added that HKDL is known to be way too small (especially for its price).

It is actually very interesting because, in his book Hop!, Philippe Bourguignon, former DLRP CEO, explains that when he started, he realized quickly that they needed 14 million guests per year to survive (without making any profit). The problem was that the park was designed to accomodate only 12 (and, btw, they had only 9 millions...). What a enormous mistake! I do not understand why nobody was fired for making such an obvious error...

I am like you. I simply do not understand what is going on there. It is beyond me.

One question though. What good can those two guys (Holz and Kalogridis) do for Paris? I am concerned for my favorite resort...
    Absolutely nothing. They are the worst kind of executive bottom-feeders out there.

Now, will DLP 'appear' better in the next year?

Sure, just like DL was 'magically fixed' for its 50th ... but when the media and VIPs leave ... when the 15th is over ... what then?

A resort like DLP requires visionary leaders. Instead it has WalMart type leaders. They can talk a good game ... they can pump up numbers for a short period. But truly plan for the future? Lead?

These guys are lucky they can find a bathroom without someone holding their hands.

Understand, I DO have personal experiences with them. But also understand when I tell you they are lowlifes, I do have the experiences to know.

I hope Bob Iger gets the message.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    I hope Bob Iger gets the message.
    I'm beginning to have serious doubts that he's capable of receiving it, given that he just lost one of the best resort leaders Disney has seen in decades, not to mention Rasulo's Globalization Gestapo (the Executive Committee) recently promoting one of their own into the WDW Presidency.

Iger admitted he didn't fully understand animation, so he purchased Pixar.

Iger admitted he didn't fully understand cruise lines or theme parks, so he relied a great deal on Ouimet's experience and guidance, often directly communicating with Matt without Rasulo's participation. However, instead of putting Ouimet in charge of Parks and Resorts, which would have been the most practical thing Iger could have done, he allowed Rasulo's power grabs to march forward, thereby minimizing Ouimet's contributions not just for Anaheim, but for the P&R business unit overall.

Matt bailed for greener pastures, Rasulo became more entrenched with appointing Meg as WDW President, and Iger sits up in the Dopey Building, allowing Chinese negotiations continue their slow decline.

Has it occurred to anyone yet that perhaps most folks' concerns last year about Iger replacing Eisner were actually not unfounded?

"Dope smoking insects and reckless driving always work." -- Cousin Orville

• Minion

ORGOCH: 'Course it did. But things got so bad an' ev'rybody was so desp'rate ta git ol' Mikey outta there, nothin' else seemed ta matter at the time. But this cauldron gal was never sold on Iger, neither. He's just an Ei$ner 'yes man', after all!

• Creative Director

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy
    I'm beginning to have serious doubts that he's capable of receiving it, given that he just lost one of the best resort leaders Disney has seen in decades, not to mention Rasulo's Globalization Gestapo (the Executive Committee) recently promoting one of their own into the WDW Presidency.

Iger admitted he didn't fully understand animation, so he purchased Pixar.

Iger admitted he didn't fully understand cruise lines or theme parks, so he relied a great deal on Ouimet's experience and guidance, often directly communicating with Matt without Rasulo's participation. However, instead of putting Ouimet in charge of Parks and Resorts, which would have been the most practical thing Iger could have done, he allowed Rasulo's power grabs to march forward, thereby minimizing Ouimet's contributions not just for Anaheim, but for the P&R business unit overall.

Matt bailed for greener pastures, Rasulo became more entrenched with appointing Meg as WDW President, and Iger sits up in the Dopey Building, allowing Chinese negotiations continue their slow decline.

Has it occurred to anyone yet that perhaps most folks' concerns last year about Iger replacing Eisner were actually not unfounded?

Well, then why isn't someone getting the message to him?!
    I don't think of the folks at Pixar, or John Lassiter himself, as the savior for all things Disney, but I would think with some of them (who are very passionate about the parks) would get the message to at least John (who is also VERY passionate about the parks), who could then at least get the message to Bob over a lunch date?
    are you telling me that John Lassiter can't see what is going on with Parks and Resorts and WDI? again, I know he can't save everything (though I still have his back), but I would think he would bring this stuff up at one of his little chats with Bob Iger. eh?

• Creative Director

How long can Jay, Al, and their other followers really hold onto their jobs?
    I mean, sooner or later, something unfortunate is going to happen, and somebody is going to have to go!
    whether that be China negotiations go down the drain completely, someone getting hurt or killed (god forbid) and the parks due to cost cutting, DLP going down the drain financially even worse in the near future, and so on and so on.
    I mean, if the individual business units are supposed to take more responsibility (as Bob as stated), then sooner or later, someone is going to have to face the consequences. It should lie right at the top with you know who! C'mon Bob, put your words into practice.

and lets get WDI out of the P&R Division, and make it independent, within the WDC.

oh, and this little executive committee Jay has setup looks like Strategic Planning all over again. You know, some people never learn. they only end up doing what they know how to do.

-god, ok, enough of my rambling! sorry, =)

The obvious reason why Jay remains with Disney is simple: the numbers.

Disney's parks and resorts are coming off a great few years and it shows in the $$$. That's the bottom line. And even from a quality standpoint, if you just give things a surface, cursory, glance ... well, even there it 'appears' as if Disney's on its game. DL hasn't looked this good since the early 90s and the 50th celebration was an amazing success. WDW may be WalMarted, but Disney would point to PhilharMagic, Soarin, Everest, LMA, even Mission Space and the Pirates update to say it IS reinvesting in its domestic parks.

And with those aspects ... who is gonna look further ... and take a look in all the dirty little corners and crevices?

Of course, now Jay's in for a real challenge ... no major new attractions/additions have been announced, Disney has come up with a very lame Year of a Million Dreams marketing campaign, gas is at an all-time high, the specter of terrorism reared its ugly head again, and let's not even bring up China again.

But what do I know? Maybe celebrating Halloween for the first time in a decade with some pumpkins and decorations will pull those guests into DL just like those Princess and Pirate Parties are going to get people to visit WDW in the (relatively) slow mid-January to early March timeframe.

I just have my doubts ... big doubts. But even then, it doesn't mean Jay's a$$ will be history. Incompetence tends to get rewarded at Disney ... and most companies ... these days.

• Creative Director

^And government these days too! Federal and State level. I experienced the state level myself. =)

• враг народа

Blog Entries

"The buck stops at the offices downstairs."

I don't know too much about individuals at Disney, but what's to keep Rasulo and even Weiss from blaming the individual resort presidents? Now that I think about it, I have a slight feeling there may be some problems with some of the numbers of late. The presidency of Disneyland was filled the day of Matt's leaving and only now is Walt Disney World's being filled. Many claim Paul Pressler has succeeded by having superiors focused on short term gains and being around when his predecessor's long term plans finally come to fruition. Is it possible that Rassulo and Weiss saw the waters turning and needed to find some scapegoats?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    The obvious reason why Jay remains with Disney is simple: the numbers.

Disney's parks and resorts are coming off a great few years and it shows in the $$$. That's the bottom line. And even from a quality standpoint, if you just give things a surface, cursory, glance ... well, even there it 'appears' as if Disney's on its game. DL hasn't looked this good since the early 90s and the 50th celebration was an amazing success. WDW may be WalMarted, but Disney would point to PhilharMagic, Soarin, Everest, LMA, even Mission Space and the Pirates update to say it IS reinvesting in its domestic parks.

And with those aspects ... who is gonna look further ... and take a look in all the dirty little corners and crevices?

Of course, now Jay's in for a real challenge ... no major new attractions/additions have been announced, Disney has come up with a very lame Year of a Million Dreams marketing campaign, gas is at an all-time high, the specter of terrorism reared its ugly head again, and let's not even bring up China again.

But what do I know? Maybe celebrating Halloween for the first time in a decade with some pumpkins and decorations will pull those guests into DL just like those Princess and Pirate Parties are going to get people to visit WDW in the (relatively) slow mid-January to early March timeframe.

I just have my doubts ... big doubts. But even then, it doesn't mean Jay's a$$ will be history. Incompetence tends to get rewarded at Disney ... and most companies ... these days.
    I agree with what you have to say. The only thing slated for Disneyland Resort is (for sure) the submarines (and possibly) Midway Mania. Beyond that, nothing new is coming to Disneyland or California Adventure. But to match what you are saying, I'm sure they would go as far to say that they have added an all new Monorail fleet to Disneyland's Monorail System just to make it look like a major investment.

Walt Disney World has nothing coming except for (rumored) Midway Mania. Tokyo Disney has nothing planned (or does it?). The only resort that is cleverly investing is Disneyland Resort Paris. And only if the attraction roster and refurbishments lined up for the park work the way they aniticipate, it will do good for the Paris resort. And oh! Hong Kong Disneyland has had nothing but trouble and not too long ago did someone announce that it will only add attractions at a slow pace when the competition is clearly beating it out, the audience isn't buying it, and the numbers are obviously falling short. Stich Encounter doesn't really count as a major investment in the park, but is instead a cheap "quick fix." Now they want to open a park in Shanghai when reclamation hasn't even been finished for the 2nd Hong Kong gate.

They are getting way in over there heads and Rasulo thinks that a marketing campaign is the only answer. But let me tell you, I know for a fact that if Disney put the plans out on the table and ordered new signature E-ticket attractions and enhancements for each resort, not only would the hype see a positive response, the world would go crazy once major expansions began enticing visitors to come once again to their parks. I'm sorry, but a free churro ain't going to do sh** for no one.
    Last edited by DisneyMickey; 08-21-2006 at 07:50 PM.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyMickey
    Tokyo Disney has nothing planned (or does it?).
    Tokyo Disneyland is getting Monster's Inc: Hide and Boo Seek which will utilize similar technology to Midway Mania. They are also building the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O
    Tokyo Disneyland is getting Monster's Inc: Hide and Boo Seek which will utilize similar technology to Midway Mania. They are also building the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel.
    It is not hard to understand why Disney has very different attitude towards the expansion in TDL and HKDL.

The more attractions / resorts TDL builds the more revenue WDI can be generated from OLC. Unlike HKDL, the expansion in TDL is funded by 100% non Disney money.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12