Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Nutty about Disney parks

Ideas for Hong Kong Disney's 2nd gate park

Since it seems like Disney is pretty bent on making a second gate park for Hong Kong Disneyland as they have done with the others, what kind of park do you think they should make or at least what do you think it's going to be? Knowing Disney we'll probably expect a third incarnation of a Disney Studios park like in Orlando or Paris (hopefully it will be better than the paris one at least).

My idea? Seeing as there is no frontierland in the Disneyland park, it sounds like a good idea if their second gate was an all american theme park where you get to visit different regions and historical eras in the US. I dunno if that will go well as a Chinese theme park. my second option would be a Westcot like they were gonna plan for California. Coming up with new Disney parks is pretty hard stuff if ya ask me.

Ideas?

• Minion

Re: Ideas for Hong Kong Disney's 2nd gate park

ORGOCH: Well, heck! They ain't even gone an' finished carryin' out the ideas they got fer the FIRST park over there! So ain't it a might early ta be talkin' 'bout a second park? 'Til them goomers git off their duffs an' start doin' what they's s'posed ta be doin' with Ping Pong Dizzyland, there ain't no use talkin' 'bout another Dizzy park.

ORWEN: Well, it's okay to talk about it. I just wouldn't plan on any new parks being built any time soon--not until they're finished building the first one. And the way they seem to keep finding excuses for putting off the attractions they were originally intending to build--such as Pirates of the Caribbean--things don't look too promising over there right now.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Oh boy. This second park is all people look forward too. How about enjoying the first one?

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb View Post
    Oh boy. This second park is all people look forward too. How about enjoying the first one?
    Agreed. If people don't attend the first park, then what incentive does Disney - as a business - have for investing MORE money into a project.

Of course, the flip side of that argument is that in order to attract more people to the park to justify the expenditure, you have to improve the park and make it worth going to. Spend money to make money, and all that. Bit of a catch-22, but one that every business has to deal with. AFter completing the Phase I Extension by 2008 (supposedly), the park should be able to handle about 10 million people annually.

However, given the current layout of the park, it is rumoured that if HKDL was to expand with more lands and attractions - even those lands that presently exist in other 'magic kingdoms' - then a second gate would appear to be the solution. To quote Wikipedia: "as the reclaimed land reserved for Phase 2 Extension and the Disneyland park are being blocked by Park Promenade (a pedestrian walkway which links the MTR Disneyland Resort Station, Disneyland park and Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel), it's expected that the resort's second Disney theme park will be built on that site".
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.” - Bill Hicks

Interesting question since Disney doesn't really have another "slam dunk" concept. Maybe they'll have to go outside the box and come up with simeting new. DisneySea would be too expensive, Epcot really can't find its identity, the Studios parks and DCA never really impressed the masses, and there isn't enough room for Animal Kingdom.
    Whatever will they do?

• The Fantasyland guy

Yay! another Disneysea! (It's only money! build a good product, and people will be wiling to pay for it!)

• ...TWO BITS!

A mix of EPCOT/WESTCOT and Animal Kingdom with a mix of narrative/mytical/fable/legnedary characters from different countries. Future World is replaced with an Animal Kingdom type atmosphere. Have real and fictional animals live in this Animal Kingdom that comes from the different countries represented in World Showcase. Then World Showcase could be as is but with more Disney characters and darkrides that take place in those countries. England- King Arthur, Robin Hood, Sherlock Holmes, Pooh, Great Mouse Detective, Mary Poppins, etc. Africa- Lion King, Tarzan. India- Jungle Book. China- Mulan. Canada- Brother Bear. etc etc.

Then perhaps in the back side of this park have a Valley of Villainy- the place where Disney villains hang out (and have their own attractions, shops, and restuarants).

I still haven't decided what to name it. Not sure if this type of park would appeal in China.

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    Yay! another Disneysea! (It's only money! build a good product, and people will be wiling to pay for it!)

Tokyo DisneySea cost a whopping 3 billion dollars, more than any other theme park before. Even Epcot, which is easily double the size, cost only a bit more than 1 billion. I'm sure they would rather put in something along the lines of Epcot, than go all out with their budget to build a DisneySea.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

Quote Originally Posted by filmfreak11 View Post
    A mix of EPCOT/WESTCOT and Animal Kingdom with a mix of narrative/mytical/fable/legnedary characters from different countries. Future World is replaced with an Animal Kingdom type atmosphere. Have real and fictional animals live in this Animal Kingdom that comes from the different countries represented in World Showcase. Then World Showcase could be as is but with more Disney characters and darkrides that take place in those countries. England- King Arthur, Robin Hood, Sherlock Holmes, Pooh, Great Mouse Detective, Mary Poppins, etc. Africa- Lion King, Tarzan. India- Jungle Book. China- Mulan. Canada- Brother Bear. etc etc.

Then perhaps in the back side of this park have a Valley of Villainy- the place where Disney villains hang out (and have their own attractions, shops, and restuarants).

I still haven't decided what to name it. Not sure if this type of park would appeal in China.
    I've been working on a similiar idea for a Disney park. Disney's Land of Legends. The hub would Atlantis (not themed to the Disney film) with giant pilliars and water effects. Lands would include the east (China, Japan, Thailand), middle east (Arabia, Egypt), Europe (England, France, Spain, Italy), the dark continent (Africa), Greece, and the New World (US, Canada, South America).

The park would centralize on the myths and legends of these regions, especially those who had not been explored by Disney.

Just a quick note,

reclamation of moe land to increase the size of the hong disneyland resort hs begun. a second gate is on the map and they are hoping to have it open around 2012.

The first park has several phases of growth already in development. the first new "e" ticket to open and start construction will be Its a small world.

just like Paris the contracts call for a second ate within certain amount of years. The first parks small size will be balanced with the second gate and future growth of both parks.

The entrance to the second gate will be opposite the entrance to the first gate. both entrances will face eachother like in anaheim.

Since it seems like Disney is pretty bent on making a second gate park for Hong Kong Disneyland as they have done with the others, what kind of park do you think they should make
    None, they probably aren't even going to hit their first attendance goal, it's ludicrous to build a second park which will more than definitely drag Hong Kong Disneyland's attendance even further down the drain.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

To me, the second gate needs to be something unique to that park.

Like it or hate it, DCA has its own distinctive California thing going for it. WDW has three parks (plus water parks) that can't be found elsewhere (although you could argue the Studios concept is used in two other places). DisneySea seems to top them all for originality.

I'd like to see something that is unique to Hong Kong in a second gate. Now, it is more than likely Hong Kong's second gate is going to be populated with things that should have been behind the first one. However, if they went with something completely different - Villains World or DisneyAir (with a 'above the clouds' theming that would probably allow them to use Soarin' or something similar) - then HKDL would start to carve out its own niche.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.” - Bill Hicks

• Nutty about Disney parks

Cool Re: Ideas for Hong Kong Disney's 2nd gate park

People! People! I am flattered that a topic I started got on the MiceChat Roundup this week, but I think some of you are going a little overboard. I am just surprised that such a thing has not been brought up before because if youve been reading up on future phases for Hong Kong Disneyland the "land for a second gate" has been brought up several times.

Like it or not, Disney seems insistent on making a second gate. I agree that it's all a bad idea myself. #1 Yes it's too early. #2 Hong Kong is a small area with few people who can afford to frequently visit theme parks. Leading to #3 China is not like the United States (in my opinion) they cant expect to build 3-4-5-or whatever as many Disney parks in that country and expect them to be full, especially since theyve had so many disastors with California Adventure and Studios Paris where people are richer.

We dont have that kind of power to get Disney to think more logically here. The whole point of this topic was to think what we would do if we were put in a type of situation where we have to think up more parks. After all Disney was put in a corner where they had to think up more animated feature blockbusters under Eisner. It was a hard feat that came crashing down just a few years back.

Point being, knowing that I have rambled on: think creatively from our own experiences about the Disney parks what would work as a second gate in Hong Kong. Maybe I went about my question the wrong way, but I still see Disney doing with Hong Kong what theyve done with their other resorts. They probably wont learn but WE can still have fun and imagine that we should be in charge of Disney!

• Minion FOREVER!

Beside the central point, but this is a popular misconception...

"#2 Hong Kong is a small area with few people who can afford to frequently visit theme parks"

HK population: 6.9 million
    Guandong population: 13 million

Guangdong is just north of Hong Kong. So there are a LOT of people that can
    be considered local.

Also...

HK's income per capita is $32K. Mainland China is only $6.8K, but rising
    rapidly. (9.9% increase 2005 est) and most likely, in Guangdong's is twice
    that even now.

So there's quite a few people that can easily come to HKDL and more that
    can by stretching a bit. And even more in the near future.

Most of the data from www.cia.gov. Googled the population for Guangdong.

• Watch Your Language

Hong Kong's population already reached 7 million in the middle of 2006.

Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Beijing and Shanghai are the 4 most important cities in Mainland China, whereas Hong Kong is one of 2 SAR (Special Administrative Region) of China. Macau is the other SAR.

Shenzhen is just the neighbouring city of Hong Kong. The population of Shenzhen varies, if you count the transient workers from other provinces residing in Shenzhen there might be around 13 million or more people.

So the population of Hong Kong and Shenzhen = 7million + 13 million = 21 million.

Shenzhen and Guangzhou are cities within the province of Gaungdong.

So Guangdong province already has 2 big important Mainland Cities, Shenzhen and Guangzhou. The population of Guangdong province is approx equal to or even slightly bigger than the whole of Germany!!!

I think the population of Guangdong province is around 100 million.

Germany's population is bigger than population of France.
    Last edited by HongKongDisneyland; 08-31-2006 at 12:09 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast