Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Why no Frontierland?

What is the official explanation for that one?

Because it was built cheaply. That place is way too small.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DBFan117
    Because it was built cheaply. That place is way too small.
    Heh.

During the design stage they actually had a frontierland set up but it was dropped due to Cutural reasons...In other words they didn't want to offend them...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by disneyray86
    During the design stage they actually had a frontierland set up but it was dropped due to Cutural reasons...In other words they didn't want to offend them...
    What about Frontierland would offend the Chinese?

^^^Nothing. Disney just wanted to cut corners and build a MK 'on the cheap' ... or because the locals prefer taking pictures, walking through gardens and meeting characters more than true magical Disney experiences. (Hey, that's what the press releases say, so it must be true!)

^^^

My guess would be that the gun slinging, pioneering spirit of America's old west runs a little counter to the Communist Chinese ideology. It's not exactly a free country over there like the wild wild west and the government probably wouldn't want their population to get any wild ideas.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mickhyperion
    ^^^

My guess would be that the gun slinging, pioneering spirit of America's old west runs a little counter to the Communist Chinese ideology. It's not exactly a free country over there like the wild wild west and the government probably wouldn't want their population to get any wild ideas.
    If that is the case, the communists are in for an uphill battle...as most HK citizens still believe in the democratic ways of living when they were under British ruling... even now with them wacky chinese in Peking calling the shots.

• Banned User

^^^

But you're assuming that Frontierland in HKDL would have been a gun sligning wild west Frontierland like in DLP. In the U.S. Parks, Frontierland is not that at all, it's all about Davy Crockett and Riverboats on the Mississippi, and Tom Sawyer. I know that when Walt Disney came up with the idea for Frontierland, he talked about St. Louis when it was the "Gateway to the West" and not cowboys and Tombstone, AZ, and Boot Hill.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    even now with them wacky chinese in Peking calling the shots.
    Yeah, that's why the airport code for Beijing is still PEK.

Quote Originally Posted by Adventurer
    But you're assuming that Frontierland in HKDL would have been a gun sligning wild west Frontierland like in DLP. In the U.S. Parks, Frontierland is not that at all, it's all about Davy Crockett and Riverboats on the Mississippi, and Tom Sawyer. I know that when Walt Disney came up with the idea for Frontierland, he talked about St. Louis when it was the "Gateway to the West" and not cowboys and Tombstone, AZ, and Boot Hill.
    In Walt's day there were cowboy gunfights that took place in the streets and on the rooftops of Frontierland, western stage coaches that used to ride through, along with the western style shooting gallery that still exists today, the newer Rancho Del Zocalo's southwestern/Zorro motif, etc. Frontierland is and always has been very much about the pioneering days of America's west. Davy Crockett died at the Alamo in Texas, remember, and those were guns they were using, not slingshots.
    Last edited by mickhyperion; 05-08-2005 at 09:45 PM.

it seems to me they were going for good symetry?

they made the park a nice little shape and put the train nice and tight around it

maybe the chinese will like that because of good energy flow or whatever they call it

I dislike the whole design they've really limited expansion

I don't get how the chinese would get frontierland any less then the japanese but whatever I suppose

the park will probably focas all of its new rides on those same three lands

I really don't expect them to ever really add a new land anytime soon

maybe Toontown under the trainstracs like at Disneyland but I'm doubting it

I'm betting they'll line the outter berm with a few Etickets but overall it'll just stay with what it's got

• Banned User

In Walt's day there were cowboy gunfights that took place in the streets and on the rooftops of Frontierland, western stage coaches that used to ride through, along with the western style shooting gallery that still exists today, the newer Rancho Del Zocalo's southwestern/Zorro motif, etc. Frontierland is and always has been very much about the pioneering days of America's west. Davy Crockett died at the Alamo in Texas, remember, and those were guns they were using, not slingshots.
    But it was never meant to be a wild west "cowboy" place. Cowbowys were but one small element of many that made up the entire American Fronitier, which during the time period Walt wanted to depict, was most of what we now know as the U.S.A., and not just the Far West/Southwest.

on the subject of Hong Kongs size which we keep coming back to (this being the most recent thread on such a thing)

I figured I should post an article from the well known Jim of Hill

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/artic...le.php?ID=1433

this article I think sums up everything quite nicely

the pictures that is not anything Jim would say

the map of HKDL shows pretty much everythings location and we know from the construction that there is pretty much zero room to really fit much more between attractions

interestingly enough Jim of Hill seems to ignore this in his article

looking at the model of Disneyland I notice one thing

there are three very largue gaps of space inbetween each land for developement

and this is not counting all the small spaces they eventualy ended up shoving things like Critter Country and Toontown

on another subject I was just thinking that in a way China's Adventureland would more more like their frontierland for their country wouldn't it?

of couse if you take that perspective then Frontierland really should've been included as a westernland or whatever were Disney could have shown them exotic and far away places (to them at least)

it would've been great if they'd pulled a switcheroo and made frontierland in Adventurelands usual spot and put adventureland in frontierland's place

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider
    the map of HKDL shows pretty much everythings location and we know from the construction that there is pretty much zero room to really fit much more between attractions
    According to Randy Savage on this Laughingplace.com post (scroll to post#15), space inside HKDL is not quite a problem yet as he fills in the proverbial holes based on the blueprints on display at EPCOT)

http://mb.laughingplace.com/default....esh=0509191700

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast