Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 31011121314 LastLast

• Banned User

Re: This Week in Hong Kong Disneyland...

Quote Originally Posted by UncleMac View Post
    You sure do get around, weren't you in Japan just a few days ago?
    yes, I was in Tokyo yesterday, and will be there again tomorrow afternoon, so look for me at TDR for most of the afternoon and evening.

BTW... the weather cooperated to some degree today.. but still windy and raining on and off. The park had about 10,000 guests today (an estimate) and I was shocked, considering the bad weather conditions...

And YES, Autopia was OPENED.

And YES, construction continues in Adventureland...

And YES, I went there today and had a blast watching the IASW building turn into a light show extravaganza every 15 mins. One word for it: AWESOME!! Makes all of the other IASW buildings on Earth obsolete, with special mention to WDW's version which is now the absolute WORST IASW ever built.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    And YES, I went there today and had a blast watching the IASW building turn into a light show extravaganza every 15 mins. One word for it: AWESOME!! Makes all of the other IASW buildings on Earth obsolete, with special mention to WDW's version which is now the absolute WORST IASW ever built.
    Certainly that's true about the WDW exterior, but at least, what's inside, is still uncorrupted by commercialization.
    Down with the Hat

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by tasman View Post
    Certainly that's true about the WDW exterior, but at least, what's inside, is still uncorrupted by commercialization.
    True, but I will take the Disneyfied version of IASW any day over the horribly outdated and not properly maintained version we got stuck with at WDW.

• Banned User

TDLFAN, may I ask, how exactly do you get to Tokyo, Hong Kong, & Paris so often, if you live in Orlando?

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Manning View Post
    TDLFAN, may I ask, how exactly do you get to Tokyo, Hong Kong, & Paris so often, if you live in Orlando?
    I'd imagine he owns a magic carpet...
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Manning View Post
    I get on an airplane, just like anyone else.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    True, but I will take the Disneyfied version of IASW any day over the horribly outdated and not properly maintained version we got stuck with at WDW.
    Out of curiosity...since I have not been on the newer versions...how is the WDW world version outdated? While a lot of MK attractions could use some TLC I think IASW looks pretty good. Personally, from what I have seen on videos, etc, I would prefer it to a version with Disney characters and tunes.
    Down with the Hat

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Out of curiosity...since I have not been on the newer versions...how is the WDW world version outdated? While a lot of MK attractions could use some TLC I think IASW looks pretty good. Personally, from what I have seen on videos, etc, I would prefer it to a version with Disney characters and tunes.
    I rode the two versions within two weeks of each other last month, and while WDW's IASW doesn't look too shabby, IASW HK is just so vibrant that it is a noticeable difference. My personal feeling on the Disney characters is that they do add something to the ride, and it isn't done in an overpowering or obtrusive way. Sometimes it will be something as subtle as a piece of music from one of the films almost subliminally woven into the famous IASW theme, and in other parts it is more obvious (Cinderella, Lilo and Stitch). Even then, they just join the army of dolls that make the obvious jump from "it's a small world" to "it's a small (disney) world". Perhaps the only thing I'd say against the new HK version is that there are moments when some of the scenes get a little too close together for comfort. As the Chief Spy pointed out on our ride together, some of the new Asian scenes are a little too close together, creating something of a sensory overload of language, sound and song. I imagine this is what an acid trip would be like. At the end of the day*, it is by far the best version I've been on (and I've been on three now).

*At the end of the day is one of those annoying phrases, mainly because it isn't factually accurate.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Banned User

The post above pretty much described my take on this version of IASW. From the light show out front, to the colorful and unique scenes inside, featuring new lighting and special effects and set pieces... this version rocks. While WDW's still looks 1970 in feel, lighting and technical expertize. It'[s outdated and most of the time, some of the dolls are INOP. Enough said.

• Minion

ORWEN: Walt Disney World's version of It's a Small World was updated a couple of years ago and it seemed a lot better than it did before that. But I'm also sure I'd like the Hong Kong Version better, from all the pictures everybody's been putting up.

Like, there are still some spaces for IASW and it MAY expand...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by leungky View Post
    Like, there are still some spaces for IASW and it MAY expand...
    That does not make sense. The attraction is fininished, and expansion is not possible. The only thing that can be done is revisions to current scenes.. but expansion? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva
    Walt Disney World's version of It's a Small World was updated a couple of years ago and it seemed a lot better than it did before that. But I'm also sure I'd like the Hong Kong Version better, from all the pictures everybody's been putting up.
    What they did at WDW was a joke. Yes, they improved the sound, and yes they repainted the walls.. but an "update" it wasn't. If they have updated it, there would have been newly built sets, new lighting systems and effects, more vibrant color and highly detailed and quality costumes on the dolls... of which in my educated opinion, HKDL's version has....and the MK version lacks sorely. Even the Mary Blain facade they installed in the indoor queue is below quality and already in need of re-touches.

• Minion

ORDDU: Well, it may not have been a satisfactory update, but it was still an update, dear. After all, the attraction was closed down for an entire year. It seemed fresher after it reopened. But it's also true that certain aspects of it haven't been very well maintained since. There were a lot of burnt out light bulbs we've been noticing over the past serveral months. These bulbs haven't been replaced when they burn out, either.

• Banned User

I guess the only way to explain this is to ride both the HKDL and MK versions to really "see" what I mean. The MK is simply bland.

• Reluctant Uncle

I don't mind that characters at all, but since my first encounter with IASW was in HKDL, I'm probably being partial to what I'm familiar with, but you couldn't deny that it wasn't vibrant.

I think that the comparisons brought up are mainly about the 'age' difference between the two, like comparing cassettes to CDs. Out-of-date, sure, but still a bit functional, and has that nostalgic feel to it (probably, I wouldn't know). Still, I'm pretty sure that the MK's IASW was pretty good back when it was new (like the humble cassette) and management will eventually take on the task of bringing this ride up to par with its peers.

In the meantime, I'm curious as to what is happening in HKDL.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 31011121314 LastLast