• Banned User

Guernsey, Channel Islands, United Kingdom

Hong Kong & Disneyland planning advice!

Right I've just recently changed jobs and due to this reason I'm canceling my upcoming trip to Orlando,FL.Now I've already paid the deposit for this trip and don't really want to loose out so Im concidering speaking to my travel company about perhaps moving the dates and location.The location being Hong Kong where I plan to possibly spend a day or maybe two at Hong Kong Disneyland (Only Disney park I've yet to visited) and spending a few days taking in some of the other attractions this fantastic city has to offer.Now here comes my first question, before I can book anything I need to find a good hotel and I've looked at a few locations,however as someone who is not aware of the Hong Kong area I was wondering if anyone on here would be able to offer me some advice,One of the places Im looking at is a hotel around Causeway Bay,can anyone else recomend this area to stay.Far as Im concern staying onsite at one of the Hong Kong Disneyland hotels is out of the question as I refuse to pay the over the top prices that Disney charges.So if anyone would like to recomend a good area to stay I'd love to hear it thanks

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Re: Hong Kong & Disneyland planning advice!

Just by way of conversation, the Hong Kong Disneyland Hotels are actually far more reasonable than any of the other Disney hotels around the world. I can't speak for the Disneyland Hotel, but the Hollywood Hotel is certainly one of the 'best kept secrets' in terms of incredibly high quality at a reasonable price.

However, if you are determined to stay off site...

I'd recommend staying in Kowloon, as opposed to Hong Kong Island (where Causeway Bay is). While Hong Kong Island and Causeway bay are both great for shopping, and are ultimately near the heart of the central business district, I just found that Kowloon gave me more of the 'Chinese' culture than Hong Kong Island did. I stayed at the Kowloon Hotel in Tsim Sha Tsui for the first half of my journey, and found it to be quite nice (albeit, the rooms were a bit small, although that seems to be common in Hong Kong). I was right in front of the Tsim Sha Tsui train station, which took me straight to a number of places on the MTR Line, including Hong Kong Island. It is also less than 5 minutes walk to the Star Ferry Pier, museums and you are right on the corner of Nathan Road (BIG shopping strip). It is also on Salisbury Rd, which is another central place. We found it an incredibly great place to pop out and enjoy major chains like HMV, the Hard Rock Cafe and the shopping malls, along with the smaller shops, the Kowloon Park and local attractions.

Regardless of where you stay, you'll probably be pretty close to everything. Causeway Bay is also nice and handy, and it is also one of Hong Kong's major shopping districts. If I remember correctly, you'll be on the Island line of the MTR and once you get to Central, everything is pretty easy from there. As far as hotels in the area go, that I can't recommend. However, if you can find something that looks pretty nice at a reasonable price, rest assured you are going to be pretty close to everything. If you are staying on Hong Kong Island, you may also want to invesitigate Ocean Park.

Finally, and I can't recommend this enough, get yourself an Octopus Card. It is an invaluable thing that allows you to travel on pretty much any form of public transport, and even pay for small goods. You can charge it up, and get a refund under certain conditions before you leave.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

Yeah, Loomis is right, the disney hotels in HK is quite reasonable, as compared to others around the world.
    We stayed near Causeway bay this Aug, it's the first time we've stayed on this side of HK. On prior visits, we've always stayed in Kowloon.Either sides are just as great.The mass rapid transport there is so efficient it really doesn't matter much where you stay.And yes, get the Octopus card, it saves you a bundle.

• HKDL is in my timezone!

I agree with pretty much everything that everyone has said so far but have a little more to add:
    I've only ever stayed on the Kowloon side so I can't give a balanced comparison of what it's like to stay on the island, but all my Kowloon experiences have been great. I like to stay at the Prudential Hotel on Nathan Road. It has great access to the city because it's attached to a shopping building that sits on top of Jordan MTR station and has its own entrance, allowing quick and easy access to the trains at any time without having to step outside if the weather is bad. Alternatively you can choose to step out onto Nathan Road and experience the atmosphere of the place. It is always great to walk down Nathan Road from the hotel, past Kowloon Park all the way down to the waterfront, where you can take the Star Ferry, goto the cruise terminal shopping centre (Disney store inside), the Art Museum, Space Museum, Avenue of Stars and more.
    The hotel is also a short trip on the free shuttle bus from Kowloon Airport Express station, a service that is included in the Airport Express ticket. When you leave its also easy to just take the MTR direct to Central and then check in your bags at Hong Kong Airport Express station, giving you the freedom to continue sightseeing without your bags until your flight departs!

I did a day trip to HKDL using the MTR last time I was at the Prudential and it was quick and easy, taking about 30 mins to get to the resort MTR station. The only problem we had with this was that we wanted to extend the Disney experience beyond the 1 day that we had, but it wasn't exactly convenient to go out to Lantau Island when we were doing other things in HK.
    This time (in February) I'm staying at the HKDL Hollywood Hotel and visiting the park for 2 days. I'm also going to explore Ngong Ping 360, the new attraction on Lantau while I'm staying at the resort because it will be easier and faster to get to it from HKDL Resort than from HK Island or Kowloon. This will allow me to continue the Disney experience even when I'm not in the park and hopefully satisfy me better than the single day trip did. I'm then moving to a hotel in Kowloon for the rest of the stay to do all the normal HK stuff.

Octopus card is great as everyone has said, you can even buy your McDonald's with it! The Airport Express Tourist Octopus may be the best option for you, as it includes Airport Express trips (1 or 2, it's your choice) or you can get a regular Octopus.
    Upcoming Trips:
    Tokyo Disney Resort 20-22 January 2011

It really depends on what you are interested in and what you want to do before people can recommend where to stay.

There are many high end shops, traditional Chinese restaurants and a good nightlife area, Lan Kwai Fong, in Central. There are huge shopping areas in Mongkok and Causeway Bay. Both places nearly do not sleep.

Then there are the traditional fishing villages in the outlying islands like Cheung Chau and Ping Chau. Also there is wonderful countryside trails in Sai Kung and Lantau.

• Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by Malin View Post
    Right I've just recently changed jobs and due to this reason I'm canceling my upcoming trip to Orlando,FL.Now I've already paid the deposit for this trip and don't really want to loose out so Im concidering speaking to my travel company about perhaps moving the dates and location.The location being Hong Kong where I plan to possibly spend a day or maybe two at Hong Kong Disneyland (Only Disney park I've yet to visited) and spending a few days taking in some of the other attractions this fantastic city has to offer.Now here comes my first question, before I can book anything I need to find a good hotel and I've looked at a few locations,however as someone who is not aware of the Hong Kong area I was wondering if anyone on here would be able to offer me some advice,One of the places Im looking at is a hotel around Causeway Bay,can anyone else recomend this area to stay.Far as Im concern staying onsite at one of the Hong Kong Disneyland hotels is out of the question as I refuse to pay the over the top prices that Disney charges.So if anyone would like to recomend a good area to stay I'd love to hear it thanks
    Without knowing yr budget etc, it is difficult to make any recommendations.
    but as others have mentioned, Disney's Hollywood Hotel at HKDL is quite reasonable in terms of price and service. If you stay at the Resort, you have better access to NP 360 (the cable car ride), Po Lin Monastery/Tian Tan Big Buddha, and the new Skyplaza (New Terminal 2 at HK International Airport, with a new shopping centre, 4D Cinema and a entertainment centre) to be opened in December 2006.

Perhaps u could stay one day at the resort and the rest in hotels on either Hong Kong island or Kowloon.

If you are interested in Shopping, places of interests are Causeway Bay, Mongkok, TST, etc. Some places like Sai Kung, Outlying Islands etc are also worth to explore.
    Last edited by HongKongDisneyland; 11-23-2006 at 12:59 AM.

• Banned User

Thank you so much for so far for all the great advice you guys have all offered.Seems to be no matter where in Hong Kong you stay everything is within easy distance providing your hotel is near the MTR Station.I've narrowed it down to two choices one in Causeway Bay and another in the TsimShaTsui area.Both are within easy walking distance of respected stations.

As for my interest well I most certainly want to spend atleast a day or two at Hong Kong Disneyland.But as for what else I want to do Im hoping you can recomend some must see attractions to do while Im in Hong Kong.A trip up to Victoria Peak and a trip on the ferry to watch A Symphony of Lights both look possible and as well as Ocean Park.How hard is it to get to Repulse Bay and the Wetlands park ?

Also its now looking possible I'll be going to Hong Kong in the second week of May 2007.How is this week for weather and will Hong Kong be crowded that week ?

• Watch Your Language

Thank you so much for so far for all the great advice you guys have all offered.Seems to be no matter where in Hong Kong you stay everything is within easy distance providing your hotel is near the MTR Station.I've narrowed it down to two choices one in Causeway Bay and another in the TsimShaTsui area.Both are within easy walking distance of respected stations.

As for my interest well I most certainly want to spend atleast a day or two at Hong Kong Disneyland.But as for what else I want to do Im hoping you can recomend some must see attractions to do while Im in Hong Kong.A trip up to Victoria Peak and a trip on the ferry to watch A Symphony of Lights both look possible and as well as Ocean Park.How hard is it to get to Repulse Bay and the Wetlands park ?

Also its now looking possible I'll be going to Hong Kong in the second week of May 2007.How is this week for weather and will Hong Kong be crowded that week ?
    Wetland Park is in the North Western Part of N.T. (New Territories) close to the HongKong-Shenzhen Boundary, I suggest you to skip it if you stay in HK for just 3 days.

Ocean Park is now undergoing the initial phase of its transformation (the HK$ 5.55 billion redevelopment) into a new Theme Park. They are going to tear down some existing structures and buildings. I suggest you to skip it as well if you only stay in HK for 3 days. Come back to see the New HK Ocean Park and New attractions at HK Disneyland a couple of years later.

As far as weather is concerned, May is quite HOT and Humid in Hong Kong.
    The 1st week of May is the Golden Week of Mainland China. if you plan to come over in the 2nd week of May, probably not too crowded.

Actually how many days u r going to spend in HK?
    Last edited by HongKongDisneyland; 11-28-2006 at 10:56 AM.

• Banned User

Hi HongKongDisneyland I'm hoping to spend probarely 5-6 days in Hong Kong.So any recomendations on what to do each day!

• Watch Your Language

Hi HongKongDisneyland I'm hoping to spend probarely 5-6 days in Hong Kong.So any recomendations on what to do each day!
    Do u like "shopping"?
    How about local culture? beaches? parks? hiking? walking?

• Banned User

Im looking for a taste of Hong Kong and Im into all the above.Only thing Im certainly doing during my trip is Disney.A part from that Im open for sugestions.

A great place to stay that is very affordable is the YMCA in Kowloon. It is pretty nice and you would never guess that it was just a YMCA. If you want a nice view, I would definately reccomend trying to get a room with a harbor view, as the view can't be beat. You can watch the nightly laser show from there without any problems too. It is near Nathan Road (I think it is one block away, on the other side of the Penninsula Hotel), and there is also a large Sogo mall just across the street. It is also near the ferry to Hong Kong Island. The rooms aren't the fanciest things around, but they are certainly on par with your average Comfort Inn, and it is definately one of the city's hidden gems.

• Banned User

Thanks for the recomendation