Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Watch Your Language

Jim Hill talks about future attractions at HKDL, Jim Hill Media, 2006-11-2

Speaking of construction schedules ... A pal at Imagineering just gave me a peek at the next five years' worth of projects for Hong Kong Disneyland. After HKDL's version of "it's a small world" opens in Fantasyland in late 2007 / early 2008, most of this theme park's future expansion will then be confined to Adventureland.

Well, perhaps "confined" isn't exactly the right word to use in this situation. Given that the Imagineers are planning on busting through the berm in order to facilitate guest access to that theme park's three huge expansion pads.

What area am I talking about? Well, if you'll look closely at the map below ...

Photo courtesy of Google Images

... You can clearly see where the Imagineers plan on building a walkway that will then take Hong Kong Disneyland guests under the train tracks and into this future expansion area.

Okay. Maybe you can't clearly see that walkway. Let me throw in a close-up of the area that I'm talking about. Do you now see those two thin grey lines that are crossing the train tracks?

This is where the walkway into the Adventureland expansion area will supposedly go. And -- if you look at this overview of the current footprint of Hong Kong Disneyland ...

... You'll see that we're talking about a huge piece of property. One that's big enough to hold a "Great White Hunter" version of the Haunted Mansion, a "Pirates of the Caribbean" themed redo of Splash Mountain as well as a clone of that popular new Tokyo DisneySea coaster, "Raging Spirits."

FYI: Hong Kong Disneyland isn't the only Disney theme park that may soon be getting a carbon copy of this recent Lost River Delta addition. The Imagineers have also reportedly been toying with adding "Raging Spirits" to the Adventureland section of WDW's Magic Kingdom. Since it's been more than a decade now since Disney World's signature theme park last got a new thrill ride.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Re: Jim Hill talks about future attractions at HKDL, Jim Hill Media, 2006-11-2

I tend to take everything Jim Hill prints with a grain of salt (who the heck is he, anyways?), but this seems to be consistent with information we have known about for a while now.

Thanks for the find, hongkongdisneyland.
    Last edited by Loomis; 11-03-2006 at 03:19 PM.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Minion FOREVER!

This isn't really new news. We've all talked about the large amount of space
    beyond the HKDL's DLRR berm here at MC. It is news about the pencil lines that goes thru the berm denoting a tunnel under the berm. That IMHO confirms this expansion plan.

BTW. the latest rumor I heard has it that the Raging Spirits was nixed. Any confirmation of that?

BTW: I agree w/ Loomis, I take everything Mr Hill write with a "grain of salf". However, he does
    get things right sometimes and he's usually "quick to the draw." Also he's more accurate on
    his historical stuff. It's the future and the current stuff that gets him into trouble.
    Last edited by nish221; 11-02-2006 at 03:29 PM. Reason: add paragraph

If those photos are really what WDI is planning on doing at Hong Kong Disneyland, then why do they just refuse to move the berm a bit? If i am not mistaken, the Disneyland Railroad had to be rerouted a couple times. Since the area is not as densly built up, do they just not worry about using the berm to keep the real world out? If they moved the berm, they might be able to get a better path into that area for better flow beacuse the path on the drawings looks like it would cause a nice bottleneck.

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by BNeumayr View Post
    If those photos are really what WDI is planning on doing at Hong Kong Disneyland, then why do they just refuse to move the berm a bit? If i am not mistaken, the Disneyland Railroad had to be rerouted a couple times. Since the area is not as densly built up, do they just not worry about using the berm to keep the real world out? If they moved the berm, they might be able to get a better path into that area for better flow beacuse the path on the drawings looks like it would cause a nice bottleneck.
    Couple of reasons that I can think of.

* First of all, even in DL, there are many rides beyond the berm (Indy, PoTC, iasw). Heck
    the entire ToonTown is beyond the "berm". However, there is an attempt to
    "keep the real world out" thru creative use of decorative features. (e.g. "hills" in
    Toontown.)
    * Moving the RR would cost major dollars/yuan AND be a major impact on the visitors.
    (for not much gain).
    * HKDL actually has *another * earthen berm beyond the one that the DLRR is on.
    * Completely agree that the point could be a bottleneck. It is pretty wide though.

BTW. welcome to MiceChat!

• HKDL is in my timezone!

Firstly, in regards to the railroad - because of the low number of attractions on site, HKDL needs all of them operating to satisfy guests. Closing the railway even for a week would be annoying for guests. Yes, there is the outer berm at HKDL, running through open space on the Adventureland side before going behind the operations and backstage buildings behind Fantasyland and Tomorrowland I believe? Perhaps the plan is to run the railroad out on this berm behind Adventureland once it's all built out?

In regards to the path; it's an extension of the main path through Adventureland, which is pretty wide and free flowing from my experience in the park. The only issue I could see is if the rafts to Tarzan Island are really popular and a showing of the Lion King is about to start then the crowds could swell out onto the main path, but it seemed to be fine when I was there. I suppose it also depends on how many things are on the other side of the berm, where their queues are and how popular they end up being.

The Raging Spirits rumours keep changing; it's either the coaster direct from TDS or it's a Pirates cross. Then the Pirates/Splash Mountain cross comes up again. I say wait and see what eventuates but I'd prefer they didn't clone Raging Spirits because then you have the same ride in Paris, Tokyo and HK and it isn't fantastic or very long.
    Upcoming Trips:
    Tokyo Disney Resort 20-22 January 2011

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by nish221 View Post
    beyond the HKDL's DLRR berm here at MC. It is news about the pencil lines that goes thru the berm denoting a tunnel under the berm. That IMHO confirms this expansion plan.
    Jim Hill and his "news". Anyone who went to the HKDL Preview Center in EPCOT last year (where this artwork Jim had was shown) got to see this line of a "plan" leading out to a coaster, one that appeared to be similar to BTM.
    These have been out for a while...and just because they were master planned during the construction of the park doesn't mean they will happen. Check out AK's master plan 1996 to what we have now...yeah...exactly.
    HM & Pirates. Yeah old rumors. Raging Spirits...again old rumors...but one that has been rumored to be squashed at this point due to lackluster response in TDS.
    Last edited by tloolgb; 11-02-2006 at 06:54 PM.

• Banned User

That quoted info posted on post #1 is very old news... We have known for quite sometime about the possible expansion on Adventureland past the railroad tracks. The map photo shown was one of the blueprints on display at EPCOT and we have all studied the details penciled in... Tell us something we don't know hongkongdisneyland...

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    Tell us something we don't know
    I'm currently without pants.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Minion

ORGOCH: Hey!! Orddu, ya dang tramp!! Give Loomis his pants back!!

• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Im sure it was either on Laughingplace or its magazine where talk about what all three attractions were going to be.so this is very old news indeed but could be a reason why as far as we know Small World isn't already in construction,and would back Loomis claim about spotting a crane at back of Fantasyland.All construction is quiently being kept to just the back of that park behind the beam for now.

As for what Jim Hill says,don't believe to seriously anything that man says,however credit to him he does write a entertaining article.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis View Post
    I'm currently without pants.
    PLease, send picture thru private email...

• Hello!

strange

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    PLease, send picture thru private email...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fantillusion View Post
    strange
    Yeah, I thought that too.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by Loomis View Post
    I tend to take every Jim Hill prints with a grain of salt (who the heck is he, anyways?),
    I agree, Jim Hill's witherings should be taken with a grain of salt, but unfortunately for some of us Disney geeks who love a good old Hill-bash, he is someone. Quite what someone I do not know, but he's big enough of a someone to feature heavily recently in the 100 Greatest Cartoons on national British television, as a 'Disney Animation Historian'.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California