• Watch Your Language

Disney ups intake for new year, The Standard News,2006-12-20

Hong Kong Disneyland is set for a bumper Lunar New Year in February after being given the green light to increase its daily visitor intake from 28,000 to 34,000.

With additional seating areas and dining and supporting facilities, the theme park has won approval from the Food and Environmental Hygiene Department to expand its visitor capacity.

Managing director Bill Ernest said he was hopeful the festive mood would continue through Christmas and the New Year period to bolster ticket sales during the Lunar New Year, which falls on February 18.

It will be the second Lunar New Year since Hong Kong Disneyland opened, and is expected to be a litmus test for the park's new management team headed by Ernest.

The last Lunar New Year saw chaotic scenes at the theme park as scores of mainland tourists tried to barge their way in by climbing over the fences at the main entrance after being denied entry due to confusion over the type of tickets issued to mainland travel agencies and sold to tourists.
    The incident seriously tarnished the attraction's image abroad and in the mainland despite the park management's public apologies.

The new management said it has learned a lesson from the incident and taken "well-orchestrated" measures to prevent a repeat of the chaos during the coming Lunar New Year golden-week break. It said communication with mainland travel agents has been stepped up, and a sophisticated reservation ticketing system has been introduced, particularly for tour groups.

According to Glendy Chu Yee-lin, Hong Kong Disneyland's media relations director, a publicity campaign has been launched in major mainland cities to promote the new ticketing system and improve communication with major travel agencies.

"We're unable to estimate individual ticket sales at this stage, but close monitoring of tourist flow during the week-long peak period can help us adjust ticket sales at MTR stations and at our booths at the main entrance," Ernest said.
    Source : The Standard News

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Re: Disney ups intake for new year, The Standard News,2006-12-20

I was reading something about this in the South China Morning Post yesterday as well. Apparently, the increased capacity is largely attributed to the opening of Autopia, Stitch Encounter and UFO Zone. The three new attractions aim to increase it even more.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

That is what attractions do. I don't know how UFO Zone really helps since it is simply space that was acessable before but both Stitch and Autopia open up new theaters rides and queues to hold more people.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb View Post
    That is what attractions do.
    They also amuse people and make them sing happy tunes. I enjoy the cheesy retro ambience.

I also enjoy a lack of pants, and may not be the best person to trust on this.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• I need my Disney fix NOW!

Autopia and Stitch have somewhat lower hourly capacity than, say, Buzz or Pooh (For Stitch, I recalled the CMs telling me that each session with Stitch was limited to about 100 people max. Assuming each session lasts about 10 minutes, we're talking about hourly capacity of about 600), but it's a start.

Sure beats tossing babies over the fences.
    Disneyland - Apr 1998
    Walt Disney World - Dec 2001
    TDR - Jun 1996, Apr 2000, Apr 2002, May 2008, Jun 2009
    HKDL - Dec 2005, Dec 2006